Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Shadowman #3

Valiant is proud to present an advance preview of Shadowman #3 by acclaimed creators Justin Jordan (The Legacy of Luther Strode) and Patrick Zircher (Captain America, Hulk)! Shadowman's first clash with the minions of Master Darque is about to cross the border between worlds and spill into the terrifying way station between our reality and the next... Welcome to the uncanny dominion known as Deadside!

Trapped in the Deadside with no hope of rescue, Jack Boniface is on the run from the otherworldly horrors that dwell there. Meanwhile, his new friends and allies are at the mercy of Mr. Twist, whose plan to restore Master Darque is very nearly complete. But Jack is about to find help from some very strange and very unexpected sources... Could a light from Jack's past could still be shining in the depths of the Deadside's darkness?

Full preview here.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Nice! We get a Mike LeRoi nod with Jaunty! But he's now a monkey instead of a snake. I wonder why the change.

I'm curious, now... is Nettie close by now that we're seeing Jaunty?
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    Nice! We get a Mike LeRoi nod with Jaunty! But he's now a monkey instead of a snake. I wonder why the change.

I'm curious, now... is Nettie close by now that we're seeing Jaunty?
    A redesign for practical reasons I guess, I personally prefer this new look to the old one to be honest.

And good thinking on your second point. Jaunty told Jack that there's someone he got to meet, so it's in the realm of possibilities. Maybe Nettie will be the one to tell Jack more about his father and the legacy of Shadowman.

Also, I'm honestly loving most of the side characters so far. Especially Lionel Devereux, he's a cheeky guy lol.

Alyssa is starting to grow on me too.
    Last edited by Hancock89; 12-27-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Cool looking forward to this.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

my old sunday school teacher would slap me in the face for enjoying this book so much. it is, after all, about a guy who's been possessed by a demon.

can't wait.

Damn! this looks good!
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

Quote Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
    my old sunday school teacher would slap me in the face for enjoying this book so much. it is, after all, about a guy who's been possessed by a demon.

can't wait.
    Loa are certainly NOT demons, but they'd probably still be unhappy with the concept. Loa are gods organized by families of characteristics and lineage. They generally enact their will through individuals who channel them or let the Loa "ride" them, which can be hazardous to the vehicle but isn't generally a forced possession. In this fictional case the Shadowman Loa appears to have attached itself to a lineage, which is also not unheard of.

The point of which to say is: Loa are not demons, Voodoo is not demon worship and that whole narrative is a construction of white Christianity meant to discredit Africanized (with Native American influenced) versions of their religion as barbarism. Which I may be going on a rant about, but I have a pet peeve about that.

Anyway... I'm looking forward to this and steadfastly refuse to read this preview! I'd hate to spoil the deliciousness of the art.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    Loa are certainly NOT demons, but they'd probably still be unhappy with the concept. Loa are gods organized by families of characteristics and lineage. They generally enact their will through individuals who channel them or let the Loa "ride" them, which can be hazardous to the vehicle but isn't generally a forced possession. In this fictional case the Shadowman Loa appears to have attached itself to a lineage, which is also not unheard of.

The point of which to say is: Loa are not demons, Voodoo is not demon worship and that whole narrative is a construction of white Christianity meant to discredit Africanized (with Native American influenced) versions of their religion as barbarism. Which I may be going on a rant about, but I have a pet peeve about that.

Anyway... I'm looking forward to this and steadfastly refuse to read this preview! I'd hate to spoil the deliciousness of the art.
    You are absolutely right. Though American Voodoo (or Vodun) is also largely influenced by Christianity as African slaves in the New World had to give the appearance of Christian worship. Because of this, many Loa became associated with various Catholic Saints.

Of course if you think about it, the concept isn't that different. Loa and Saints are both protector spirits, most with specific realms they deal in, often given offerings for their protection. Both religions also believe in Resurection and drinking "blood", as well as letting in a "holy spirit" during religious ceremonies.

