Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Good for you Dan! I for one and I am sure that many others have not thought that Doc Ock will have any relations with MJ other than pretend emotions. As I see it it is more like Sheldon from The Big bang theory "Oh if I must". Meaning that it is expected of him, however he has made his intentions clear by thinking that MJ must be dealt with. Now that is a direct threat and one that suits his persona, MJ is clearly number one on his hit list. Peter! Please come back... MJ's in trouble and while you are there bring Amazing back with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Okay, I had a bunch of problems with ASM 700. But the biggest problem I had was with the art. Humberto Ramos' art is atrocious. I would've much rather Giuseppe Camuncoli had penciled the last issue. If you're going to kill off my favorite Marvel character, at least let me be able to stomach the way it looks.
    Man, you took the words right out of my mouth!

I had problems with the story. I do like Humberto Ramos' art though. I feel I was overtly harsh on Slott due to the controversial nature of the storyline. I'm going to at least try and give it a chance.

I'm a fan of humberto ramos, but even I think that his art looked bad in this issue. It was rushed and sloppy

Quote Originally Posted by Randumbz View Post
    I'm a fan of humberto ramos, but even I think that his art looked bad in this issue. It was rushed and sloppy
    I don't think "rushed" and "sloppy" really describe the art in 700. Ramos is my favorite artist to date, but I will say that his cartoony style did not fit to such a huge, serious, and dark issue.
    The world was blessedly free of honest men and wonderfully full of people who believed they could tell the difference between an honest man and a crook. -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    And then HE DIED. That's not giving up, that's DYING.
    No, then he let Ock punch him and spent all his remaining energy trying to convert Ock.

If this was the last Spider-Man comic ever, you would be right. But it's not. So it's not the end of the story.
    1) Hey, you'll find no bigger proponent for the long story than me, but THIS story ended. Just like Kraven's Last Hunt, The Death of Jean DeWolff, The Other, and countless others. Dying Wish is over. It ended with Spider-Man losing.
    2) And it IS the last Spider-Man comic. Their might be another one down the road. But that comic doesn't exist yet. All we've got now is Superior. Which is like claiming Vehicle Voltron is the same thing as the real thing.

What he tried didn't work, so he tried something else. Instead of futilely flailing away physically, he tried a different approach. You know, like intelligent human beings do.
    But not what Spider-Man does in those situations. I want to yell at the guy all the time for being obstinate, but it is who he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    The difference is that, when talking about an event that may or may not happen, it's just unsubstantiated speculation. In the most recent case, people are getting worked up over MJ possibly having sex with Superior Pete, but it hasn't happened and we have no reason to believe it will.

On the other hand, we do know that - barring some world ending catastrophe - there will be another issue of Spider-Man coming out. It will address events of past issues. The story goes on. 'Dying Wish' is finished, but the overall "Ock as Spidey" story isn't even close to over yet.
    We know that there will be another issue of Superior Spider-Man, we have no idea what's in it. There is no guarantee that what is in it will actually continue the story of Spider-Man. We know it will continue the story of Doc Ock. But that's not the same thing.

Certainly, such things are likely, but again, this all goes back to my same point. You should like a comic for what's IN a comic, not for what might happen in the future. For all we know Superior #4 could make 700 WORSE (or alternatively, it could make it awesome).

And we don't even really know that their will be another issue of Spider-Man. Disney could decide to cancel their entire publishing division tomorrow on account of they have billions of dollars and don't need them.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

I don't like the idea of it as the end of Peter Parker. Of course we're dealing with superheroes so they'll more than likely find a way to bring him back but until that's definitely known, I gotta treat this like it's really the end of Peter Parker. It hit home for me when he slipped in a coma as Doc Ock and met all the people long gone, including Unce Ben. I was really waiting for some cliffhanger ending where he would somehow get back to his body but even with that mind transfer/essence twist, the bad guy still won to me, which left a bad taste in my mouth for a Peter Parker ending.

