Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What have you broken down and read thanks to this years Classic Comics Christmas?

If you're anything like me, this year's CCC was filled with books you haven't heard of, and books you'd heard of but never thought to read, and books you'd been meaning to read. As well as some old favorites. Listing all that fell into any of those categories is too much for me. And I fear there were more entries that caused me to say "I should read that" than I ever expect to get around to.

So my question is this: What have you gotten around to? And please, take your time and share as you read/buy/reread comics over the coming months.

At work I've learned it's important to tangibly demonstrate impact, and while Kurt knows we all enjoy and appreciate CCC, I think a hugely important impact is the new discoveries people make.

My entry to the discussion follows.

I picked up my first on impulse at a comic store while visiting home, which I read on the flight back. This was nobody's entry in the CCC, as it was a clearly ineligible nonconsecutively numbered series. But despite that, people talked about it some, and when I saw the big trade, I gave in. Bought it and read the whole 9 issue series on the plane.

Of course I mean Chase. I can see why people are upset it got cancelled so soon. And it's cool to see Williams pre-Promethea. Already a brilliant artis, but before he reached his height.

Next I plan to see what entries I can find in my long boxes that I may not have read. Or I'll just buy Blazing Combat.
    formerly coke & comics

Sleepwalker is Sandman done right. ~Tadhg

I've bought a run of Twilight Avenger of ebay and am just starting to read it.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

I finally sat down & (in the case of various issues, re-)read Inferior Five & Doorway to Nightmare. The latter didn't make my list, but it's a darned good series.

And to make sure it warranted my elevated ranking (it did), I re-read Semper Fi as well.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

I haven't acted yet on account of my being away from home for the holidays, but I intend to find, buy and read Semper fi as soon as I can. I kind of liked the idea of the book when it first came out, but back then I was a little upset by the wave of military comics that Marvel put out (those were the Reagan and Bush Sr. years) and I didn't give gems such as the 'Nam or Semper Fi the chance they deserved. But now that we're living in a somewhat less jingoistic era (or at least less obviously so), it's time to correct that!
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

I need to look much further into 'Nam as well. I've got only a bare handful of issues.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    I need to look much further into 'Nam as well. I've got only a bare handful of issues.
    The first 12 issues were absolute gold. The book remained pretty darn good until Doug Murray left as the writer (with issue 51). After that you can just forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    The first 12 issues were absolute gold. The book remained pretty darn good until Doug Murray left as the writer (with issue 51). After that you can just forget about it.

Is that because Michael Golden was the artist for most of the first dozen issue?

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Is that because Michael Golden was the artist for most of the first dozen issue?
    They may have had better synergy than Murray had with later artists. I Michael Golden, but I'm not wonky over him like a lot of people are.

Workin' on Skull the Slayer. Turns out I own issues 1, 2, & 4.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    They may have had better synergy than Murray had with later artists. I Michael Golden, but I'm not wonky over him like a lot of people are.
    My heart started beating faster and I started barking joyfully when you said "Michael Golden". His art is to me what a walk in the park is to a dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    Was that one of this year's choices? I thought about including it on account of issues 1-2-3, but the rest of the series was a retcon disaster. Steve Englehart changed the direction of the series 180 degrees from what Marv Wolfman had started, and Bill Mantlo re-oriented it away to much confusion in plot. Still, great start in the first three issues... Pure, unapologetic comic-book adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    My heart started beating faster and I started barking joyfully when you said "Michael Golden". His art is to me what a walk in the park is to a dog!
    His stuff makes you want to, uh, relieve yourself?

That's too bad, man.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    Always wanted these as a teenager, purely from his appearance in that Marvel-Two-In-One issue. Now thats a book I miss, mainly for the joy of discovering characters I had no access to, and the done in one stories.
    kalorama :Take your reason and logic and begone! We don't cotton to your like 'round here!

Well, after this years CCC, I accidentally purchased the Steve Ditko Omnibus from DC and so have read Shade the Changing Man. A pretty wild ride, but one I'm sad wasn't able to reach a better conclusion.

However, for any Shade fans who haven't found the issue through other means, know that the Omnibus collects the unpublished Shade #9, so you can at least see a bit more of the story, if not anything resembling a resolution.
    formerly coke & comics

Sleepwalker is Sandman done right. ~Tadhg

Speaking of Ditko, I am finally reading through the 4 issue run of Stalker, the Christmas list giving me the incentive to finally break them out and read them. I am reviewing them as I go in the From the Sorcerer's Scroll thread.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco