Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

I thought it would have been something if Namor would have used his gem after losing his Phoenix powers.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Kylun123 View Post
    I don't know enough about the infinity gems in general, I suppose, so what's the hypocrisy in using it?

Also, the response earlier about Reed implied to me that they had access but chose not to.
    Each of the Illuminati promised NOT to use their gems.

The whole reason the Avengers were opposing the X-Men and the P5 was that they thought the Phoenix Force was too much for a person to control and too corrupting. The Infinity Gems are the same level of power if not higher. That's why the Illuminati took the Gauntlet apart and are keeping the gems separate.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStark1012 View Post
    I thought it would have been something if Namor would have used his gem after losing his Phoenix powers.
    This was one of my problems with Phoenix Namor losing control first. He's been put through the wringer and yet resisted using the gem to 'fix' things for his people all these years. He's got a temper, but he's also got plenty of experience dealing with absolute power.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Each of the Illuminati promised NOT to use their gems.

The whole reason the Avengers were opposing the X-Men and the P5 was that they thought the Phoenix Force was too much for a person to control and too corrupting. The Infinity Gems are the same level of power if not higher. That's why the Illuminati took the Gauntlet apart and are keeping the gems separate.
    OK, cool. That makes sense.
    Thanks for answering, appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylun123 View Post
    OK, cool. That makes sense.
    Thanks for answering, appreciate it.
    NP. The real problem with the Illuminati having the Infinity Gems was that it was rectonned into MU history. So there's all these instances where you'd think, "Why didn't they use the Infinity Gems?" to solve whatever huge threat they were facing.

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    NP. The real problem with the Illuminati having the Infinity Gems was that it was rectonned into MU history. So there's all these instances where you'd think, "Why didn't they use the Infinity Gems?" to solve whatever huge threat they were facing.
    I'd have to go find the issue but wasn't Reed's reasoning for not using it against the P5 pretty vague too? To paraphrase, if they started doing it in this case, it would be letting the genie out of the bottle. Not his exact words but then he also thought what the P5 were doing was fine by him too.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Long Live the Legion Zero Hunter's Avatar

I still think it was such a bad idea to change it back so the gems all worked together again. If they would have just left it alone after Infinity Gauntlet where the gems only worked by themselves and could never be used all at once like Thanos did again it would have been much better. I liked it when you had people like Pip, Gammora, Warlock, and the other having gems. But just like every other BIG storyline from the past modern writers think they can tell a better Infinity Gauntlet, Korvac, or Dark Phoenix story even though most of them fail

Releasing Johnny's torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Where the diwatas and the Triumph Division call home

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I'd have to go find the issue but wasn't Reed's reasoning for not using it against the P5 pretty vague too? To paraphrase, if they started doing it in this case, it would be letting the genie out of the bottle. Not his exact words but then he also thought what the P5 were doing was fine by him too.
    It went something like we do not confront one uncontrollable cosmic force with another uncontrollable cosmic force.
    Johnny Storm was dead; who is this resurrected Johnny Storm?
    "Here, hold my Annihilus…" Johnny Storm, Fantastic Four #601