I will say though, the Avenging Spider-Man that followed ASM #700 did have me interested in the Superior Spider-Man story. I'd recommend it as a kind of sneak peek at what the Superior Spider-Man should be like. It's almost like the Peter Parker that first encountered the symbiote and had a bad attitude, but this isn't him getting more evil, it's pure duality he's dealing with. His active thoughts are Doc Ock but his instincts and gut feeling is all Peter Parker. I love how he was bad mouthing Peter Parker's daily life until he walked in his old Doc Ock lair and discovered that he never really stood a chance at beating Peter with his traps. Now he's revising Spidey's design to improve him and to spite him as well, cause I think his ego is kind of shot now, seeing a Doc Ock battle from the other side. I don't know about Spidey having clawed fingers with the costume but I'm excited to see what comes from Superior.

I don't like the idea of it as the end of Peter Parker. Of course we're dealing with superheroes so they'll more than likely find a way to bring him back but until that's definitely known, I gotta treat this like it's really the end of Peter Parker. It hit home for me when he slipped in a coma as Doc Ock and met all the people long gone, including Unce Ben. I was really waiting for some cliffhanger ending where he would somehow get back to his body but even with that mind transfer/essence twist, the bad guy still won to me, which left a bad taste in my mouth for a Peter Parker ending.

I will say though, the Avenging Spider-Man that followed ASM #700 did have me interested in the Superior Spider-Man story. I'd recommend it as a kind of sneak peek at what the Superior Spider-Man should be like. It's almost like the Peter Parker that first encountered the symbiote and had a bad attitude, but this isn't him getting more evil, it's pure duality he's dealing with. His active thoughts are Doc Ock but his instincts and gut feeling is all Peter Parker. I love how he was bad mouthing Peter Parker's daily life until he walked in his old Doc Ock lair and discovered that he never really stood a chance at beating Peter with his traps. Now he's revising Spidey's design to improve him and to spite him as well, cause I think his ego is kind of shot now, seeing a Doc Ock battle from the other side. I don't know about Spidey having clawed fingers with the costume but I'm excited to see what comes from Superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Earmites View Post
    They left a wide door open to switch back with the octobot that failed to get past Spiderman's neck armor. My fear is that they will not address the switch properly.

Dan Slott addressed the fact in issue 700 that Peter Parker has a soul. Peter died when in Otto's body for three minutes. His soul went to a purgatory type place and had a social with his parents, Ben, Marla, Rhino with wife, Gwen etc.

So they establish that when Otto dies...Peter's soul leaves Earth 616. that also states that Otto's soul is in Spiderman's body.

So at the end of the issue Ock dies and definitively sends Peter Parker's soul to a Heavenlike place.

The switch back has to definitively SHOW that Peter Parker's soul has been returned. If they do a Peter's memories overtake Otto's and he is back...I will still KNOW that it is not Peter Parker. If they do a Peter Parker from another Ultimate universe not Earth 616...In my mind it is NOT the true Peter Parker. If they show the story of that one remaining octobot implanting Peter's subconscious WITHOUT showing his soul being plucked from the Heavenlike area Peter went to...It will not be Peter Parker.

I like(d) Dan Slott up until this issue. I loved ASM up until this issue. I read Ultimate Spider-man until Peter died (a fantastic and fitting death) and then stopped reading it. I want to read about Peter Parker...Not Otto Octavius. I stuck with ASM when Peter unmasked (I hated it more than anything), I stuck with ASM when Mary Jane and Peter got divorced (I hated MJ ever since), I stuck with ASM when Peter made a deal with the "devil" (Worst ASM idea ever) even though I loved the dissolved marriage, I looked past the absolute abimination that was OMIT...But this....This was a terrible idea and as one poster put it, I will be protesting with my wallet.

