Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    Walken throws her out a window and a bunch of cats come over and basically lick/meow her back to life
    They wake her up when she's in danger of falling asleep and dying from hypothermia. There's no supernatural elements there.

I really don't see much influence from the Bronze Age Bats in Nolan's Batman. A lot of the plots from various post-Crisis stories are used across the three movies but this Batman was something new. Nolan deliberately set out to create a relatable human being the audience could empathise with. He was pretty much a normal guy with normal dreams and desires. He didn't have the hard edge, obsessive drive and polymathic attributes of any of the comics interpretations or the willingness to surrender his entire life to crime-fighting.

The Golden Age Batman was a mysterious, silent vigilante who was primarily interested in terrorising the underworld and didn't particularly mind if he killed a few along the way. That to me was Burton's Batman.
    Last edited by cactusmaac; 12-30-2012 at 10:32 AM.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by cactusmaac View Post
    They wake her up when she's in danger of falling asleep and dying from hypothermia. There's no supernatural elements there.
    That makes sense, I remember now wasn't it also Christmas time?
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower00044 View Post
    Ok, I understand where you are coming from. But, correct me if I'm wrong (I was only 8), but wasn't the golden age early Batman already pretty much out of continuity by the time Burton made his movies? I blame most of his missteps on the fact that he said he wouldn't ever "..be caught dead" reading a comic book. Why are you making a movie based off a comic character, if you don't give two s**ts about the source material?
    Why would continuity matter? Burton said he didn't read comic books when he was in a slanging match with Kevin Smith. He'd read DKR, the Killing Joke and the early Finger\Kane comics and would pass them along to cast and crew when he wanted to get across his vision of the movie.

From Burton on Burton:

"I was never a giant comic book fan, but I've always loved the image of Batman and The Joker. The reason I've never been a comic book fan - and I think it started when I was a child - is because I could never tell which box I was supposed to read. I don't know if it was dyslexia or whatever, but that's why I loved The Killing Joke, because for the first time I could tell which one to read. It's my favorite. It's the first comic I've ever loved. And the success of those graphic novels made our ideas more acceptable."

Batman 89 is still the best to me. This opening scene is without a doubt the strongest in any of the bat-films

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zspCvKrujyE

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Chris View Post
    Batman 89 is still the best to me. This opening scene is without a doubt the strongest in any of the bat-films

I really need to rewatch that.

Burton, easily.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    But if you are a fan of the Finger original run -- as the character was originally created -- then not so out of place at all. Finger's original run was filled with eerie castles, creepy atmosphere, weird mysticism, cults, and even monsters. Whose movies does that sound more like -- Nolan's or Burton's? (Answer: Burton's)
    And yet, KeatoN's Batman/Bruce Wayne is nothing like the character in those stories.

He wasn't much of an athlete but he was silent, mysterious, violent and used a lot of gadgets.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquacatlungfish View Post
    Kids love anything. I liked almost every bad kids film thrown at me when I was a kid. Good kids films still hold up when you're an adult and adult like them too.
    This, some things age well while others don't. Of course I can't guarantee it, but I imagine in 20 years time, people will look back on the Nolan trilogy fondly.

Yeah. This. the Burton/ Keaton films were just as good as The Nolanverse films. Sometimes you're in the mood for Dan Fogelburg sometimes You're in the Mood for The Stones.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Both.

It just depends on what you're in the mood for really.
    Yes This Exactly.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Scarlet Sapien View Post
    Yeah. This. the Burton/ Keaton films were just as good as The Nolanverse films. Sometimes you're in the mood for Dan Fogelburg sometimes You're in the Mood for The Stones.

I'm never in the mood for Dan Fogelburg. Haha, we give this lady at work s**t all the time when she plays him. Good times.

Edit: cool analogy, though.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Chris View Post

Geez, that's some horrible fighting. Flass saying "I swear to God.", with Batman saying "Swear to me." > "I'm Batman".

Sorry about the subtitles.
    Last edited by maxpower00044; 12-31-2012 at 08:28 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower00044 View Post
    Geez, that's some horrible fighting. Flass saying "I swear to God.", with Batman saying "Swear to me." > "I'm Batman".

Sorry about the subtitles.
    I cannot believe we are in complete agreement.

For all the flak Bale gets for the voice, it was perfect here.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

I find Person of Interest to be a much better take on the themes Nolan examines in his Batman trilogy.

I mean, if you're going to try and strip Batman down as 'realistically' as possible, then he might as well be an ex-CIA agent in a nice suit using surveillance tech to do good deeds, with a rich genius as benefactor.

Best show on television now!
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton