Thread: Dick Tracy

Default Dick Tracy

Is anybody following the DICK TRACY syndicated newspaper strip not that Mike and Joe have been on it for a while ?????
    Do you think an indie title , basically just reprinting the newspaper strip , could swing ? Even one so purist as to be in black & white on the interiors ( Which , according to Joe , is the " true " version of the dalies . ) ?
    Probably not...........

Isn't IDW already reprinting them in hardcover? They were already reprinted as comics by Blackthorne in the 80s and 90s

...I'm referring to Mike curtis and Joe Staton's present-day version , Ish .
    GoComics has it in color , the non-colorized " true " B&Ws are at Comic Strip Nation ( Joe has stated - We're Facebook'd - that he considers the B&Ws dailies the " true " , making it one of few such strips now . )

Well, they use to carry Tracy years ago in the New York Daily News, but it's been ages since he was in the Sunday comics section of that paper. And, I must admit, I haven't gone on-line to read the daily strip. (The one newspaper I read daily doesn't have comic strips.)

I still love a bargain book I got as a kid:

The Celebrated Cases of Dick Tracy, which, interestingly enough, seemed to have some pre-1940 daily strips in color.

I have been tempted to get

Since Celebrated Cases has Oct. 12 - Nov. 13, 1931 and then skips ahead to 1937 with The Blank.

Does anyone know if the Mike Curtis & Joe Staton run is being collected any time soon?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I had no idea that Joe Staton was currently working on Dick Tracy. Good for him cuz I always liked his work. They should collect it. I havn't read Tracy since the Max Allan Collins days. I have (thru IDW and Blackthorne) the stripes up to the early Moon Maid period and a Max Allan Collins collection and enjoyed them all

Quote Originally Posted by Ish Kabbible View Post
    I had no idea that Joe Staton was currently working on Dick Tracy. Good for him cuz I always liked his work. They should collect it. I havn't read Tracy since the Max Allan Collins days. I have (thru IDW and Blackthorne) the stripes up to the early Moon Maid period and a Max Allan Collins collection and enjoyed them all

------------------------------------------------

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dick-tracy-20121228csdty-a-large.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	106502

Name:	dick-tracy-20121229csdty-a-large.jpg 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	106503

Name:	dick-tracy-20121230csdty-a-large.jpg 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	106504
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

------------------------------------------------

Name:	dick-tracy-20121228csdty-a-large.jpg 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	106502

Name:	dick-tracy-20121229csdty-a-large.jpg 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	106503

Name:	dick-tracy-20121230csdty-a-large.jpg 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	106504
    Those strips look really good, we definitely need a collection of that.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

I have been tempted to get

Since Celebrated Cases has Oct. 12 - Nov. 13, 1931 and then skips ahead to 1937 with The Blank.
    I have been playing with the idea of buying this myself. I think CBR just posted some preview pages of Volume 14, and reading that it brought back some memories. Not that I read DT in the '50s ('80s) but I've always loved DT.

I was going to start with Vol. 1 and then go from there. Anyone have/recommend this?
    Top 10:Cyclops. Nightcrawler. Magik. Juggernaut (Cain Marko). Magneto. Hulk. Mr.Sinister. Emma Frost. Deadpool. Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by graffiX View Post
    I have been playing with the idea of buying this myself. I think CBR just posted some preview pages of Volume 14, and reading that it brought back some memories. Not that I read DT in the '50s ('80s) but I've always loved DT.

I was going to start with Vol. 1 and then go from there. Anyone have/recommend this?
    Don't know if this will help you decide or not, but here are a couple scans of very early Dick Tracy they had in The Celebrated Cases.

----------------------------------------------------

Name:	DT 001.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	106631

Name:	DT 002.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	106633
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DT 002.jpg  
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 01-02-2013 at 12:18 PM.

The curious one.

The daily strip has been a delight.

BANNED

That's some amazing art.

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

Don't know if this will help you decide or not, but here are a couple scans of very early Dick Tracy they had in The Celebrated Cases.

----------------------------------------------------

Name:	DT 001.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	106631

Name:	DT 002.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	106633
    Wow, great stuff! Thank you so much for taking the time to post those scans.

I was curious, does anyone know if an original copy of that October Detroit Mirrior of 1931 exists? I was wondering what something like that would cost. I'm sure if copies DO exist, they are far out of my price range. (The reason I ask is part of my collecting focus is collecting first appearances)
    Top 10:Cyclops. Nightcrawler. Magik. Juggernaut (Cain Marko). Magneto. Hulk. Mr.Sinister. Emma Frost. Deadpool. Legion.

By the way, some references to Batman / Gotham City / Penguin in recent strips:

Name:	tmdic130101.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	106819

Name:	tmdic130104.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	106820

Name:	tmdic130105.jpg 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	106821

Default Indies: Dick Tracy

By the way, some references to Batman / Gotham City / Penguin in recent strips:

Name:	tmdic130101.jpg 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	106819

Name:	tmdic130104.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	106820

Name:	tmdic130105.jpg 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	106821
    I guess I'm reading these threads in reverse order.So this is where you got the idea to merge Tracy/Batman/Gordon.Still say that First Wave sours this idea for me.DC fans won't support it anyway.