Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Justice League, #15

The "Throne of Atlantis" crossover with "Aquaman" brings more panel time for the Sea King, but it also brings Geoff Johns' "Aquaman" collaborators: Ivan Reis, Joe Prado and Rod Reis to "Justice League" #15 as the regular art team.

Full review here.

I enjoyed this issue immensely. The best aspect to this issue is showing the heroes (minus Flash and Green Lantern) when they aren’t fighting crime. Supes and Wonder Woman are building a relationship, Cyborg is always working and Batman is taking down some perps. What they do when the feces hit the fan is be heroes and it’s cool to see them being called into action.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

American at the Crossroad
    This weird geometrically shaped place in northern VA...

I gave it a 3.5 out of 4, so same thing really. This was the best issue of Johns' run, even if it still had some hiccups. In two reviews (for different sections of my column), I wrote:

"The Throne of Atlantis crossover with Aquaman is now in full swing and to Johns’ credit, he certainly didn’t waste a lot of time getting to the action. Atlantis is now at war with the surface world, all because of an errant missile from an American warship that mysteriously targeted the underwater kingdom. Why did it happen? How did it happen? How many tactical nuclear missile strikes to the center of a Tootsie Pop? All of that remains to be seen, but for now we have to be content with the knowledge that the plan against our civilization that Aquaman’s brother, Orm the Ocean Master, is following? Aquaman totally came up with it. Awkward.

"We get some great moments between Batman and Aquaman, further showcasing both the tension between the two on leadership of the League as well as the mutual admiration they have for one another though they’d be reluctant to admit it. Cyborg feels like a wallflower in the issue, but you have to imagine there’s more to his story than Johns is letting on thus far, while Flash is MIA, dealing with the attack on Central City in his own book’s Gorilla Warfare, and Superman and Wonder Woman have a nice date night out. Before the Atlantis craziness, that is. The backup story with Shazam adds some interesting twists…but we’ll get to that in a bit…

"Well, when you’ve only got two new releases to review, one has to be a winner and the other a loser, although in this case, it comes down to Justice League #15 being the better of two really solid books. What makes this one stand above Aquaman #15 is that it has the benefit of being the first chapter in the Throne of Atlantis crossover and it sets the tone early. While some stories tend to spend a bit too much time setting things up and padding the story out, this one was balls to the wall from the opening. It’s not a perfect issue, as continuity questions are raised with major cities being flooded by the Atlanteans that make you wonder when this all takes place given the lack of references to things like Gotham and Metropolis being hit by tidal waves in Batman and Superman related books. There’s also the issue of the creatures from The Trench, which ran through Aquaman #1-4, being featured in this story; when you see them you’re supposed to have one of those “oh shit” moments, but it only works if you’ve been reading Aquaman from the start as that’s the only place these characters have ever appeared, but it’s still a really strong issue. The backup with Shazam has Billy coming to terms with going from weak kid to superpowered adult by way of magic and after a few pages, I was prepared to give it a negative mark. Why? Because in every scene, he just happened to find a crime being committed and it seemed too convenient. What changed my mind? That it was all intentional, and that that point was raised exactly and explained satisfactorily. Between that bit of cleverness and the ending promising a major throwdown next issue between Shazam and Black Adam, this was probably the best issue of the backup feature."

http://www.nerdtopiacast.com/2012/12...t-of-issue-21/

The Captain Marvel backup is like some sort of sick joke. In this issue our "hero" literally robs an ATM machine. Holy Moley, what is going on?

I must say Johns is keeping his promise of showing that war is not always clear cut. And that different sides can sometimes only see and justify their own position. The art was AWESOME as ecpected

Quote Originally Posted by JokersNuts View Post
    The Captain Marvel backup is like some sort of sick joke. In this issue our "hero" literally robs an ATM machine. Holy Moley, what is going on?
    Shazam isn't a hero yet. He is a flawed teenager that had powers thrown on him by a desperate Wizard. The story so far isn't about a hero, it is about a journey to becoming a hero

Justice League is worth picking up ONLY for Shazam. It's ridicul how much better Johns is with solo books. This issue is no exception.

This felt like the best written issue so far. I really appreciate the little moments that make the characters feel like more than a set of powers and this issue delivered a little bit of that and I hope it becomes part of the storytelling mix from now on. Especially if Aquaman and the JL are at odds and with the Trinity War possibly causing conflict in the team, the characters need to be better defined.

Agree with the review. The book was a solid read and with epic art and action but the human interactions( Clark/Diana, Bruce/Arthur, Vic/Dad) made it all the better!

This was the best combination of feeling like a real Justice League book and actually being decently written we've had so far. It's all felt very small and unimpressive previously (the fill in issues), or it's been incredibly decompressed (both the Darkseid and Graves arcs).

This is the first issue that sort of modeled itself on the hyper-capable JLA we had through Morrison/Waid/Kelly, where it felt like things were happening, threats were real, the characters were present but the plot was the focus and enough was happening to justify it being a full issue.

Hopefully this is what we'll see going forward. I wouldn't rate it so highly, as I still find it relatively bland and rote, but I'd be satisified with it as a series if it kept up this quality, even if it isn't quite for me.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Shazam has been an incredible read thus far. Issue 15 was non-stop laughs. This is exactly how I picture kids goofing off with new found super powers. Oh yea, and before Shazam there was another awesome comic! I don't need to go into details about how Throne of Atlantis is starting off great since you've all done that better than I can. I'll suffice it to say this is the best $4 I've spent in a long time.