Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Smith View Post
    I don't object to anyone saying they don't think its a story they're going to enjoy so they aren't going to get it, nothing wrong with that.

what I find funny is the people that definitively declare that a story that hasn't even come out yet sucks.

plus, there was a lot of people complaining about the return of Bucky, or the Young Avengers, before those came out, and now they just look like idiots.
    Exactly this. Of course, evidence shows that certain comic fans never tire of looking like idiots. They'll go into outrage mode every time, before a controversial story has had a chance to actually, you know, be told. Anyhow, I'm jazzed for SSM - bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by pblimp360 View Post
    100% truth.
    Yeah! Except for all those people bitching about him getting replaced because they were only interested in reading about Steve Rogers.

In fact, this took all of thirty seconds on Google:

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty. View Post
    By your comments, I take it you don't read the series. It's the most critically acclaimed comic being produced today, so for something that's about a character who "isn't for this time", everybody seems to not care.

Steve Rogers is Captain America, not the costume. This is what too many people just don't understand. Perhaps this is the exact point that Ed plans to get across when the story is over.
    Last edited by 0bsessions; 12-28-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 0bsessions View Post
    Yeah! Except for all those people bitching about him getting replaced because they were only interested in reading about Steve Rogers.
    They are few in comparison to those who accepted it. They also know Brubaker is a very capable writer too, so it eased things as well.

But outside of Bruce Wayne, or Kal L, no other character is as beloved for their civilian life as well as their alter ego, as Peter Parker is. Steve doesn't come close.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    The world is a lie.
    Taranus also wasnt really thor..... AHHHHH the mayans were right but wrong about the day.....

That's not a "difference," Slott's work on Spider-Man has gotten near unanimous critical praise. If anything, you're only further solidifying the point.
    Where is this unanimous critical praise? I've seen pretty mixed reviews. For every positive review there is a negative one. I've also see a lot of mixed response to his stories here too.

I'm not saying his run has been bad. It hasn't been bad and at times I loved his run. But I don't think people breath the name Dan Slott in the same breath as someone like Ed Brubaker or Grant Morrison (although I don't care much for Morrison).
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

With Ed, I'd say his first fifty issues of Cap got the widest acclaim. His later issues, not as much -- albeit far from bad, of course. People just weren't talking about it as much as his early stuff.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

They are few in comparison to those who accepted it. They also know Brubaker is a very capable writer too, so it eased things as well.
    More fun!

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondiablo View Post
    and i just quit comics. thank you marvel for losing a 18 year fan. i wont even be going to the comic shops today. i dont even want that insulting garbage in my collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by dingo View Post
    I won't go into hyperbole.

I will say 2 things.

This was a bad idea.

I expected better from Tom Brevoort. How did he let this past?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmacq1 View Post
    Wise words, yes, but contradictory to what Marvel has shown for the last 30 years or so: That only one man can truly bear the burden of being Captain America, and that man is (was?) Steve Rogers.

Seriously, it's basically been the central theme every time Steve -stopped- being Captain America for any length of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    As much as I trust Ed Brubaker, I have to admit that this does not fill me with a lot of hope for the future of the title. Of course no on believes that Cap is dead, so why even go here? It just seems unnecessary, like another "huge shocking event that changes the MU forever!" Which, after a while gets to be kind of old.

Although I haven't read any of the Civil War stuff yet (I'm waiting for the trades) this entire story seems like a bad idea that has only complicated the MU.
    Quote Originally Posted by OMCS View Post
    I'm not quite sure how to take this.... Yeah, it's a comic book character. Sure there is a chance that he will be back. Maybe sooner than later. I guess for me the real issue is the story. Civil War disappointed me so badly. The characterizations, the storyline, and the "how". How it started. How useless was the death of Bill Foster- Giant Man. How it ended. How people acted in story.... it all just seemed off. To me. So I didn't support it (cash wise). I read with the thought that maybe it is good and I'll buy them all. But it didn't. So sad to me.

Now, in another "shocking" moment, Marvel is going to kill an icon. This isn't Supergirl death in the original Crisis on Infinite Earths.... It isn't Captain Marvel dies of cancer... Really it isn't even Blue Beetle dying at the hands of an old friend... It's not even Gwen Stacy dying accidently...

It just seems like a poor marketing ploy rather than the work of excellent writing... I'm just not going to support it with my cash. I refuse to and I will share my opinion on what I perceive to be a poor job on Marvel's part to tell an interesting story...

Yeah... end of rant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-o-Lantern View Post
    I am done with Marvel for a long while. I will finish out Planet Hulk, but after that the hell with those Icon killers.
    Quote Originally Posted by lament View Post
    Oh for crying out loud. If this is true, it's such a lame move on the part of the writers.
    And that's just a few entries from 50 pages of thread. And more than a few of those can be taken out of context entirely and applied directly to this turn of events. It is the exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    Where is this unanimous critical praise? I've seen pretty mixed reviews. For every positive review there is a negative one. I've also see a lot of mixed response to his stories here too.

I'm not saying his run has been bad. It hasn't been bad and at times I loved his run. But I don't think people breath the name Dan Slott in the same breath as someone like Ed Brubaker or Grant Morrison (although I don't care much for Morrison).
    Before this I didnt know that people associated Brubaker and Morrison in the same class.....Morrison and Moore maybe...just for the quirkiness....I am not sure I would put Brubaker with even someone like Miller...i might put Brubaker with Bendis...really solid stories that interested me to no end....but then again I am comparing writers of a different age so maybe your interpretation is justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Exactly this. Of course, evidence shows that certain comic fans never tire of looking like idiots. They'll go into outrage mode every time, before a controversial story has had a chance to actually, you know, be told. Anyhow, I'm jazzed for SSM - bring it on!
    Because its FUN!!!!! Eight dollars was a lot to pay for a funny book and I feel I got my money's worth by reading this and listening to people have discourse on the subject...Father Jerusalem was hilarious...

Quote Originally Posted by jsg2295 View Post
    Before this I didnt know that people associated Brubaker and Morrison in the same class.....Morrison and Moore maybe...just for the quirkiness....I am not sure I would put Brubaker with even someone like Miller...i might put Brubaker with Bendis...really solid stories that interested me to no end....but then again I am comparing writers of a different age so maybe your interpretation is justified.
    I was just going for writer that had "Killed Off" main characters like Cap and Batman. Those were just the recent names that came to mind for obvious reasons.

I was saying that Dan Slott is not in the same class as them.

Come join the club!

And that's just a few entries from 50 pages of thread. And more than a few of those can be taken out of context entirely and applied directly to this turn of events. It is the exact same thing.
    So you are honestly saying that Steve Rodgers has as much popularity as Peter Parker?

Come join the club!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    So you are honestly saying that Steve Rodgers has as much popularity as Peter Parker?
    I would say that Captain America has as much Popularity as Peter Parker...but Steve Rogers...no

More fun!

Yes, because that thread represents a consensus of more fans caring for Steve Rogers being Cap as compared to Peter Parker being Spidey, right?

It's not the same. Not in volume of those who love these characters is my point.

Oh, and chill with the snark. It's unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by jsg2295 View Post
    I would say that Captain America has as much Popularity as Peter Parker...but Steve Rogers...no
    And you'd be wrong. Spider-Man's popularity>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Captain America's. This isn't even a debate.

And you'd be wrong. Spider-Man's popularity>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Captain America's. This isn't even a debate.
    Haha ...gotcha....Captain America is popular as PETER PARKER...i didnt write anything about Spidey....i have crushed you in the crux of my logic