Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    I have a BA in English with a minor in Philosophy and I'm nearly finished my MA in Creative Writing. I've also self-published a book, was a columnist, and am working on a novel. I have also taught writing, literature, and mythology on the high school and college levels.

Point: I know enough about good storytelling and writing to label what Slott/Wacker are doing with Spider-Man as something that doesn't fit in either of those two categories.

Do you have any other condescending assumptions to make or was that it?
    I was taking a jab at your screen name, not calling you a dimwit.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Resident Curmudgeon

I've read the issue (WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT, MIND YOU) and it's utter garbage.
    How utterly noble of you. Your hero Peter Parker would have been proud, if he were alive.
    Pull List
    Justice League, Action, Superman, Detective, Batman, Aquaman, Flash, GL, WW
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Superior Spider-Man, Thor, Uncanny X-Men

Veteran Member

How do you have time to post when you're so busy pissing on classic characters like Spider-Man? Granted, that doesn't take any mental effort or creativity, but I still thought you'd be too busy to talk to the "consumers" with all the pro-Marvel "interviews" you're taking part in over at MarvelNewsarama.com and here at MarvelComicBookResources.com.
    I know this is Loeb.

SW

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    I've lost some respect for you wacker. I usually enjoy your snarky banter in regards to the editing you do on all of your books. I find the way you handle yourself on the boards to be childish really. How about trying to be the better man here instead of adding more fire to the flames and pledge support for your book by replying in a decent way. Or is that a lesson you haven't learned from our recently deceased Mr. Parker? Being the better man?
    Quoted for truth!

SW

Resident Curmudgeon

How do you have time to post when you're so busy pissing on classic characters like Spider-Man? Granted, that doesn't take any mental effort or creativity, but I still thought you'd be too busy to talk to the "consumers" with all the pro-Marvel "interviews" you're taking part in over at MarvelNewsarama.com and here at MarvelComicBookResources.com.
    Jesus, man. Take a chill pill.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Superior Spider-Man, Thor, Uncanny X-Men

Out there, that a way Doctor Cosmic's Avatar

I've lost some respect for you wacker. I usually enjoy your snarky banter in regards to the editing you do on all of your books. I find the way you handle yourself on the boards to be childish really. How about trying to be the better man here instead of adding more fire to the flames and pledge support for your book by replying in a decent way. Or is that a lesson you haven't learned from our recently deceased Mr. Parker? Being the better man?
    To be honest, I agree with you. At the same time, I think you need to lower your expectations. Wacker has never handled himself in any way other than childishly on these (or any other) boards. He certainly won't stop now.

You see, it's a game to him (and the other goons in the Spider stable) to see fans riled up and upset. Wacker gets sadistic pleasure out of mocking people who don't just lap up the drivel he and Slott crap out like the "Marvel Zombies" who buy anything that's put out.

Wacker doesn't want to acknowledge anyone's criticisms of this storyline (or the other atrocious goings-on since "One More Day") even if they are legitimate.

This isn't a matter of taste or being willing to accept "change." It's change for the sake of change, sensationalistic storytelling that's resorted to by people who are creatively bankrupt.
    \S/
    1938-2013
    75 YEARS OF MAKING THE WORLD BELIEVE

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    Jesus, man. Take a chill pill.
    How DARE you! He's WORKING ON A NOVEL!

SW

Veteran Member

To be honest, I agree with you. At the same time, I think you need to lower your expectations. Wacker has never handled himself in any way other than childishly on these (or any other) boards. He certainly won't stop now.

You see, it's a game to him (and the other goons in the Spider stable) to see fans riled up and upset. Wacker gets sadistic pleasure out of mocking people who don't just lap up the drivel he and Slott crap out like the "Marvel Zombies" who buy anything that's put out.

Wacker doesn't want to acknowledge anyone's criticisms of this storyline (or the other atrocious goings-on since "One More Day") even if they are legitimate.

This isn't a matter of taste or being willing to accept "change." It's change for the sake of change, sensationalistic storytelling that's resorted to by people who are creatively bankrupt.
    I wouldn't STAND for this if I were you!

SW

Instead, Waid used these rare things in comics today, called characterization, respect for a character's legacy, and finding new stories to tell within the classic unities of a timeless character to create top-selling stories people want to read.

Marvel should have tossed Slott off Spider-Man just like they did with the other creators and their books. Waid could have kept DD and taken on ASM. Instead, we have more shitty stories being told with Spider-Man, who is now considered more of a target for pathetic stunt storytelling than Superman used to be. The big difference is that the worst Superman stunt storylines (Superman Blue, Dominus arc) didn't fundamentally change the character into an anemic version of itself. Superman was till Superman, though in stories and situations that he hadn't been in before.
    Hey, remember that time Mark Waid took over Fantastic Four and turned Dr. Doom into a sorcerer and permanently disfigured Mr. Fantastic and killed off the Thing and made the Fantastic Four go broke and break up?

Yeah, he never uses stunts. No way, no how.

(Mind you, Waid's run on Fantastic Four is one of my all time favorite comic book runs, but Waid's never been shy about using attention grabbing story ideas).

Alan Moore wrote some great Superman dialogue in "Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow?" Does that mean Moore would therefore be a good fit for a regular Superman title?

Absolutely not. The man can't tell stories with classic characters unless he's deconstructing them (Watchmen, Swamp Thing, the aforementioned WHTTMOT?) and it appears Dan Slott is in the same boat. The difference is that Alan Moore at least has some decent original ideas (V For Vendetta, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) that give him a pass.

Dan Slott's "writing" is a joke, along with Humberto Ramos' "art."
    I recommend that you read Supreme to figure if Moore could write Superman...

Anyway, good luck with your ill-conceived campaign.

Resident Curmudgeon

I have a BA in English with a minor in Philosophy and I'm nearly finished my MA in Creative Writing. I've also self-published a book, was a columnist, and am working on a novel. I have also taught writing, literature, and mythology on the high school and college levels.

Point: I know enough about good storytelling and writing to label what Slott/Wacker are doing with Spider-Man as something that doesn't fit in either of those two categories.

Do you have any other condescending assumptions to make or was that it?
    Your minor in Philosophy, which I also possess btw, should help you to realize how childish you are being with your ad hominem attacks. With your minor you should realize that such arguments are logical fallacies and serve no argumentative function. Also, another logical fallacy you commit is argument from authority, it does not matter to your argument how many accolades you claim.

You should know these things. These are Philosophy 101. The fact that you are committing such fallacies either tells me you didn't pay much attention to those courses or you never took them at all. If you had, you would not come armed with such fallacious arguments.
    Pull List

Out there, that a way Doctor Cosmic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    How utterly noble of you. Your hero Peter Parker would have been proud, if he were alive.
    Peter Parker isn't my "hero." I reserve that title for real people in my life or in society/history who have inspired me (Gandhi, Teresa of Calcutta, others in my personal life).

I didn't pay for the issue because my LCS let me read it without buying it. Nothing ignoble about that. As for saying it's "utter garbage," that's my opinion.

So what's your point, if you have one?
    \S/
    1938-2013
    75 YEARS OF MAKING THE WORLD BELIEVE

Slott and company get the benefit of a doubt from me. I like the story. I've liked about everything Slott has done. I'm glad they did something so random and original. People would have criticized if it went one way or another. But, I can say from my standpoint that I've really enjoyed this a lot. I'm pretty excited for Superior Spidey now.
    Today, I make no demands... no threats! But, one day, I shall voice demands -- and all shall obey them!

Resident Curmudgeon

Peter Parker isn't my "hero." I reserve that title for real people in my life or in society/history who have inspired me (Gandhi, Teresa of Calcutta, others in my personal life).

I didn't pay for the issue because my LCS let me read it without buying it. Nothing ignoble about that. As for saying it's "utter garbage," that's my opinion.

So what's your point, if you have one?
    Would Peter have done the same or would he have paid for the issue? I think he would have and we both know it.
    Pull List

I love how Wacker handles bullying posters and their ilk. He's the perfect editor to handle the type of bullying fans giving a bad name to Spidey fans that we see these days.
    Last edited by Leocomix; 12-27-2012 at 12:40 PM.