Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 63
  1. #16
    Salacious Propriety Tandaemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    837

    Default

    Thank God Reis decided to fine-tune his pencilling in the direction that he did. I remember in the 90s when he was on Impulse and he was trying so hard to add a manga influence/Wieringo style to his art. I never would have imagined he would have gotten as good as he did back then.

    ETA: Disregard this. I mixed Reis up with Van Sciver...although my comment still stands for him!

  2. #17
    Senior Member Sterling's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,129

    Default

    Ivan Reis all the way.

  3. #18
    T.S.O.T.I. Hulk_Is's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Waiting 4 comix...
    Posts
    8,804

    Default

    I like Ivan Reis, but I don't think I'd enjoy him on Avengers. Jerome Opena, eh, I can do without him altogether.
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

    DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

  4. #19

    Default

    I read Rememder's X-Force and Opeña killed on it, but after catching up on Aquaman I have to say Ivan Reis takes the cake, at least for me. I'll be honest and say that I am not too familiar with art expertise and all the technical aspects of the art, terms like "line work" don't have any effect on me because of my art ignorance. Simply from a visually pleasing standpoint, when comparing Reis and Opeña....Reis works better for me.

  5. #20
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,463

    Default

    UGH dont you hate it when you find a thread about a topic you care about deeply (IR and JO are in my top 6 Fav artist) and your excited as hell, but then.... when you start typing, you realize your thoughts will probably not be unique or interesting at all to the rest of the thread :/

    i think things are perfect right now, while i love Ivan Reis on JL for the Throne of Atlantis Crossover..... i just wish he would go back to Aquaman afterwards so damn much. i really didnt think i would notice the difference as much as i do, but Paul Pelletier is SO NOT Ivan Reis, he doesnt bring even a Billionth of what Reis did for that book, and after seeing Reis's Supurbly and Beautfuly drawn Wonder woman in JL, Pelletier's Round buldgy giant nosed characters stuck out badly. and i dont like saying this ether, i really liked his work on Incredible Hulks

    i would Immensly LOVE to have Reis on a Thor Book, or a avenger book with thor as a primary character, but at the same time im loving Thor God of Thunder so much at it is, i dont think i could bring myself to take ribic off it.

    Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    Jerome's pencils, while beautiful, lose something when they're inked and colored. There's no pulse to his Avengers work so far.
    I Disagree with this more than You Can Imagine..... well if he has a sucky basic colorist like whoever colored his penciels in Punisher and Moonknight mabye, but Dean Whites Intense Dark Colors on Avengers go with his work IMO PERFECTLY
    Last edited by Movieartman; 12-29-2012 at 11:49 PM.

  6. #21
    Senior Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,972

    Default

    I understand that some people (mostly those who may be artists themselves) want to go into the technicality of the process, but I think the average observer, upon casual inspection of a side by side comparison would probably pick Reis. Opena (how do you get the squiggle over the "n"?) art was great for a dark graphic project like Uncanny X-Force, but now he's in the bright lights of Avengers and I think his work falls flat.

    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

    Oscar Wilde

  7. #22

    Default

    For the Porter thing, I am really not a fan of his work. I'm not sure what exactly it is when I see his JLA that makes me hate it. It could be the bland and flat coloring of it, it could be that it is way too hectic, it could be the fact that I really don't like the look of his people (Wonder Woman looks awful a lot of the things), it could be that it really hasn't aged well, or it could be something else. I just can't nail why I don't like his work, it's just there is something that really turns me off about it.

    As for Ivan Reis Vs. Jerome Opena, I've only seen one issue of Jerome's work and I can already tell that I don't like it. Like with Porter, I can't really tell what I don't like about it, it just doesn't look good to me. It gives me this feeling like I'm looking at something done with color pencils. I just don't know. However, his Hulk is awful looking. That I can say for sure.

  8. #23
    We have become death Deviates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,933

    Default

    I like both, and I think for the most part their art improves the title they are working on by a significant amount. However, I've bought numerous titles based purely on the fact Reis is doing the artwork. I can't say the same for Opena so on that basis I have to go with Reis.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
    Douglas Adams

  9. #24
    Forever Hooligan Genki Sudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    8,721

    Default

    Opena since he's been killing it since Fear Agent, I haven't bought anything with Reis's name attached since his Stormwatch days

  10. #25
    We have become death Deviates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Genki Sudo View Post
    Opena since he's been killing it since Fear Agent, I haven't bought anything with Reis's name attached since his Stormwatch days
    So you've missed out on Reis' best work then.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
    Douglas Adams

  11. #26
    pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    4,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    Opena (how do you get the squiggle over the "n"?) art was great for a dark graphic project like Uncanny X-Force, but now he's in the bright lights of Avengers and I think his work falls flat.
    qft.

    I love Opena, probably more than Reis personally. But his style of art doesn't fit all styles of story. While Reis draws great superheros, he seems to have a style that'd fit anything. I think his style could look well in any great (w/ the right inker/colorist...) - from superheros to scifi to noir to horror, etc. Opena seems limited, not excelling at the classic superhero-y stuff. That being said, I think I still like Opena better! As for "POP", I guess that'd have to go to Reis, however.
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

  12. #27
    Forever Hooligan Genki Sudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    8,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deviates View Post
    So you've missed out on Reis' best work then.
    If it's not being bought then it being good is called into question now isn't it

    Reis's Aquaman stuff was just bland, dude is coasting now

  13. #28
    once and future
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    'stralia
    Posts
    1,241

    Default

    It's gotta be Reis. Opena is a good artist, but sometimes his figures look weird. Dark colours help to cover it up, but he doesn't get the benefit of that in Avengers. I'm no artist or art critic, but Ivan Reis' art seems to be pretty close to perfect if you like the Neal Adams realism style. Just look at FIFTY-TWO's post. Opena makes the Avengers look lumpy and weak, Reis draws Aquaman (and those randoms) as dynamic and cool.

  14. #29
    Shut up, Leonard FHIZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    10,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Genki Sudo View Post

    Reis's Aquaman stuff was just bland, dude is coasting now
    Haha, no.



    Anyways. Going Reis. Opena's stuff on Xforce is cool, but he's hit or miss with me on Avengers. I hate the way he draws Hulk.

  15. #30
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Genki Sudo View Post
    Reis's Aquaman stuff was just bland, dude is coasting now
    with all dew respect Bland is the Last thing on earth i would use to describe this Lush Beautiful Brillance




    if you dont like it Fine, but calling THAT bland, mediocre or standard is a insult to the time reis and inker Joe Prado poured in to the waves of hyper detail that drench that book.

    Bland is Reserved for Fools like Greg land and Steve Dillion who do the Absolute bare minimum.
    Last edited by Movieartman; 12-30-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •