Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Cool That Metal Show on VH1 Classic Thread

Surprised a thread on this show didn't already exist. Even though its a TV show its %99.9 about music so I think it belongs in the music forum. 11 seasons strong 90 episodes about "all things hard rock and heavy metal" as they say. I can't wait to see if they do a season 12. I'll just have to settle for re-runs until then. I'm wondering if anyone else watches this show?
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

I watch it sometimes. They sometimes seem to get REALLY excited about some fairly mediocre bands. Does anyone really need to keep up with the Bulletboys?

I guess it's good they are trying to keep hard rock/metal alive and looking at all the different iterations of that, from hair metal to thrash to whatever. The audience is hilarious. It's like it never stopped being 1989. Sometimes I like to watch just to see who they have as guest guitar player and see if it's anyone I remember from back in the day.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

Quote Originally Posted by Romero View Post
    Does anyone really need to keep up with the Bulletboys?
    LMAO

I guess it's good they are trying to keep hard rock/metal alive and looking at all the different iterations of that, from hair metal to thrash to whatever. The audience is hilarious. It's like it never stopped being 1989. Sometimes I like to watch just to see who they have as guest guitar player and see if it's anyone I remember from back in the day.
    They do have some great guest guitar players on (John 5, Alex Skolnick & Michael Schenker to name a few of my favs) and more recently guess drummers (Mike Portnoy & Brian Tichy). Glen Hughes was a guest bass player a few season ago so was Billy Sheehan.

I missed the Vegas special with Vince Neil & Jake E. Lee, but I heard it was a damn clip show
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

I watch That Metal Show regularly, and they've spoken a few times about why they have the guests they do, and I think they're legitimate points. The show is on VH1 Classic, and nobody there gives a sh*t about Norwegian Death Metal so there's never going to be anybody represented from that area (the closest you're going to get is The History of Metal). The target audience of the show is people who were in their 20s during the 80s, and that's what determines the show's focus and guests. Once in awhile you get a Corey Taylor on there (as much for Stone Sour as Slipknot).

Personally I loved seeing Michael Schenker, John 5, and George Lynch all sitting in as guest guitarists.

I like Stump The Trunk because you get to see Eddie act like a cry baby.

I like the Top 5 list as it generates a good conversation between my lady and I.

It is funny on Stump the Trunk to see the audience ask something really obscure like who was the second assistant engineer on Iron Maiden's third demo tape. And when Eddie gets it wrong he tries to weasel out by finding some loophole, like the guy only recorded the guitars on one song or something.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

It was funny when Stephen Adler "stumped" him with a question regarding C.C. Deville and Stryper that Adler had wrong and there a note requesting he return the CD he won (tongue in cheek) from the box of junk.

Their recurring segments are pretty good. "Stump The Trunk" is hilarious and I love the show opening with the chalkboard. They did a really good interview seasons back with Paul Di'Anno, I guess he's strictly punk rock these days.

Paul Di'Anno/Iron Maiden/Bruce Dickinson.... there's a topic worthy of its own thread

I catch repeats here and there and will put up with the hosts when there's a guest I like or am interested in.

I think they are pretty fair as far as guests (glad there's no Norweigan Black Metal, but that's another story). There are a couple of Florida death metal bands I'd love on the show, but I doubt it - given how much heavier they are than any guests appearing.

I'd like to see more bassists and drummers as the guest musicians.
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

I would have liked to have seen them do a Randy Rhoads special on the 30th Anniversary of his passing back in March, I'm sure they could have gotten at least Rudy Sarzo on again, and hopefully Tommy Aldridge and some people from the Quiet Riot days as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyK View Post
    I would have liked to have seen them do a Randy Rhoads special on the 30th Anniversary of his passing back in March, I'm sure they could have gotten at least Rudy Sarzo on again, and hopefully Tommy Aldridge and some people from the Quiet Riot days as well.
    Speaking of QR didn't Kevin DuBrow OD a couple years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    Speaking of QR didn't Kevin DuBrow OD a couple years ago?
    Yes he did.

It is funny on Stump the Trunk to see the audience ask something really obscure like who was the second assistant engineer on Iron Maiden's third demo tape. And when Eddie gets it wrong he tries to weasel out by finding some loophole, like the guy only recorded the guitars on one song or something.
    I saw one where the question was "Who was wearing the devil mask in the Number of the Beast video?" The answer was current drummer, then the drum tech, Niko. Trucks reactions to losing are always pretty funny.

One thing he's good at is rattling off consecutive albums by bands, he nailed like every UFO album the one night. Dude knows his sh!t from being a rock DJ for years.

Yes he did.
    That's a shame, I just read they played some European shows with I think Slayer and Accept using a replacement singer. Then they fired him and hired another guy and currently they are on their 3rd new singer I think.

When does another season start?

Just re-watched the Steve Harris episode on That Metal Show website. Its crazy it took 11 season to get him on there.

When does another season start?
    Not sure but when they have teasers they post them on the VH1 webiste
    http://www.vh1.com/shows/that_metal_...ter=sneakpeeks