Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 374
  1. #226
    Kind of a DB 0bsessions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston/Cambridge, MA
    Posts
    1,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EuphemismForSex View Post
    Thunderbolts for long time hasn't been anyone masquerading as anyone. Admittedly I have no broad breadth of knowledge on the title, but for as long as I read it it was reformed/reforming villains doing good (trying) as part of some rehabilitation program, not unlike the real world. Except of course they're "super", so they have them do more than pick up trash on the side of a highway. They were guilty and incarcerated.
    That's only been the operational concept of Thunderbolts since Ellis' run on the title from back around 2007. I was never a big reader of the title, but the initial concept of the title was as follows:

    In the aftermath of Onslaught (When the Avengers and Fantastic Four "died" for about a year), the only real big, operating superhero team was the X-Men who were not well liked since a mutant had killed most of the world's popular heroes. Baron Zemo, leader of the Masters of Evil, decided to have the team masquerade as a new team of superheroes to earn the public's trust and eventually use that trust for personal gain. There was no intent at redemption, no plan to better themselves, just a bunch of villains deciding to take advantage of the public's mourning and need for heroes.

    The Thunderbolts did eventually redeem themselves, but the concept was very similar.

  2. #227
    You are #2. jsg2295's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    the village
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EuphemismForSex View Post
    Well, my other point was that the later iteration of the team were actually doing what Ock should be doing at this point. Turning himself in and joining that same group/program. But that seems more the logical conclusion once Ock figures out how to be a decent human being, if he ever truly does.
    I dont want Spock to be a decent human being....I want him to fail miserably.....I want it to be shown that being Spiderman is hard....that not anyone can just pick up the mantle and do it......that it is an incredible responsibility that not just anyone can pick up and do.....trying to be Spidey AND having a job AND juggling a personal life should be hard and Spock doing it should make him go mad.....................I want Spock to fail at being a decent human being and hero.

  3. #228
    Member / Bon Vivant Soundrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    Oh, and by the way, the Superman Blue storyline is not nearly as bad as it was made it to be. If you read it in its entirety, it really had some potential.

    It's far better than the atrocious "stories" that have been crapped out since "One More Day" and "Brand New Day."
    Sooo . . . you waited to read the "Superman Blue" storyline in its entirety before judging and/or boycotting it? Good on you!

  4. #229
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Peter Parker is Dave Sim!

  5. #230
    Lawn-mowing Enthusiast EuphemismForSex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A lawn.
    Posts
    3,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsg2295 View Post
    I dont want Spock to be a decent human being....I want him to fail miserably.....I want it to be shown that being Spiderman is hard....that not anyone can just pick up the mantle and do it......that it is an incredible responsibility that not just anyone can pick up and do.....trying to be Spidey AND having a job AND juggling a personal life should be hard and Spock doing it should make him go mad.....................I want Spock to fail at being a decent human being and hero.
    I don't know if I'd say I want him to, but I fully expect him to fail. It's why I don't really expect him to go the "the-version-of-the-Thunderbolts-I-remember" route, but it really is the closest he can get to par short of restoring Peter's brain.
    Bad news everyone...

  6. #231
    Man of Marvel Raphael Edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Il.
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundrave View Post
    Sooo . . . you waited to read the "Superman Blue" storyline in its entirety before judging and/or boycotting it? Good on you!
    Some of you crack me up. You say, "If you don't like it, don't read/support it", but then say something like this.

    If people are against the new direction, why should they wait to read it before boycotting it?

  7. #232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsg2295 View Post
    I dont want Spock to be a decent human being....I want him to fail miserably.....I want it to be shown that being Spiderman is hard....that not anyone can just pick up the mantle and do it......that it is an incredible responsibility that not just anyone can pick up and do.....trying to be Spidey AND having a job AND juggling a personal life should be hard and Spock doing it should make him go mad.....................I want Spock to fail at being a decent human being and hero.
    Wouldn't that go against the "everyman" nature of the character?
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

  8. #233
    Senior Member Lars C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsg2295 View Post
    I dont want Spock to be a decent human being....I want him to fail miserably.....I want it to be shown that being Spiderman is hard....that not anyone can just pick up the mantle and do it......that it is an incredible responsibility that not just anyone can pick up and do.....trying to be Spidey AND having a job AND juggling a personal life should be hard and Spock doing it should make him go mad.....................I want Spock to fail at being a decent human being and hero.
    I think you may be on to what the story is about there!

