Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Nice synopsis, Mets. And it is probably for the reasons you outlined that you see far more mini-series and even one-shots from Marvel these days than we used to; they are more economically viable than committing to an ongoing series, albeit one that they could cancel whenever they wish.
    Minis, aside from event tie-ins, tend to sell worse than regular series. However, it's always a good thing for Marvel to have accessible standalone Spider-Man volumes in bookstores for interested new readers. That's a category where Spidey hasn't done that well in the past, mainly because the best stories tend to be parts of larger creative runs, although this could also be that they haven't hired enough people for minis and one-shots. DC had the reverse with so many great self-contained Batman stories, thanks to mini-series, one-shots and TPB length arcs in anthologies, in addition to all those guys who came on one of the main titles for just a few issues and made something like Year One, The Many Death of Batman, Broken City, Hush or Blind Justice) and less great runs.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Marvel doesn't do as many minis and one-shots as they did 2-3 years ago, probably for the sales reasons Mets mentioned (Alonso may have confirmed such, if memory serves). Now they say they'd rather just do those things in the main book, like the return of Sabretooth. Those kinds of attitudes always seem kind of fluid, though, and could probably change at any time.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Books end for a lot of reasons. Sometimes sales just aren't good enough to justify continuing the title under any circumstances. Sometimes sales aren't good enough for a book that requires more work than a completely standalone series. Venom, for example, would require some coordination with the Spider-Man comics, or at the very least, prevent Spider-Man writers from being able to use one of their top villains. Sometimes sales are good, but an artist essential to the title is burned out. See Alex Maleev on Spider-Woman. Sometimes sales would justify a cheaper artist, but they decide not to go in that direction. See Nextwave where Stuart Immonen didn't want to take a pay cut, and Warren Ellis didn't want to work with anyone else. Sometimes a book comes to a natural endpoint. See Bendis/ Gaydos's Alias. Sometimes the company thinks a book doesn't fit the line. When Quesada took over Marvel, John Byrne's X-Men Hidden Years was abruptly concluded even though sales were okay, because they felt there were too many X-books coming up.

Salaries vary, so the teams on books that don't sell well tend to get paid less than the teams on books that sell well. Marvel also has expenses self-contained Indy books don't have, and there may be a concern that they're flooding the market if they publish too much material that just doesn't sell well enough. The general impression is that 20,000 copies is the cancellation zone.
    Cool, thanks for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Marvel doesn't do as many minis and one-shots as they did 2-3 years ago, probably for the sales reasons Mets mentioned (Alonso may have confirmed such, if memory serves). Now they say they'd rather just do those things in the main book, like the return of Sabretooth. Those kinds of attitudes always seem kind of fluid, though, and could probably change at any time.
    I suppose you're right, Dog. Boy, there were a buttload of them right after BND launched just in the Spidey corner of the universe. I still think they do a lot of them but Mets is correct that they rarely sell all that well.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

ICV2 posted their estimates a week ago, and no one here noticed.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/26892.html
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

I suppose you're right, Dog. Boy, there were a buttload of them right after BND launched just in the Spidey corner of the universe. I still think they do a lot of them but Mets is correct that they rarely sell all that well.
    There is nothing wrong with doing a mini-series or a one shot on Spider-Man. I think that the best way of doing it is to keep it within an on-going regular series like Avenging Spider-Man or Marvel Knights: Spider-Man with excellent guest writers(and one permanent artist who can maintain a deadline) who would bring in characters into Spider-Man's world who would normally not appear in the regular book like Psylocke or The Red Skull.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    ICV2 posted their estimates a week ago, and no one here noticed.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/26892.html
    We are just lazy and were waiting for you to provide the link. I don't really understand the gap between SSM #17 and #18 at all, although both certainly sold very well. It seems to indicate that a bunch of fans jumped off after the first part of the 2099 tale but I find that hard to believe based on the feedback here. Superior Team-Up is still selling a bit better than Avenging was---but not by that much which makes me wonder if it will "catch up" (down?) in sales in another few issues. Glad to see Foes still selling 30,000 copies---let's see if it can stabilize somewhere around there and that would be quite an accomplishment.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

I sort of noticed.

It feels like October is going to be a strong month for SSM with so many exciting things happening in the book right now.

We are just lazy and were waiting for you to provide the link. I don't really understand the gap between SSM #17 and #18 at all, although both certainly sold very well. It seems to indicate that a bunch of fans jumped off after the first part of the 2099 tale but I find that hard to believe based on the feedback here. Superior Team-Up is still selling a bit better than Avenging was---but not by that much which makes me wonder if it will "catch up" (down?) in sales in another few issues. Glad to see Foes still selling 30,000 copies---let's see if it can stabilize somewhere around there and that would be quite an accomplishment.
    The sales here don't really represent fans jumping off - they're orders based by retailers and confirmed weeks before the comics come out. It's possible #17 got slightly more orders just because it's the first reappearance of 2099 and might have some speculator value, and I believe it had slightly more variant covers too. Both issues still sold slightly more than #15 and #16.

October Sales

Its that time of the month again; and Superior makes it back to the top ten as the best Marvel ongoing. I really thought #19 would suddenly do exceptionally well, with all the fan fair from Parker fans about him returning. But that doesn't seem to be the case here ?
    Last edited by Pako; 11-10-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Given the stiff competition in the Top Ten...
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by Pako View Post
    October Sales

Its that time of the month again; and Superior makes it back to the top ten as the best Marvel ongoing. I really thought #19 would suddenly do exceptionally well, with all the fan fair from Parker fans about him returning. But that doesn't seem to be the case here ?
    With both Marvel and DC in the middle of events and the return of Neil Gaiman to Sandman, both SSM issues making it into the top ten is doing exceptionally well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pako View Post
    October Sales

It seems like it did what it's done very consistently; sold in the top ten, as one of the top few ongoings. Other that first issues or events, it was behind only Walking Dead, Batman, and Justice League… That's pretty much been it's spot, Marvel's top-selling ongoing, behind only events, #1 issues, and Batman and JL. I don't know the last time any Spidey book was selling so well…

It makes for good conversation: Many people assumed that Marvel had a set number of issues planned for Superior, with the most common prediction being "It will end when ASM2 comes out"… We don't know what the plans were or are. For the sake of conversation, let's say "Petes back for ASM2" was the plan. Does that change given the continued tremendous sales? Of course Marvel expected Superior to sell well, but I wonder if it's exceeded expectations. Do you think Marvel would cancel such a great-selling book, if this were the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    It seems like it did what it's done very consistently; sold in the top ten, as one of the top few ongoings. Other that first issues or events, it was behind only Walking Dead, Batman, and Justice League… That's pretty much been it's spot, Marvel's top-selling ongoing, behind only events, #1 issues, and Batman and JL. I don't know the last time any Spidey book was selling so well…

It makes for good conversation: Many people assumed that Marvel had a set number of issues planned for Superior, with the most common prediction being "It will end when ASM2 comes out"… We don't know what the plans were or are. For the sake of conversation, let's say "Petes back for ASM2" was the plan. Does that change given the continued tremendous sales? Of course Marvel expected Superior to sell well, but I wonder if it's exceeded expectations. Do you think Marvel would cancel such a great-selling book, if this were the case?
    Yes, they would. Just look at Dark Avengers.

Mind you, I think this is a very different situation from DA.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post

I have had the same fear; here's hoping Marvel sticks with their original "exit plan" and is not seduced by the continued strong performance of SSSM: just look what happened in the 90's with the Clone Saga…..
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008