Page 95 of 182 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 2723

Quote Originally Posted by Lars C View Post
    How about gloating about SSM #10 will make readers even more angry? Or laughing about angry reader reactions in the AR video of SSM #1? TO name just a few. That's not very respectful of the readers, IMHO. And that's what I have an issue with.
    It's not disrespectful to the great majority of the readership, it's disrespectful to crackpots who work themselves into a lather over ultimately unimportant things, sometimes even imagining future stories to get further upset about. Maybe folks like that need a little good-natured ribbing to shake something loose?
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar

Of course that's important. How the writer, artist and editor view the readers/customers means something. But you often use the "it's only on you" excuse. Kinda lame.
    means something to you. for many, many...many others, it doesn't factor in at all. so again, you should avoid those types of things.

Well, Spider-Man is not the only comic where controversial stuff happens. I'm not sure, but I don't even think the X-Men fans has reacted this vocally during all this AvX stuff. I don't know for sure, though, left that mess and started reading when All-New X-Men started. Sometimes I think there is just something "broken" about Spider-Man as a character, causing the staff to scream and bang the hype drum as loud as they can, beacuse do they really have any other chance?
    you have quite obviously never been to a X-board.
    "I'm sending him a bouquet of cans."

SW

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    It's not disrespectful to the great majority of the readership, it's disrespectful to crackpots who work themselves into a lather over ultimately unimportant things, sometimes even imagining future stories to get further upset about. Maybe folks like that need a little good-natured ribbing to shake something loose?
    exactly, lighten up

SW

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    And how would that good-natured ribbing be? I kinda wish I saw more of that good nature and respect from Slott and Wacker?

And how would that good-natured ribbing be? I kinda wish I saw more of that good nature and respect from Slott and Wacker?
    if you can't spot the crackpot in the room, then...

SW

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Smith View Post
    means something to you. for many, many...many others, it doesn't factor in at all. so again, you should avoid those types of things.

you have quite obviously never been to a X-board.
    Obviously it means much to many, many others too, since Dan Slott is getting so much criticism on the net for the "Dying Wish" story and the subsequent Superior Spider-Man? I'm absolutely not among those who did death threats, and there's no excuse for it either. None whatsoever. But those examples I mentioned about the "marketing" of this book, I still fail to see how that is good-natured.

if you can't spot the crackpot in the room, then...
    Gee, thanks. Classy. Was that your excuse when you bullied people at school?
    Last edited by Lars C; 02-11-2013 at 05:49 AM.

I know right. I especially liked that humble time he argued with Rob Liefeld about how successful he was on Batman.
    I followed that exchange. I thought he was humble and handled himself quite well. Rob was completely out of line with some of the things he was saying

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Obviously it means much to many, many others too, since Dan Slott is getting so much criticism on the net for the "Dying Wish" story and the subsequent Superior Spider-Man? I'm absolutely not among those who did death threats, and there's no excuse for it either. None whatsoever. But those examples I mentioned about the "marketing" of this book, I still fail to see how that is good-natured.
    Death threats aside, fan reaction to some of the things said by Slott (which were fairly innocuous by the way) has been waaay over the top.

Honestly, this is a case of some people looking for things to get angry and upset about. This point is further emphasized by the fact that the outrage was pouring out before Dying wish was even completed and before SSM 2 (the imaginary rape issue) even hit the stands. I mean, there was a fan on ifanboy.com that said that ASM #700 violated him. That's just crap and is a totally amateurish reaction. Some of which was (rightly) mocked by Wacker and Slott in the AR app.

Jokes apart, Slott hasn't done anything to cause existential crisis amongst these fans. Is this the first time Peter Parker was replaced, hell no (remember how the Scarlet Spider books replaced the Spider-man books?) Superior Spider-man is just a story, nothing and nothing less. There's nothing in the book that should hurt or offend people.

At the end of the day, if one doesn't enjoy it, stop reading it.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

I have to get this AR app, I'm missing out on so much

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    Death threats aside, fan reaction to some of the things said by Slott (which were fairly innocuous by the way) has been waaay over the top.

Honestly, this is a case of some people looking for things to get angry and upset about. This point is further emphasized by the fact that the outrage was pouring out before Dying wish was even completed and before SSM 2 (the imaginary rape issue) even hit the stands. I mean, there was a fan on ifanboy.com that said that ASM #700 violated him. That's just crap and is a totally amateurish reaction. Some of which was (rightly) mocked by Wacker and Slott in the AR app.

Jokes apart, Slott hasn't done anything to cause existential crisis amongst these fans. Is this the first time Peter Parker was replaced, hell no (remember how the Scarlet Spider books replaced the Spider-man books?) Superior Spider-man is just a story, nothing and nothing less. There's nothing in the book that should hurt or offend people.

Sure, fan reactions have been over the top, I don't disagree with you there. It's silly to react in that way as you describe, but how does that warrant mocking fans? Really? I see plenty of examples where they just want to put fuel on that fire, because I guess that generates the sales?

Don't you understand? I have spent years reading Peter Parker. I get home on comic book day and I look FORWARD to that COMFORTING Peter Parker adventure that is ALWAYS THE SAME! I am ENTITLED to this! ENTITLED!!!

This is what I think some people are really experiencing, honestly. Too much time, too much investment, too much 'comfort reading' not being so comfortble anymore.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Sure, fan reactions have been over the top, I don't disagree with you there. It's silly to react in that way as you describe, but how does that warrant mocking fans? Really? I see plenty of examples where they just want to put fuel on that fire, because I guess that generates the sales?
    They're mocking the over the top reaction because it's an "over the top reaction".

I mean, jeez, this is just comics we're talking about.

There is a good argument to be made against creators mocking fans. However, some reactions to the book have been soooo ridiculous that it would be hard to ignore as a creator.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

They're mocking the over the top reaction because it's an "over the top reaction".

I mean, jeez, this is just comics we're talking about.

There is a good argument to be made against creators mocking fans. However, some reactions to the book have been soooo ridiculous that it would be hard to ignore as a creator.
    I'm not disagreeing with you, many reactions have been just too much. But that doesn't give the creators the right to mock these and acting like that. They should be above it. They only do it because they know most fans still buy the book, but some respect and appreciation for the readers wouldn't be so bad, would it? And I can see few who go that distance of mocking the fans than the Spidey staff do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Don't you understand? I have spent years reading Peter Parker. I get home on comic book day and I look FORWARD to that COMFORTING Peter Parker adventure that is ALWAYS THE SAME! I am ENTITLED to this! ENTITLED!!!

This is what I think some people are really experiencing, honestly. Too much time, too much investment, too much 'comfort reading' not being so comfortble anymore.
    You're probably absolutely right, but Dan Slott, the self proclaimed "World's greatest Spidey fan" should be able to sympathize more with that. Honestly.