Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR's Top 100 Comics of 2012, #49 - 25

We enter the Top 50 as CBR's rundown of the best and brightest comics of the year continues with multiple ongoing series saying their farewell, more great graphic novels breaking the ranks and inventive indies you may have missed.

Full article here.

A bit better, but Morning Glories at #33 is too low IMO.

Wonder what the top 24 will be. Marvel Now and DC New 52 galore with the odd Saga and Unwritten? Elephantmen, Manhattan Projects, Hellblazer?
    Last edited by passer-by; 12-28-2012 at 04:01 PM.

if Wolverine and the X-Men makes this list but Kieron Gillen's FAR SUPERIOR Uncanny X-Men doesn't, the entire thing will be invalidated IMO.
    dazzler_emma frost_cyclops_angela_longshot
    red hood_harley quinn_deadshot_aresenal_deathstroke

Saga, Hellblazer and Prophet will surely be there. Maybe Unwritten too? The CBR team is quite big and they have varied taste, so I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see all that many Marvel Now and New 52 books. I think the list will continue at the same pace with 5-10 Big Two comics in the last 24.

From this batch, I need to remember to check out Zaucer of Zilk and Becky Cloonan's Conan. I like the art in both very much.

BANNED

Prince of Cats! should have placed higher, but at least it's in there.

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

I look forward to the collection of Wood/Cloonan's Conan, as I was rather impressed with the first 2 issues of it.

Strange to ignore the other artists on Conan? cloonan has only done half the issues, no?

Anyway, Journey into Mystery is better than all these.

I'd like to see the lists of all the contributers. Or atleast reveal how many people voted?
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    I'd like to see the lists of all the contributers. Or atleast reveal how many people voted?
    If I remember correctly, CBR lets each contributor reveal what they picked if they choose.
    Usually a bunch of the contributors from CSBG and Robot6 tend to reveal their lists near the end or after the Top 100 list is revealed.

Brian Cronin has posted what I believe is what he picked for the list this year.
    http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...omics-of-2012/

Good to see A Game For Swallows up there. An english translation was long overdue. I'm surprised by how few DC and Marvel we've seen so far. I hope the top 25 won't be full of them, because there are much better titles that have already been in the 26-100 region of this list, at least imo.

So two comics I read are on this list. Empowered and Love And Rockets. I tried out a few others but dropped them early on, including Revival and Morning Glories. I'm interested in reading Goliath and A Game For Swallows.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

I really liked Batwoman's first arc and the arc right now, but that second arc was pretty bad. The construction of the narrative didn't work very well, and it just wasn't particularly interesting either. I don't think I'd rank it that high because of that.

"I don’t see how anybody can make a Top Ten comics list for 2012 without 'Batwoman' on it. It’s JH Williams III drawing comics. Period. That alone qualified it for my Top Ten, let alone the great writing by both Williams and W. Haden Blackman. If you read comics, you should be reading 'Batwoman.' If you don’t read comics, you should be reading 'Batwoman.'"

-- CBR Contributor Karl Keily

I'll tell you why it shouldn't be in anyone's top 10 . . . because it's mediocre at best. It started off strong last year but I thought it took a big ol' boring crapper in 2012. If it deserves to make a top 100, it's at the very end of the list. Great writing Batwoman is not.

Quote Originally Posted by passer-by View Post
    A bit better, but Morning Glories at #33 is too low IMO.
    Have to disagree on that, I feel it was a bit too high on the list. Because the latest stories have been nothing to write home about.

And Saga better be among the top ten.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottmeister X View Post
    "I donít see how anybody can make a Top Ten comics list for 2012 without 'Batwoman' on it. Itís JH Williams III drawing comics. Period. That alone qualified it for my Top Ten, let alone the great writing by both Williams and W. Haden Blackman. If you read comics, you should be reading 'Batwoman.' If you donít read comics, you should be reading 'Batwoman.'"

-- CBR Contributor Karl Keily

I'll tell you why it shouldn't be in anyone's top 10 . . . because it's mediocre at best. It started off strong last year but I thought it took a big ol' boring crapper in 2012. If it deserves to make a top 100, it's at the very end of the list. Great writing Batwoman is not.
    I didn't like the second arc, but the current arc should have earned Batwoman a spot in the top 20 at least. It's better written than DoTF, imho.

Well, JIM ought to be higher than any of these, and the fact that it's ranked below **BATWOMAN**, a comic which immediately turned into total trash this year when Williams took an arc off and the brain-stabbing emptiness of the writing became apparent without his art to disguise it, is a borderline insult.