  9. #234
    Member / Bon Vivant Soundrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pblimp360 View Post
    Some of you crack me up. You say, "If you don't like it, don't read/support it", but then say something like this.

    If people are against the new direction, why should they wait to read it before boycotting it?
    Because how can you be against something that you haven't read yet? Some of you crack me up.

  10. #235
    Junior Member TheOther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundrave View Post
    Because how can you be against something that you haven't read yet? Some of you crack me up.
    It is okay to boycott concepts.

    Some people boycott meat because of the way animals are treated. Are you saying that they have to at least eat that meat before declaring a boycott?

    I read Avenging #15.1 and that was enough to make me not want to read about Otto as Peter.

  11. #236
    Veteran Member Leocomix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX7373 View Post
    Good to see you can selectively adress my argument. Again I ask how do you know Spidey has no insurance? Nothing has appeared on pannel to suggest spidey has no coverage. And man you are right how stupid of me to have an avatar of my favorite comic character on a comic message board. And I dont know what post your talking about the only time I've been hostile to another poster was when they make homophobic comments. I dont consider that being a tough guy just being a decent human being. So why dont you stick to responding to my whole argument not just the bits and pieces you think you can refute. Or are you still too mad that I pointed out a character staying married instead of being perpetually single is more realistic. But by all means make fun of my avatar it makes you look so mature.
    You're still in a fantasy world. I'm not mad about "a character being married is more realistic". The idea doesn't elicit anger but boredom but apparently since you fixate on "being mad," I guess you're projecting and talking about yourself. I.e. my answer got you mad hence your hostility (and your favorite character is known to be extremely hostile and you just happened to choose a picture where he's gritting his teeth). Maybe it's a pattern, you're mad at Quesada for undoing the marriage, you're mad at Slott for Undying Wish, you identify with a character who's mad at something, you're mad at a poster for refuting your arguments...
    Nothing suggests Peter has coverage. You must go by Occam's razor law. It's never been mentioned and he's been short of money all his life until the Horizon job (unless being short of money was proof to you that he must have been paying for said coverage??).
    So is that your argument? Maybe he had coverage even though that's never been mentioned? Do you also think that Mr. Responsibility pays back for the damage he causes with that hypothetical coverage?

    Now, going back to your first post where you address me, you seem to have taken umbrage at the fact that I compared Wacker's humor to the humor Spidey uses to rattle his foes and took it personally even though I wasn't responding tp one of your posts. You wrote some tirade about getting the last laugh, voting with your dollars, sales declining and you used the words "half-a$$" "crap". Who's mad?

  12. #237
    Member / Bon Vivant Soundrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOther View Post
    It is okay to boycott concepts.

    Some people boycott meat because of the way animals are treated. Are you saying that they have to at least eat that meat before declaring a boycott?
    So you're saying that the "Superior Spider-Man" series (which, mind you, has not been released yet) could be entertaining and superbly written, but that you are nonetheless boycotting it due to what you perceive is the unethical treatment of a fictional character?

  13. #238
    You are #2. jsg2295's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    the village
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Wouldn't that go against the "everyman" nature of the character?
    Well that is the conundrum isnt it? We know that PP is represented as just an ordinary joe that gained superpowers and decided to become a hero after a great tragedy. But he isnt if you think about it....Poor PP went through so much to get to where he is today...I value to guess that at least 99% of humanity could not do what PP tried to do during his life and career. I think about my own life now.... I have got to find time just to do some of the hobbies I like (no this isnt a hobby and I am at work doing CT's between me typing this)...the fact that PP can do all this and still be called "ordinary"..... as if there was a such thing...blows my mind.
    Its hard...and there is a reason its hard. Not everyone can do it...it takes being able to give of yourself in a way that pleases yourself and those around you.
    Peter did this for so long that most people took it for granted.

  14. #239
    Man of Marvel Raphael Edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Il.
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundrave View Post
    Because how can you be against something that you haven't read yet? Some of you crack me up.
    Because you're highly against it's conception and set up? Or maybe the character and their personality? There are a number of reasons why you can choose to be against something before you read it. Stop it.

  15. #240
    Man of Marvel Raphael Edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Il.
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundrave View Post
    So you're saying that the "Superior Spider-Man" series (which, mind you, has not been released yet) could be entertaining and superbly written, but that you are nonetheless boycotting it due to what you perceive is the unethical treatment of a fictional character?
    Seems like you have a hard time understanding or accepting others opinions if they don't align with yours.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •