Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Iron Man #6

This February, Tony Stark soars into space in your first look at Iron Man #6, kicking off the all-new arc "God-Killer" by the blockbuster creative team of writer Kieron Gillen and artist Greg Land! Suit up for an all-new, all-different direction for the Armored Avenger as he's branded guilty for a crime he didn't know he committed! Just when he thought the events of Avengers VS. X-Men and the seeming death of the Phoenix Force was in the rear view mirror - Iron Man's first trip into space with his new suit of armor may end in the flames that he thought were extinguished! As part of Marvel NOW!, Iron Man continues to be a part of a line of titles that are taking the Marvel Universe in an exciting all-new direction, as the industry's top creators join the top Super Heroes to deliver all-new ongoing series, great for new and lapsed readers alike!

Full preview here.

I was waiting on this story arc. I do know he teams up with GoTG so it should be good.

It sure looks pretty. Does anyone else get a Halo vibe from this?
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Sounds pretty good!
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Land's art is actually pretty good if he doesn't have to draw faces.

This is the arc that should've started this new Iron Man volume from #1. The previous volume ended with Tony stating he needed to rech for the stars, why spent 5 issues with a boring extremis arc when Marvel could've give us this space arc?

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletSpyder View Post
    Land's art is actually pretty good if he doesn't have to draw faces.
    Can't even agree with that, as it looks like you can see the arrangement of all the Photoshop Layers upon which Land cut and pasted spaceships.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Those two pages look great! I've really been looking forward to this arc. Tony in space has gold written all over it. This arc has been hit or miss so hopefully this one is big.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

With Marvel NOW! I thought I'd try Iron Man for the first time. Dropped after 2. Can't buy into this as long as Land is on it.

That art isn't too bad to be honest.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Ech. That's pretty shaky, either compared to what some of the better Indy sci-fi artists do or to the dudes that had been handling Marvel's space shenanigans over the last few years.

Maybe a no-win draw for the perpetual battle of Greg Land versus the title Greg Land is working on, at best

Quote Originally Posted by PupsOfWar View Post
    Ech. That's pretty shaky, either compared to what some of the better Indy sci-fi artists do or to the dudes that had been handling Marvel's space shenanigans over the last few years.

Maybe a no-win draw for the perpetual battle of Greg Land versus the title Greg Land is working on, at best
    Yeah, compare that with Fiona Staples or Nick Pitarra or Juan Jose Ryp or any other contemporary sci-fi comic artist, and it's downright lifeless.

I really can't wait for the art duties to change. This relaunch was supposed to be glorious. I've never had an issue with Keiron Gillen up to this point, but the stilted artwork is ruining what could have been.
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStark1012 View Post
    Those two pages look great! I've really been looking forward to this arc. Tony in space has gold written all over it. This arc has been hit or miss so hopefully this one is big.
    Tony/Iron Man in space is awesome! But, Land is seriously testing my will on this book.
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

I'm pretty sure one of those starfighters is just straight up an American fighter-jet that got photoshopped in there.

Hypothetically there could be a story behind that.
    Maybe aliens used teleporters to displace a section of the American mid-west into the depths of space during a battle for some reason.

But that doesn't change how stiff and unnatural a rendition of the ol' "spaceships flying around and exploding" tableau that looks to be.