Default Judge Dredd question

I just saw the Dredd movie and it was awesome! it's a pitty it didn't do well sales-wise. This movie got my interested in reading Judge Dredd comics, but the results on Amazon were a little confusing. I found some "Judge Dredd: Case Files" but I could find how many there are. Are there different editions, because I saw 2 different types of covers. I also found the "Judge Dredd: The Complete Brian Bolland". Does that overlap with the "Judge Dredd: Case Files" books. Are there any good suggestion for someone to start? Thanx in advance guys!

http://lordtoede.blogspot Scott M Davis's Avatar

Casefiles reprints JD stories from the beginning. As far as I know its up to vol 18. Each case file is a year of Dredd stories. There are 2 different covers because one is the original UK version and the other is the US cover, the colour covers.
    Pull List: Valiant Titles, All New Marvel Now Titles, Popeye Classics, Haunted Horror.

Also the complete Brian Boland is what it sounds like, it's a reprint of material by Boland. There is overlap with the case files, but there are also story gaps on stories that Boland shared art duties on. So the Casefiles are a more complete experience for reading Dredd. Where as complete Boland is more of a glorified art book.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M Davis View Post
    Casefiles reprints JD stories from the beginning. As far as I know its up to vol 18. Each case file is a year of Dredd stories. There are 2 different covers because one is the original UK version and the other is the US cover, the colour covers.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Also the complete Brian Boland is what it sounds like, it's a reprint of material by Boland. There is overlap with the case files, but there are also story gaps on stories that Boland shared art duties on. So the Casefiles are a more complete experience for reading Dredd. Where as complete Boland is more of a glorified art book.
    Thanks. From the US "Judge Dredd: Case Files" I've found only 6 in Amazon. Are there more or they're not published yet. Quality-wise which is the better edition?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    Thanks. From the US "Judge Dredd: Case Files" I've found only 6 in Amazon. Are there more or they're not published yet. Quality-wise which is the better edition?
    Since the Dredd strip has been running continuously on a weekly basis since 1977, I think you can safely assume there are a lot more than that to come. Numerous individual multi-part stories have been released as collected editions. Look out for The Cursed Earth, The Day The Law Died and Judge Death, in particular.

Between the UK & the US edition which one is better?

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    Between the UK & the US edition which one is better?
    Personally I like the UK editions better for two reasons. As you've noticed the US edition is only up to volume 6, whereas the UK is up to 18 or so. So if you want matching cover design and plan to out pace the US release schedule UK is the way to go. Also I feel the US cover stock is inferior the UK collections, as it tends to curl over time.

That being said, the content is identical between editions. And the US editions are significantly cheaper and more available compared to their UK counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Personally I like the UK editions better for two reasons. As you've noticed the US edition is only up to volume 6, whereas the UK is up to 18 or so. So if you want matching cover design and plan to out pace the US release schedule UK is the way to go. Also I feel the US cover stock is inferior the UK collections, as it tends to curl over time.

That being said, the content is identical between editions. And the US editions are significantly cheaper and more available compared to their UK counterparts.
    Thanks for all the help!

If you're having trouble determining which edition is which on Amazon (because they are notoriously bad at putting the right cover to the right listing). This site has a complete list of UK Edition 2000 AD reprints, with ISBN numbers for all the Judge Dredd casefiles. Just use those numbers to search for the volume you want, and you won't buy the wrong thing by accident.

Thanks for this information. I recently bought the first four US version case files and am anxiously awaiting volumes 7 and up to come out. I want them all to match so I'm kicking myself for not going with the UK versions. Hopefully sales have been good enough to keep these coming.

For US versions and books in color (or "colour" if you're British), what are the best Judge Dredd tpb editions?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.