IF Peter Parker's SOUL returns to his body...Then and ONLY then will I return with my $3.99 for Marvel. I sincerely hope at this point that Marvel takes a HUGE hit financially and Disney says "WTF HAPPENED!!!!" and SW and Dan learn what so many bumbling villains have learned over the years...When you eff with Peter Parker...you lose."
    True, it appears to be shown that his soul was in Otto's body, and left when that body dies. But do we know for sure that was real and not just a hallucination of a dying mind?
    Peter Parker is my lord and saviour.
    Show Teddy some love!
    "I want Apex to feast on Reptil like a pregnant khaleesi." - Sanji
    MY ART

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Slott View Post
    I am HORRIBLY offended that later on in this thread you MIGHT accuse me of being a rapist!
    HOW DARE YOU?!

(See how that works? Pretty lousy way of looking at this, isn't it?)
    How about UNTIL something actually happens in the book, you DON'T break out THE MINORITY REPORT Pre-Cog Police? :-/
    WHEN it happens in the book, it's too late. Making ones feelings clear on a direction that has been advertised and sold to you for $8 doesn't feel "minority report" to me. This is the story you put out and the direction you advertised. Take the good with the bag. Understand people are reacting not out of insanity, hatred of you, or of your work(I am certain some are), but also with consideration of your company and your peers stance on the matter in multiple different instances. Such as the defense the writer of that Chameleon story took before they put it on the page that there was no sexual intercourse. I honestly believe it was planned to go unmentioned and then the extreme reaction to how disgusting the story was inspired someone to clarify it. I sincerely hope you understand that Ock hooking up with MJ in Peter's body would be rape and that your comments "No rape happens!" are literal and not some "interpretation" of what rape is rather then Wacker's insane comparisons.

You yourself, gleefully promoted the book "Hahah Spider-Man and MJ! You wanted them together, now they will be! But it's not Peter! Bwahaha!" and then we come to learn that, rather then the reasonable idea MJ is with another guy, it's become "Now she is in a relationship with a man who is wearing her dead ex/prior/superboypunchedaway husband trying to manipulate her into un-consensual sex." and I think it's more then reasonable for people to be concerned about how gross that is and disappointed that that story avenue, at this moment, is just one where MJ is being unknowingly victimized. and I say that JUST of the events of 700, not based on anything that may or may not happen in SSM

It's also disappointing to see you and Wacker hand wave away any concerns with "You just hate my Spider-man books nerd".

And y'know, I'm not saying "hey they shouldn't tell this story cause it's rape" but if the plan was to have MJ and Ock hook up imo it would be a disservice to call it anything other then what it would be: Rape. It's far to easy to see you guys going down that path of definition dodging.
    Last edited by Kiryu; 01-02-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    Don't worry.
    My brother and sister of the atom.
    We are the X-men, and we stand together

main problem is how much they hyped up amazing spider-man 700 and how shocking it was going to be and lets face it it really wasn't shocking even without the leak it was not the earth changing groundbreaking event it was made out to be. It's Johnny Storm's death all over again hyped up only to be undone in a couple of months. I didn't like the story that much but that's me. I read Spider-Man because I'm a fan of Peter Parker and that Spider-Man seemed to not be following the stupid trend of darker heroes. Now without Peter Parker and a darker more violent replacement there is little reason for me to continue reading I might try an issue or two of Superior Spider-Man but I am not interested.
    Last edited by KarateXplosion; 01-02-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Default last nail in the coffin for me

I can't have faith.
    While he has, I beleive, faithfully represented spider-man over his "tenure" at ASM the last few issues
    and the death of Spider-Man was less than rewarding to me. If he had died in some other way, I could live with it like I did with
    ultimate spider-man. I could faithfully wait out the months til a "new" Peter Parker took over - which I beleive it will happen.
    That is another problem I have with Marvel, but a discussion for another thread...

I think the last "battle" was unrewarding to the reader for three reasons; 1) Parker dies and nobody knows about it. Not shield not his family
    friends, lovers..... etc. 2) it is almost to the point of perversion to have dock ock wearing Parker's skin and taking over his
    life and relations with Parkers family - and they deserve closure especially aunt May and Mary Jane. 3) Parkers last act was
    to instill a concience to dock ock? well, that isn't dock ock.... He's brilliant and a match for Spider-man but he's also arrogant, hateful..

Parker deserves to be (finally) honored for saving the city/planet. He's had so much "Parker luck", but always kept fighting.. He deserved to
    finally be called a hero by everybody even those who didn't supporting him (JJJ). NOT spider-man, hero, but Peter Parker.

I wish slott well. I hope he can win Spider-Man fans back, but for this Spider-Man fan I've had enough of Marvel and Fake Parker
    was the final nail in that coffin. I can't support the direction its gone in, and I can't support the companies decision to
    kill of a beloved character in that manner. And doing so in the only way a fan can show his dis-satisfaction,
    saying enough's enough and not buying their merchandise.

Quote Originally Posted by freeballer View Post
    I can't have faith.
    While he has, I beleive, faithfully represented spider-man over his "tenure" at ASM the last few issues
    and the death of Spider-Man was less than rewarding to me. If he had died in some other way, I could live with it like I did with
    ultimate spider-man. I could faithfully wait out the months til a "new" Peter Parker took over - which I beleive it will happen.
    That is another problem I have with Marvel, but a discussion for another thread...

I think the last "battle" was unrewarding to the reader for three reasons; 1) Parker dies and nobody knows about it. Not shield not his family
    friends, lovers..... etc. 2) it is almost to the point of perversion to have dock ock wearing Parker's skin and taking over his
    life and relations with Parkers family - and they deserve closure especially aunt May and Mary Jane. 3) Parkers last act was
    to instill a concience to dock ock? well, that isn't dock ock.... He's brilliant and a match for Spider-man but he's also arrogant, hateful..

Parker deserves to be (finally) honored for saving the city/planet. He's had so much "Parker luck", but always kept fighting.. He deserved to
    finally be called a hero by everybody even those who didn't supporting him (JJJ). NOT spider-man, hero, but Peter Parker.

I wish slott well. I hope he can win Spider-Man fans back, but for this Spider-Man fan I've had enough of Marvel and Fake Parker
    was the final nail in that coffin. I can't support the direction its gone in, and I can't support the companies decision to
    kill of a beloved character in that manner. And doing so in the only way a fan can show his dis-satisfaction,
    saying enough's enough and not buying their merchandise.
    Well said. I am not sure who you are a sock puppet for, but I agree with this sentiment.

Faith that this will be resolved in a satisfying way will be solely put on Dan Slott. Dan has yet to write a story that I was unhappy with... Seeing that this arc is not done I can still claim that.

My fear that this will be the end of my ASM collecting comes from the decision making "skills" of the other higher ups. Deals with the devil, Magic Bricks, resuscitation from the "power of love" to an aging gun shot victim...THESE are the pitches the higher ups said "Yes by all means go with THAT!!!"

Time will tell I guess. I honestly thought OMIT was going to make the deal with the devil in BND seem more tolerable...It only made it worse. Fool me once etc etc etc
    The world was blessedly free of honest men and wonderfully full of people who believed they could tell the difference between an honest man and a crook. -Terry Pratchett

With all the deaths and rebirths of characters in recent years, Peter's is pretty hohum. Even in real life, he's the last one to get on the train. The events of the story had no where near the impact on me as Death of Captain America or Batman. Hell, even Nightcrawler was more shocking and felt more tragic to me.

Slott has been writing a pretty good tale. My only issue with it (and disappointment) is that I have never really been on board with his development of Doc Ock. There is too much to go into about it, but to sum up I look forward to the day when Ock is Ock again, and can take a simple punch to the face or two without becoming an invalid.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.