Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Somewhere between Earth 2 Seaside Heights & Earth 616 Surf City

Default Superior Spiderman & 52's Teen Titans making classics

Sorry but this is just my opinion but thanks to DC's 52 version of Teen Titans & NOW's Superior Spiderman are going to make every version of Spiderman & Titans look like the works of Shakespeare, Alan Moore,and Neil Gaiman combine!
    To paint comic books as childish and illiterate is lazy. A lot of comic books are very literate - unlike most films.
    Somewhere on an alternate earth Captain America is a member of the JSA

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

That bad, eh?
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Not sure what specifically Superboy Sr. is referring to with the current Teen Titans, because I dropped it quite a while ago. As to Superior Spider-Man, from what I've read online, apparently (don't read on if you don't want spoilers)
    spoilers:
    Doc Ock swaps minds with Peter Parker, leaving Peter to "die" in Ock's old, terminally ill body, and Doc Ock taking over Spider-Man's body. The series is supposed to consist of Octavius trying to be a hero as Spider-Man. Not sure who thought this was a good idea, but it does make the Clone Saga sound a little better by comparison.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Jolly Mon; 12-28-2012 at 12:48 PM.
    One lab accident away from being a super-villain

Wouldn't this be more appropriate for the Spider-Man or DC boards?
    Life looks better in black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by destro View Post
    Wouldn't this be more appropriate for the Spider-Man or DC boards?
    Possibly, but it doesn't hurt to inform folks on the Classics board what's going on with classic characters, especially when it's this dumb. Mods can always move it if they want.

I agree it doesn't really belong here, but while it is, I'll dive in and say it's a ludicrous knee-jerk reaction. I have no idea (or interest) what's happening in Teen Titans, but the first issue of SSM isn't even out yet, and it's already being written off? Jeez, at least give it a few issues to see where they're going with it, and then if you don't like it write it off.

It won't be worse than the Clone Saga. It is impossible for something to suck worse than the Clone Saga without the universe collapsing in on itself like one giant black hole.

* * And now we've et our way down to the meat of this volume - It's the return of the Masters of Evil, the Baron Zemo-led group of villains who were the source of pretty much all the Avengers problems in the stories prior to these.

And I have to reiterate this every time the topic comes up - I love the original Masters of Evil! A comic that follows both the hero team AND the villain team through member changes and personality conflicts is a great idea, and one that Ihasn't, as far as I knwo, ever been re-used after the first coupla dozen issues of Avengers and X-men. This particular version is a combination of the previous MoE groups - The Melter and the Black Knight from version 1 along with the Executioner and the Enchantress from version 2.

* Although (and I gotta say this every time) the layout artist/finisher/inker method of comics production has never quite worked for me. The above panel's contrast of action (visceral horse-pavement-splatting action at that!) and Thor, standing quietly might work if Kirby drew it himself, but Heck's interpretation just looks slightly awkward to me - the balance between motion and non-motion just isn't quite there. I DO like Mike Esposito on inks, though - he's just a little better at using dark/light contrast (heck, he uses more "dark" in general) to give the proceedings a little more somber/moody feel, and he tends to clean up some of the goofity facial expressions. (Except for the Executioner. That dude ALWAYS looks like one of the Three Stooges. All "Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck!" or "Which way did they go!" or "Daaaaammmmn. Willya look at that! My eyes are gonna fall outta my head!"

* Another storytelling effect of using the Masters of Evil is the main villains is that it made newcomer Captain America seem important. After all, it was HIS arch-enemy that led the Masters, all bossing Asgardians around, and that (in a strange, roundabout way) made Captain America much more prominent. In this sequence, ferinstance, the whole 8 person, New York ravaging Avengers/Masters of Evil fight feels secondary to Cap chasing Baron Zemo around South America - And THAT sequence ends with real consequences (Zemo bites it) while the New York MoE team is beaten when Thor duex ex machinas half the Masters outta New York and the others just kind of slink away. (As Hoosier X points out, the poor, poor Melter is totally unphased by this. "Empty words, Giant Man! We'll beat you yet!" riiiggggggghhhht. )

* Which actually chronologically brings us up to the new team. ("Yay! Disneyland! Yay!") and I slowly realize I could probably write a book on Avengers # 16. I
    Last edited by Reptisaurus!; 10-17-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Garth View Post
    I agree it doesn't really belong here, but while it is, I'll dive in and say it's a ludicrous knee-jerk reaction. I have no idea (or interest) what's happening in Teen Titans, but the first issue of SSM isn't even out yet, and it's already being written off? Jeez, at least give it a few issues to see where they're going with it, and then if you don't like it write it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    It won't be worse than the Clone Saga. It is impossible for something to suck worse than the Clone Saga without the universe collapsing in on itself like one giant black hole.
    To each their own. I wasn't commenting on the issue/series, since it's not out and I have no interest in reading it. My comment was on the concept, which in my opinion, is remarkably stupid. And I wouldn't be surprised if Reptisaurus gets to see that giant black hole before long.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Mon View Post
    spoilers:

Doc Ock swaps minds with Peter Parker, leaving Peter to "die" in Ock's old, terminally ill body, and Doc Ock taking over Spider-Man's body. The series is supposed to consist of Octavius trying to be a hero as Spider-Man. Not sure who thought this was a good idea, but it does make the Clone Saga sound a little better by comparison. :spoil:
    end of spoilers
    Oh, boy. I loathe it when publishers pull that kind of stunt and pretend that's it's gonna stick (with a new #1 or whatever). Lots of younger readers are going to fall for it and will feel cheated when things go back to the way they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    Oh, boy. I loathe it when publishers pull that kind of stunt and pretend that's it's gonna stick (with a new #1 or whatever). Lots of younger readers are going to fall for it and will feel cheated when things go back to the way they were.
    Agreed. By the way, what are the spoiler tags? I can never remember. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Mon View Post
    Agreed. By the way, what are the spoiler tags? I can never remember. Thanks.
    [ s p o i l ] at the start and [ / s p o i l ] at the end. (I added spaces in there so we can see the tags, but of course they shouldn't be included).

Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    Yet they keep trying REAL hard...AVX anyone ?
    kalorama :Take your reason and logic and begone! We don't cotton to your like 'round here!

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    [ s p o i l ] at the start and [ / s p o i l ] at the end. (I added spaces in there so we can see the tags, but of course they shouldn't be included).
    Thanks, updated it.

I don't know anything about the current Titans, but I think the Superior Spider-Man thing could be fun if done well, and I've liked other things I've read by Dan Slott. It's easy enough to judge a premise:

Kid gets bit by a spider and then can climb walls and sense danger? Lame.
    Swamp Thing isn't actually a guy but just some swamp stuff that thinks it's a guy and he's a plant elemental? WTF is that?

It's all about the execution. I personally like the idea of a bitter old man suddenly getting the power and vengeance he's always wanted and then having to figure out what to do afterward. I'll probably check out the trades.
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

Here's Stan Lee's review of ASM #700:

Oh man, and check out this twitter conversation between Stan and Dan Slott. Stan with an epic burn at the end. Still the man after 90 years.

Last edited by Scott Harris; 12-30-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!