Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Batman Chronicles 11 TPB

I've always been a huge fan of the Batman Chronicles series, really love the idea of packaging the stories as they were released, but was crushed when it looked like they were cancelling the series.
    More excited then ever now that it's back!! Am I the only one?
    http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...onicles-vol-11
    "We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, TWIRLING towards freedom!"
    -Clin-Ton (Kodos)

Well, I guess I am...
    "We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, TWIRLING towards freedom!"
    -Clin-Ton (Kodos)

This is a very small sampling of fandom... who just so happen to not look forward to anything

I'm glad to see the series continue. It's not my favorite paper in the whole wide world, but it's a good format. And I think there is at least some Sprang art in the upcoming volume, so that's a plus. Honestly, though, I'm more interested in them continuing the Wonder Woman Chronicles. We only have 3 of those.

I really like the concept behind this series, but unfortunately haven't had time to start it when I have so many other awesome (and not so awesome) things to read. I wish they'd come out with them at a bit faster rate, but I would be so thrilled if they did get around to collecting everything up to atleast the mid 80s. I have the Black Casebook and those stories have definitely given me a craving for more of these vintage Bat-stories.

I love the Batman Chronicles volumes. However, as I mentioned in the shipping thread at the top of the forum index, this volume does not ship this coming week, despite what the DC site says.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Delayed?!? Aw, man! Didn't see that! Well, I've waited two years...what's a little bit longer?
    -Clin-Ton (Kodos)

Fortuna Favet Fortibus The Lucky One's Avatar

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I unfortunately don't have the time these days to read all the volumes as they come out, but I still get them all in anticipation of someday when I'll be able to.

That said, I do suspect that the Chronicles line doesn't have much longer to go. Not so much because of lack of interest (although that's possible), but because the comic companies have to increasingly move in a digital direction if they want to survive. Neither DC nor Marvel is there yet and may not be for years to come, but the day will come when they'll have to start making all of their past issues available online as another means of remaining profitable. Otherwise, pirates will do it for them (it's already begun). I'm not condoning it, but if you can download every issue of Batman and 'Tec from 1939 to today for free and read them on your iPad anywhere you go, or buy 11 Chronicles volumes at $19.99 apiece that only take you through the early '40s... well, a lot of people are going to go for option "A."

-D
    "I love the nostalgic, myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
    ~Walt Disney

The Impulsive Buy
    Mutant Reviewers From Hell

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I unfortunately don't have the time these days to read all the volumes as they come out, but I still get them all in anticipation of someday when I'll be able to.
    It's the same with me.

That said, I do suspect that the Chronicles line doesn't have much longer to go. Not so much because of lack of interest (although that's possible), but because the comic companies have to increasingly move in a digital direction if they want to survive.
    I don't really see this being an issue here. Collected editions are still an enormous part of their business and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.
    Jim Zimmerman

But are they still printing earlier volumes? I don't know if Volumes 3 or 4 are still available from DC or not.
    (Both Barnes & Noble and amazon.com don't seem to have them any more; you have to go through other sellers on their websites.)
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I know some of the Wonder Woman Chronicles are out of print which makes no sense to me. Don't know about the Batman ones but in any case, it seems this should be something that's kept in print or else they just need to go digital completely and make the entire back issue catalog available for all their Golden Age stories.

Unless it's a major sales hit, it's not unusual for DC to let a trade go out of print.
    Jim Zimmerman

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    Unless it's a major sales hit, it's not unusual for DC to let a trade go out of print.
    Could understand that about your average trade but something like this obviously will appeal over a long period of time. New readers might want to check out some history, older readers want to replace some holes... just seems like there's no way to gauge when the markets' needs have been met when dealing with this type of material. Got annoyed that the old Archives would do the same thing.

I only have the first 5 volumes because of their historical importance like character first appearance, etc. but pretty soon they'll be reprinting stuff from the 50's which had the corny sci-fi crap stories.

Fortuna Favet Fortibus The Lucky One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    I only have the first 5 volumes because of their historical importance like character first appearance, etc. but pretty soon they'll be reprinting stuff from the 50's which had the corny sci-fi crap stories.
    Not for quite a while... they're on volume 11 and only up to November 1943.

That's the thing about popular Golden Age characters -- between 64-page solo titles plus the anthology titles, plus usually an ancillary title (World's Finest, Comic Cavalcade), plus the occasional special issue (World Fair, Great American Comic Book, Flash Comics Wheaties mini-comic), they appeared in a LOT of stories in a fairly short period of time.

-D
    Last edited by The Lucky One; 12-30-2012 at 06:11 AM.
    "I love the nostalgic, myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
    ~Walt Disney

The Impulsive Buy
    Mutant Reviewers From Hell