Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR's Top 100 Comics of 2012, #74 - 50

Our annual countdown of the best comics of the year continues here! The second round of series, graphic novels and comic books from 2012 includes unexpected indie one-shots, heartfelt superhero stories, inventive memoir and more.

Full article here.

Buffy season 9 is in the Top 100?! And at #73 at that?!

As for Walking Dead at #67 and that comment:
    Kirkman's writing has been reinvigorated by the presence of Negan and yet another challenge

... hmm... no, I don't think it has been.

Scalped at #53 seems a bit low, to put it politely.

And Fables at #50? 5 or 6 years ago it deserved to be even higher, but now it's uninspired and by the numbers almost as much as TWD.

At least Morning Glories and Saga will be in the top 50, so that's still something. But I'm really curious what criteria you base your rankings on.
    Last edited by passer-by; 12-27-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Scalped as #53??? Man wft.
    BB

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Some things about the list .

#74- FF : So CBR isn't gonna mention the shit art the title had for a few issues ? Because honestly its the first time I dropped a series due to the art being so damn bad.

#67 - Walking Dead : Its really picked up since the new big bad guy has appeared. Its gonna be interesting to see the next possible phase in the life of Rick Grimes. This Community arc has been likely the longest one since the Prison .

#50- Fables : Cubs in Toyland restored a lot of what was missing from Fables. A sad tragic storyline that showed , not every character is gonna escape what will happen to them. I really believe that arc is what made the series get ranked so high.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Glad to see New Crusaders getting a mention. It's been a good new series.

74. FF
    73. Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Season 9
    72. Nurse Nurse
    71. Friends With Boys
    70. New Crusaders
    69. Shooters
    68. Hellboy In Hell
    67. The Walking Dead
    66. Casanova: Avaritia
    65. Wasteland
    64. Aesop's Ark
    63. Venom: Circle of Four
    62. 20th Century Boys
    61. Dorohedoro
    60. Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City
    59. Silence of Our Friends
    58. The Sixth Gun
    57. Alabaster: Wolves
    56. A Wrinkle In Time: The Graphic Novel
    55. Glory
    54. The Hypo
    53. Scalped
    52. The Nao of Brown
    51. Are You My Mother?
    50. Fables

I read the titles in bold. Cicrle of Four is pretty awful. Glory is great. I stopped Casanova and Fables and the Sixth gun and nevr could get in Scalped in spite of 5 attempts. But I'm looking forward to Are you my mother? since I loved Fun Home.

Casanovo deserves a much higher position, never really got into the Sixth Gun, although I bought nearly twenty issues from the Comixology sale. I love western, but to be honest I prefer Blueberry and Comanche.

The Sixth Gun is one of my favorite books.
    Favorite books: All books by Valiant, Green Lantern, Batman, Aquaman, Invincible, Uncanny Avengers, Five Ghosts, and The Sixth Gun.

Season 2 of Blue Estate CTpitch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by passer-by View Post
    Buffy season 9 is in the Top 100?! And at #73 at that?!
    Hey its been good all year
    A Happy supporter of Indie comics and B-list heroes

Check out the Death to Comics Podcast...if you dare

63. Venom: Circle of Four. Yeah, because Marvel readers really went ga-ga over this one. I'll check out these list mostly for shitz n' giggles, but I'll never for the life of me understand why anyone takes these "best" lists seriously.
    Marvel, STOP writing for the Trade so I can go back to collecting Monthlies again. Thanks.

Friends With Boys sounds interesting. I'll probably check out Wasteland via TPB eventually. I bought a few earlier issues out of the bargain bin but never read them. The interest was always there though. Silence Of Our Friends sounds awesome. I've heard The Nao Of Brown plugged too many times to not check it out. Of course there was more there to interest me, Scalped is high on my to-read list. The only title listed so far that I actually follow is Walking Dead.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

FF and Scalped should be way higher.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!

Donald M.

Quote Originally Posted by CTpitch View Post
    Hey its been good all year
    We seem to have very different definitions of "good" (I gave up at #12), especially considering it is put higher than, say, Wolverine and the X-Men and Aquaman. By this token Angel and Faith should be somewhere in the top 20.

But even without comparing, it shouldn't be so hard to list 100 better comics than Buffy s9.

Fables "as hip and cool as the latest Arcade Fire album".. ha. So, kind of vanilla, just 'intelligent' / 'different' enough for college students who listen to a few albums (or read a few "graphic novels" as it were) each year, informed less by experience than by what was on year end lists when they were 18? Actually...... that's not a bad comparison. Music references in comic reviews usually seem to fall flat, but intentionally or not this one is pretty apt!

This could just be me being cynical, but I keep thinking everyone saying *suchandsuch* should be higher maybe hasn't read everything that ranked higher? I know I haven't.. and I like to think that as much as I liked, say, FF, there might actually be 20something books I haven't read here that I might like even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Westchester View Post
    This could just be me being cynical, but I keep thinking everyone saying *suchandsuch* should be higher maybe hasn't read everything that ranked higher?
    Not everything, but some of the things that are ranked higher in the CBR list.
    Buffy season 9 considered better than the end of Irredeemable plus WatXM and Aquaman, for example. Or the latest issues of Fables better than the end of Scalped plus the three aforementioned series.

Strange rankings, to put it mildly. That's why I wondered what their criteria are.
    Last edited by passer-by; 12-27-2012 at 08:25 PM.