Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default SDCC: Harrison Ford Addresses Orson Scott Card "Ender's Game" Controversy

Full article here.

Your shoelaces are untied Kalen O.'s Avatar

I am so freaking tired of people missing the point or trying to make this into something that its not.

“I think none of Mr. Card’s concerns regarding the issue of gay marriage are part of the thematics of this film,” Ford said Thursday during a press conference for Ender’s Game at Comic-Con International in San Diego.
    The boycotts aren't about Card's concerns. If everyone boycotted everything that was created by someone who had different views or beliefs than them, money would hardly ever change hands. Card's BELIEFS, abhorrent as they are, aren't the issue. The boycotts are because a lot of people have a lot of problems putting their money in the hands of someone who actively funds anti-gay campaigns of all sorts, not just limited to gay marriage battles. As a producer of the film, Card stands to profit off it. Card's been very detailed in the past about what groups and organizations he contributes to financially, and some people don't want to go directly contribute to his income knowing that he will turn around and use that income to fund anti-gay efforts. Card has been a successful writer for decades, he still actively writes across a variety of mediums and has a strong fanbase - no one's stripping him of his livelihood with these boycotts, no one's telling him what he can and can't believe, the boycotts are simply groups of people saying 'we know where you spend your money and that's why you're not getting ours.'

If people want to debate, argue or talk about THAT point, fine, but denouncing the boycotts while entirely missing the reason they're happening in the first place is just unproductive for everyone.

(And for the record, aside from Card sitting on the board of an organization dedicated to fighting gay marriage, he has in the past been known to contribute to organizations that seek to strip LGBT employees of anti-discrimination protections, etc. Regardless of his 'gay marriage is now moot' statement, funding those efforts is just as bad as funding anti-gay marriage efforts, if not worse.)
    Last edited by Kalen O.; 07-18-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    My favorite character can beat up your favorite character.

Loser.

Elder Member

Speaking of making something into something it's not . . .

Ford in no way, shape, or form "denounced" the boycotts. He didn't even mention them (at least not in what was quoted in the article). His point (pretty clearly) was that Ender's Game stands on its own as a piece of storytelling without respect to Card's personal agenda or people's feelings towards them. The underlying point would seem to be that just as people who oppose Card's personal views have the right to speak/act out, those that like Card's writing on its own merits and want to see the movie without being pulled into a political debate have the right to do that as well.

Your shoelaces are untied Kalen O.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Speaking of making something into something it's not . . .

Ford in no way, shape, or form "denounced" the boycotts. He didn't even mention them (at least not in what was quoted in the article). His point (pretty clearly) was that Ender's Game stands on its own as a piece of storytelling without respect to Card's personal agenda or people's feelings towards them. The underlying point would seem to be that just as people who oppose Card's personal views have the right to speak/act out, those that like Card's writing on its own merits and want to see the movie without being pulled into a political debate have the right to do that as well.
    Fair enough. I freely admit my response was colored by the overall discussion on this topic, such as the other threads on this movie in recent weeks, and that's on me. Your point is valid, however I do maintain that since the 'controversy' about this film has long since stopped being just about Card's beliefs and now very much includes the boycotts themselves (as is evidenced by this article), Ford's comments avoid the heart of the matter and shift the discussion from what its really about. Or perhaps it isn't Ford that did that so much as the coverage of Ford's press conference - this article doesn't contain much context as to what questions specifically he was responding to.

Tl;dr version: Ford's comments reconcile why he had no problem taking this role despite Card's personal beliefs, and I agree with those and see no problem or conflict there. However Ford's comments being used to address the Ender's Game controversy in regards to the context of the article (such as Lionsgate's response and the boycotts) miss the point of the issues at hand. But whether that's on Ford or the media coverage of his comments, I don't know.
    My favorite character can beat up your favorite character.

Loser.

You know what? If everyone screaming about boycotting this film (and drawing more attention to it then it may deserve by doings so) would just shut up (effectively ending the extra publicity it probably doesn't deserve) and instead find groups that are lobbying for gay marriage and donate $5-$100 to them, Card would then have a real fight on his hands.

Don't hate a hater... fund those who support love in whatever form it takes.