Somewhere between Earth 2 Seaside Heights & Earth 616 Surf City

Default Now & New 52:Helping the Indepents out??

With Marvel's NOW & DC's 52 doing so well,do you think it will help or hinder the Independents?
    To paint comic books as childish and illiterate is lazy. A lot of comic books are very literate - unlike most films.
    Somewhere on an alternate earth Captain America is a member of the JSA

DC's 52 raised the general sales figures and made readers return, it's possible they also drew in new readers, but I don't remember, so they did help the independents as well.

Marvel's NOW! will probably also help the independents, but my best guess is, that Marvel is helping the independents by making the readers go elsewhere.

Having said that, I think DC has helped the independents much more by cancelling The Boys, shutting down WildStorm and crippling Vertigo.
    Michael Pilgaard, fanboy at large
    WeirdSpace, a Multiverse Who's Who, since 2003
    American Comic Books, an index

I think when people get sick of all the HYPE, over-reliance on crossovers, and Event-itis that seems so prevalent at both Marvel and DC these days (especially since DC's relaunch with the New 52), they may be more likely to flee to independents for relief.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Most indeedly.
    BB

I think their success would bring awareness to the entire industry, although it's disputable on how many new readers they've actually attracted.

For me because of the New 52 and Marvel Now, I'm now reading more indies and loving it.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

I read back when DC's Nu52 came out that sales on all titles rose, including indies. So I thinked it helped them out. Not sure about Marvel NOW. But anything that gets people reading more books, and different books, can't hurt. I'm actually hoping that the recent spate of creator books (like Morrison's Happy) gets fans to take a broader look at what's out there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pil View Post
    DC's 52 raised the general sales figures and made readers return, it's possible they also drew in new readers, but I don't remember, so they did help the independents as well.

Marvel's NOW! will probably also help the independents, but my best guess is, that Marvel is helping the independents by making the readers go elsewhere.

Having said that, I think DC has helped the independents much more by cancelling The Boys, shutting down WildStorm and crippling Vertigo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parch View Post
    I think their success would bring awareness to the entire industry, although it's disputable on how many new readers they've actually attracted.
    My thought exactly. Anything that gets comics on the forefront of people's consciousness may make them open to reading anything, and that's a good way to draw them to smaller, easier to follow independent titles, especially if they're brand new to comics. I remember how disorienting it was for me getting back into the whole weekly/monthly thing after being out for 17 years but for a total newcomer, it's gotta be a nightmare! From talking with some of the staff at my comic shop it seems they steer newcomers to titles like Invincible so they're not overwhelmed by decades of history and continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by jsf View Post
    I read back when DC's Nu52 came out that sales on all titles rose, including indies. So I thinked it helped them out. Not sure about Marvel NOW. But anything that gets people reading more books, and different books, can't hurt. I'm actually hoping that the recent spate of creator books (like Morrison's Happy) gets fans to take a broader look at what's out there as well.
    Ah, yes. Happy! has had one of the creepiest covers I've seen in a while but I'm enjoying the series so far.
    Last edited by Queso6p4; 12-30-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Added in another quote after a multi quote but my prior response was replaced
    My blog where I mostly do comic reviews

Vocatus atque non vocatus deus aderit