Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Diddn't comic book men talk about this recently. I prefer the batsuit from burton's to nolan's 2nd.

Well, I think that neither Nolan nor Burton' movie are particularly great.

The first Burton movie looks and feels cool but the characters are all off. Batman/Bruce Wayne is nothing like he ever was in the comics, the Joker is a mixture of Black Mask and Cesar Romero.

Batman Begins is the best Batman movie. A mixture of the 70s an modern but of course, a little bit pedestrian. The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises are too dull and have lots of bad writing in them. Well, I guess they are "relevant", though.

Overall Nolan is a better director but I much preferred Burton's take on Batman.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

Christopher Nolan.

Lambert Hillyer's 1943 serial. It was a hell of a lot more faithful to the Batman I know.
    "Mistah Joker, he dead."

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

I prefer Burton's vision, warts and all.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

I think both had positives to offer, but the bottom line is that I was a disappointed 10-year-old after seeing Burton's first flick, whereas I wasn't disappointed with Nolan until his third movie.

Christopher Nolan's trilogy is far better than Burton's films. I'll always love the Burton movies, they're what I grew up with, but nostalgia aside they are pretty rough to watch these days.

Nolan took the genuine time to craft an entire Bat mythos having been a comic fan before hand. Burton wasn't, he just got the script and tossed it around a bit in order to Burtonize it haha.

Both great directors and both movies have their positives and negatives but in my opinion: Nolan by a landslide.

I know this will piss someone off, but I have no idea how anyone actually likes the Burton movies.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    If this were Facebook I'd just click "Like"

Seriously, well said.
    This, although... clearly Nolan! :p

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by YMCMB View Post
    I know this will piss someone off, but I have no idea how anyone actually likes the Burton movies.
    Nostalgia is all I can think of. Not to say that's the only reason people like them, but IMO it's the only redeeming quality in there.

Quote Originally Posted by YMCMB View Post
    Atmosphere. The Burton films, especially Returns, are wonderfully Gothic. Which is appropriate for a Batman in Gotham City.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

I prefer burton's first batman compared to any other batman movie, but from returns on, I say nolan has done an amazing job with his trilogy. both are one hell of a director.

Nolan's are the best superhero comic book adaptations thus far but Burton deserves immense credit for blowing up the popularity of Batman to the extent that he did. The level of anticipation Batman 1989 was immense, the crowds in line at theatres were huge and there was loads of demand for all Bat-merchandise.

The movie probably disappointed some of the purists but it firmly killed off Batman's pre-existing image as being a campy, comedy figure for children. The score by Danny Elfman and the brutalist Gothic production design by Anton Furst set the template for the world of Batman that's lasted to this day. It's remarkable how well it turned out given the huge lack of awareness of comic books in Hollywood in the late 80s.

Nolan's decision to root Batman in a recognisable Chicago\Pittsburgh\NYC made sense for his creative choices, but stylistically and aesthetically the Burton movies offer a lot more. It's like comparing an amped-up crime movie with a dark, flamboyant opera.
    Last edited by cactusmaac; 12-28-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    Atmosphere. The Burton films, especially Returns, are wonderfully Gothic. Which is appropriate for a Batman in Gotham City.
    My beef with Burton's Gotham is that it was too small and claustrophobic, and made the movie feel like a stage play.

I think something like Snyder's Watchmen does a better job creating a noir/goth aesthetic without becoming too cartoony. I know it's not a well-liked film, but it looked damn good at least.