Sorry...I taught Caribbean Studies for 3 years and can't help myself sometimes...
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

Great looking preview, I'm looking forward to picking this up and continuing this awesome series!

A great reason to look forward to 2013 already!!
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post

Nothing to be sorry about. I'm a huge Brother/Doctor Voodoo fan and I recall my annoyance of many people claiming that Vodou was dark magick and it didn't make sense for Voodoo to become Sorcerer Supreme when Strange lost it for using dark magick. So much of the religion is trashed and seen as something to be ashamed of when simply put, the religion was put down as a means of gaining power over Africans/blacks. Religion and belief is a powerful thing. How do you gain power over a large people who had huge love in their faith? Physically and mentally beat them in feeling that their religion and everything they believed in is nothing but evil and devil worship with in turn makes them feel inferior and hateful to their own culture.
    Last edited by Greg Anderson; 12-28-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Free Umbra!

Quote Originally Posted by Hancock89 View Post
    A redesign for practical reasons I guess, I personally prefer this new look to the old one to be honest.
    I think I partial to the old design given how important the snake is to the Vodou religion, but I won't lie, I do like this new design a lot.

Free Umbra!

Nothing to be sorry about. I'm a huge Brother/Doctor Voodoo fan and I recall my annoyance of many people claiming that Vodou was dark magick and it didn't make sense for Voodoo to become Sorcerer Supreme when Strange lost it for using dark magick. So much of the religion is trashed and seen as something to be ashamed of when simply put, the religion was put down as a means of gaining power over Africans/blacks. Religion and belief is a powerful thing. How do you gain power over a large people who had huge love in their faith? Physically and mentally beat them in feeling that their religion and everything they believed in is nothing but evil and devil worship with in term makes them feel inferior and hateful to their own culture.
    Amen! Brother.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    You are absolutely right. Though American Voodoo (or Vodun) is also largely influenced by Christianity as African slaves in the New World had to give the appearance of Christian worship. Because of this, many Loa became associated with various Catholic Saints.

Of course if you think about it, the concept isn't that different. Loa and Saints are both protector spirits, most with specific realms they deal in, often given offerings for their protection. Both religions also believe in Resurection and drinking "blood", as well as letting in a "holy spirit" during religious ceremonies.

Sorry...I taught Caribbean Studies for 3 years and can't help myself sometimes...
    That would be a great class to take! My family business is the first creole (though we also do Mexican and Caribbean food) restaurant on my continent and I've always been fascinated by everything connected to that. Plus, my grandma does hoodoo, so there's that. Which is distinct from Voudoun for being basically just magic as opposed to religion, but anyway. (I did refer to Voudoun as an Africinaized form of Christianity, but it could be plausibly argued that was all coding on the worshipper's behalf to keep their faith secret.)

Nothing to be sorry about. I'm a huge Brother/Doctor Voodoo fan and I recall my annoyance of many people claiming that Vodou was dark magick and it didn't make sense for Voodoo to become Sorcerer Supreme when Strange lost it for using dark magick. So much of the religion is trashed and seen as something to be ashamed of when simply put, the religion was put down as a means of gaining power over Africans/blacks. Religion and belief is a powerful thing. How do you gain power over a large people who had huge love in their faith? Physically and mentally beat them in feeling that their religion and everything they believed in is nothing but evil and devil worship with in turn makes them feel inferior and hateful to their own culture.
    Consigned! It's tremendously disempowering and just not as interesting to read, too. I liked that he was Sorcerer Supreme, but it was a huge mess in the end... they just didn't give it a chance, really.

I'm quite impressed that the readers of Shadowman here are knowledgable about their hoodoo and Voodoo! This is probably a good sign. Now, if Justin Jordan could weigh in...
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Hunter or bugsy or both, can you recommend me books to read on the subject (Voodoo and Caribbean history)?

I'm ill-informed on such things and would love to know more.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!