Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    Nice! We get a Mike LeRoi nod with Jaunty! But he's now a monkey instead of a snake. I wonder why the change.

I'm curious, now... is Nettie close by now that we're seeing Jaunty?
    Well Jaunty did say der was sum1 he/it was tking Jack 2 meet in order 2 save Alyssa.

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    You are absolutely right. Though American Voodoo (or Vodun) is also largely influenced by Christianity as African slaves in the New World had to give the appearance of Christian worship. Because of this, many Loa became associated with various Catholic Saints.

Of course if you think about it, the concept isn't that different. Loa and Saints are both protector spirits, most with specific realms they deal in, often given offerings for their protection. Both religions also believe in Resurection and drinking "blood", as well as letting in a "holy spirit" during religious ceremonies.

Sorry...I taught Caribbean Studies for 3 years and can't help myself sometimes...
    Gd points.

And of course d African slaves had 2 camouflage their religion in catholicism which is y it/Voodoo has survived dis long....similar 2 wat can b said abt African combat art in Capoeira camouflagd as dancing.

Reeeeeally luv dis buk already & sad it isnt twice a month.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    Hunter or bugsy or both, can you recommend me books to read on the subject (Voodoo and Caribbean history)?

I'm ill-informed on such things and would love to know more.
    I actually have three books on Vodou which I can't for the live of me find at the moment. I'm starting to wonder if my mom found them and threw them out (she's a big Christian with a lot of hate for the Vodou religion).
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Hunter or bugsy or both, can you recommend me books to read on the subject (Voodoo and Caribbean history)?

I'm ill-informed on such things and would love to know more.
    Unfortunately, there are not a ton of books on the subject...at least for non-fiction.

There is one called Secrets of Voodoo that takes an historical look, Voodoo in Haiti which focuses on the practice there, and Urban Voodoo which is a personal account of two guys getting involved in Afro-Caribbean religion.

If you want a general history of the Caribbean, try A Brief History of the Caribbean. It gives a nice concise history from the native people to modern day.

If you want any suggestions for more specific topics, lke the Rasta movement or Caribbean Pirates (a personal favorite), let me know and I can point you in the right direction.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

I actually have three books on Vodou which I can't for the live of me find at the moment. I'm starting to wonder if my mom found them and threw them out (she's a big Christian with a lot of hate for the Vodou religion).
    Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    Unfortunately, there are not a ton of books on the subject...at least for non-fiction.

There is one called Secrets of Voodoo that takes an historical look, Voodoo in Haiti which focuses on the practice there, and Urban Voodoo which is a personal account of two guys getting involved in Afro-Caribbean religion.

If you want a general history of the Caribbean, try A Brief History of the Caribbean. It gives a nice concise history from the native people to modern day.

If you want any suggestions for more specific topics, lke the Rasta movement or Caribbean Pirates (a personal favorite), let me know and I can point you in the right direction.
    Thank you! Thank you! Both of you (I know you'll find their books, Greg).

Once I start reading and get a grasp, then I'll start to ask you for the details and nuances.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Once I start reading and get a grasp, then I'll start to ask you for the details and nuances.
    My knowledge of it mostly comes from family and some good documentaries. I can't rmemeber the nmes of voodoo documentaries, but they might not be so hard to find out online. If you're looking for a nice pop-culture usage I found the representation of hoodoo magic in Skeleton Key to be quite good. They never really get anything wrong and the plot is somewhat modeled on the fairy tale Bluebeard, which is cool. You get to see some of the rituals play out. That's probably closer to the kind of stuff that would be at home in Shadowman, which is more focused on the magic than the religion.

Oh, and Grant Morrison's The Invisibles uses voodoo and loa a lot. Very, very well. It's a mindbendingly experience, that series.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

Look up the DVD for Angel Heart. There's a special feature documentary on Vodou which is a fantastic and engrossing watch. The movie by itself is a damn solid film, but that documentary is well worth buying the DVD.

You can get it for pretty cheap on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Angel-Special-.../dp/B0001US62I

Free Umbra!

Look up the DVD for Angel Heart. There's a special feature documentary on Vodou which is a fantastic and engrossing watch. The movie by itself is a damn solid film, but that documentary is well worth buying the DVD.

You can get it for pretty cheap on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Angel-Special-.../dp/B0001US62I
    I enjoyed Angel Heart even though it does the devil-worshipping thing I hate. Mostly because DeNiro was a great Lucifer. But it still bugs me...
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    I enjoyed Angel Heart even though it does the devil-worshipping thing I hate. Mostly because DeNiro was a great Lucifer. But it still bugs me...
    Yeah, I had my issues with it as I felt that they were using Vodou to tie into Devil worship. But from what I understand, it was more so the specific people involved who were using Vodou as a way of fighting the Devil. The film doesn't make it all that clear but when you really think about it, essentially that's what it comes down to although some of the characters were revealed to be devil worshipers. I do think it would have been a bit better if you had characters who were houngans than bokors. Like in Serpent and the Rainbow by Wes Craven. You had both the good guys and bad guys using Vodou.

Free Umbra!

Interesting. I look forward to it.
    My blog where I mostly do comic reviews

Vocatus atque non vocatus deus aderit

Pleasantly surprised with Shadowman, I never really got into the character back in VH1 but this interpretation and costume design works much better for me.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

As long as I get to see as much Darque and Mr. Twist as possible in issue #3 I'll be one happy comic book fan! I'm absolutely loving Mr. Twist as a villain, between him and Darque they make up my two favorite villains in all of comics and I'm basing that off of just two issues published so far (which is odd for me to do). It's been a long time since I've been head over heels for a villain in a comic book, I liked quite a few from Crossgen back in the day and some random DC villains here and there, but I've yet to form a bond with a villain since the days of Crossgen Comics and now I'm taking the plunge into Mr. Twist and Darque thanks to their story thus far and their awesome designs.

Feed me more, Valiant!

If you want any suggestions for more specific topics, lke the Rasta movement or Caribbean Pirates (a personal favorite), let me know and I can point you in the right direction.[/QUOTE]

Funny thing Bugsy, I'm actually a Rastafarian from the West Indies.
    @ Manga4life, Master Darque is like Skeletor(my favorite cartoon villain) done right.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Never read the original run but glad I started with #1 on the current title. The preview looks really good. I'm glad I've decided that I'm only going to be picking up independent titles for new books in the new year. I have hopes for Sex by Image in March and that it will be as good in it's own way as Shadowman is.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Earth 2, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF