Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Is this thread representative of the entirety of the Spider-Man boards? If so, I'll continue avoiding it at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozier View Post

Is this thread representative of the entirety of the Spider-Man boards? If so, I'll continue avoiding it at all costs.
    Oh, there are other threads that have been worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    The big difference is that the T-Bolts didn't murder their hero and steal the body of their to become their hero selves. I mean, I like the storyline and think it's going to be fascinating if its well written, but I understand why a lot of people are having probably grabbing on to the idea of reading about the murderer of Peter Parker right this moment. I think these people are being silly, but I understand it.
    No, they just beat the Avengers' helpless butler within an inch of his life that one time and only formed a superhero group to take advantage of the reported deaths of the Avengers and Fantastic Four in an effort to take over the world.

I mean, yeah, it's not direct apples to apples, but the crux of the Thunderbolts concept was a bunch of scumbags pretending to be superheroes for personal gain who eventually gained a sense of personal responsibility. Sure, the journey there was different, but the destination was the same.

100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    OMG! Peter Parker is Cerebus!!
    ha ha, that was funny
    "I'm sending him a bouquet of cans."

SW

Quote Originally Posted by 0bsessions View Post
    No, they just beat the Avengers' helpless butler within an inch of his life that one time and only formed a superhero group to take advantage of the reported deaths of the Avengers and Fantastic Four in an effort to take over the world.

I mean, yeah, it's not direct apples to apples, but the crux of the Thunderbolts concept was a bunch of scumbags pretending to be superheroes for personal gain who eventually gained a sense of personal responsibility. Sure, the journey there was different, but the destination was the same.

Did those same characters do Jarvis like that? I didn't catch the Thunderbolts wave after it'd been spoiled. I'm glad I did, but I wasn't aware it was those same Masters of Evil, given how many different Masters of Evil there'd been. But, yes. It's the same kind of journey. I just meant that some might have a harder time grappling with it because of the specifics in this case.

Lawn-mowing Enthusiast EuphemismForSex's Avatar

You know, it hadn't occurred to me before now, but there is some precedent to the concept of a villain masquerading as a hero and turning out the better for it. A whole team of them, in fact.

If Thunderbolts, as a concept, could work, so can this.
    Thunderbolts for long time hasn't been anyone masquerading as anyone. Admittedly I have no broad breadth of knowledge on the title, but for as long as I read it it was reformed/reforming villains doing good (trying) as part of some rehabilitation program, not unlike the real world. Except of course they're "super", so they have them do more than pick up trash on the side of a highway. They were guilty and incarcerated.
    Bad news everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    Oh, and by the way, the Superman Blue storyline is not nearly as bad as it was made it to be. If you read it in its entirety, it really had some potential.
    I did read it in its entirety. Even after he split into red and blue and had the millenium giants crossover. Even after he gave it to Strange Visitor (what an awful name). It did have potential, but it never achieved any of it.

Slott has written some of the most engaging Spider-Man I've ever read, and that keeps me reading him. Had I known better at the time to follow writers and not concepts, I'd have dropped Electric Superman much earlier than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by EuphemismForSex View Post
    Thunderbolts for long time hasn't been anyone masquerading as anyone. Admittedly I have no broad breadth of knowledge on the title, but for as long as I read it it was reformed/reforming villains doing good (trying) as part of some rehabilitation program, not unlike the real world. Except of course they're "super", so they have them do more than pick up trash on the side of a highway. They were guilty and incarcerated.
    Then you missed the truly stellar early, initial run. Seriously. Go read it if you haven't.

Did those same characters do Jarvis like that? I didn't catch the Thunderbolts wave after it'd been spoiled. I'm glad I did, but I wasn't aware it was those same Masters of Evil, given how many different Masters of Evil there'd been. But, yes. It's the same kind of journey. I just meant that some might have a harder time grappling with it because of the specifics in this case.
    Wasn't sure, to be honest, I'm not a longtime Avengers reader. According to Wikipedia, the Under Siege arc did include multiple Thunderbolts under that Master of Evil roster (Fixer, Goliath, Screaming Mimi), but the beating was apparently performed by Mr. Hyde specifically, so I'm not sure how complicit the Thunderbolts are. They were present, so they share some guilt, but I don't know that any of them were actually involved in the beating.

Did those same characters do Jarvis like that?
    Yes. Zemo, for instance, was part of that storyline.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Wasn't sure, to be honest, I'm not a longtime Avengers reader. According to Wikipedia, the Under Siege arc did include multiple Thunderbolts under that Master of Evil roster (Fixer, Goliath, Screaming Mimi), but the beating was apparently performed by Mr. Hyde specifically, so I'm not sure how complicit the Thunderbolts are. They were present, so they share some guilt, but I don't know that any of them were actually involved in the beating.
    Oh right. Under Siege. Despite always wanting to, I've never gotten to read that damn book. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    OMG! Peter Parker is Cerebus!!
    its what I was going for...your welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by EuphemismForSex View Post
    Thunderbolts for long time hasn't been anyone masquerading as anyone. Admittedly I have no broad breadth of knowledge on the title...
    The current Thunderbolts, now Dark Avengers, consists of Osborns latest Dark Avengers group, with Ai Apaec as a black suited Spider-Man, Skaar as Hulk, Barney Barton as Hawkeye, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Yes. Zemo, for instance, was part of that storyline.
    Yeah, I knew Zemo was involved in Under Siege, but I wasn't sure about the rest. I do hope to read it someday.

Lawn-mowing Enthusiast EuphemismForSex's Avatar

Then you missed the truly stellar early, initial run. Seriously. Go read it if you haven't.
    Well, my other point was that the later iteration of the team were actually doing what Ock should be doing at this point. Turning himself in and joining that same group/program. But that seems more the logical conclusion once Ock figures out how to be a decent human being, if he ever truly does.

Quote Originally Posted by okpanic View Post
    The current Thunderbolts, now Dark Avengers, consists of Osborns latest Dark Avengers group, with Ai Apaec as a black suited Spider-Man, Skaar as Hulk, Barney Barton as Hawkeye, etc...
    Yeah I haven't read it. Last I saw Moonstone and Co were still time traveling or something.
    Bad news everyone...