Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

i will test it .Looks good in some way
    In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No evil shall escape my sight
    Let those who worship evil's might,
    Beware my power... Green Lantern's light

I really didn't like this.

At all.

Mundane, lacking character, heavy handed, stiff and lifeless artwork, horrible 'twist', and very much 'tell' rather than 'show'.

Blech.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Wow. I dunno, I really liked the art, thought the main character was pretty interesting, and the ending (not a twist, he threw it out in his interviews) was cool because there's lot of room in the mini to explore the fallout.

I wasn't left with my heart racing, drooling for the next issue like when I read Saga #1 but then Walking Dead #1 didn't do that for me either - some things are "growers", so I'm at least gonna give it a few issues to get going. I know the ending was a bit of an obvious cliff-hanger to get issue 2 but at least it shows things are going to get interesting :)

I really enjoy Wood's Conan, but his voice in The Massive and now Mara is just too over the top for me. He just lays it on too thick for my tastes.

I read it a few moments ago.

I won't say I enjoyed it, but I did like it. The art's fairly nice, pretty typical for a lot of recent Image titles I suppose, and the characters seem interesting, but I think it's going to be a long-burning title. I think it's going to take a couple of issues to get going before it really hits its stride.

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    I read it a few moments ago.

I won't say I enjoyed it, but I did like it. The art's fairly nice, pretty typical for a lot of recent Image titles I suppose, and the characters seem interesting, but I think it's going to be a long-burning title. I think it's going to take a couple of issues to get going before it really hits its stride.
    Gonna be a six issue mini.

Oh, of course. Silly me for forgetting. I still think it'll be an issue or two before it really does something great, then.

It was decent to me. Great art, weird story. Haven't read anything similar

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

I found this very disappointing. As MDV wrote, "I've never read a mainstream book with so many grammar and spelling errors. Does Image not have an editor?" And as Desaad said, "Mundane, lacking character, heavy handed...and very much 'tell' rather than 'show'." Sure, I'm glad to see a (light-skinned) lesbian woman of color featured in a comic book, but that alone is its only redeeming feature to me; anything that goes into making a first issue sing was, sadly, lacking for me.
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    lesbian woman of color featured in a comic book, but that alone is its only redeeming feature to me;
    Except Mara's sexuality was not commented on with even a single word. We don't know her sexuality, and thusly we shouldn't make such solid claims about it. That's based on what was within the issue, whether Brian Wood has said otherwise is not known to me.

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

Yes, you're right-- I was basing my response to the page where Mara and her roommate, Ingrid (who's been there long, or often, enough to think of the place as her own, when Mara describes it as hers (mara's), share what seems to be an intimate conversation concluded with what seems to me to be a kiss... ("Be back later, Superstar.")
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

That did happen, yes, but it's still not stated what (if anything) Mara's sexuality is, nor her relationship with Ingrid. And maybe it never will be.