Default JIM without reading Thor?

Hey guys. I haven't read any JIM before Now! and I was wondering if I should jump in. I'm rather new, and Thor hasn't caught me really. I just don't like the art style to be honest. Is JIM worth reading without reading Thor? The art looks incredible and I've heard good things. But I assume all the good I've heard is from experienced readers.

Try it pal, i was in the same boat but I love mythology, I didn't like JIM but you might love it, give it a try.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Lawn-mowing Enthusiast EuphemismForSex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jae View Post
    I just don't like the art style to be honest.
    Hwhaaaaaaaaa???

As to the rest of your post, their storylines don't currently mix. So yeah.
    Bad news everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by EuphemismForSex View Post
    Hwhaaaaaaaaa???

As to the rest of your post, their storylines don't currently mix. So yeah.
    The arts brilliant! I agree with that (:
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

JiM is fine to jump into without reading Thor. Just be aware Loki is a kid in JiM.

Hey guys. I haven't read any JIM before Now! and I was wondering if I should jump in. I'm rather new, and Thor hasn't caught me really. I just don't like the art style to be honest. Is JIM worth reading without reading Thor? The art looks incredible and I've heard good things. But I assume all the good I've heard is from experienced readers.
    I never read JIM or Thor before Marvel Now so I was in the same boat you are in. JIM is completely stand alone, you don't have to know anything to read it.The same is actually true with Thor, you can jump into that knowing next to nothing as well. I'm kind of shocked you don't like the art, it's one of my favorite things about that book but to each ones own I guess. I'm actually enjoying Thor a lot more, I'd recommend it if you are willing to give it a try.

I really like the art in Thor, it's quite an eye opener.

BANNED

I just don't like the art style to be honest.
    Are you high?

Just wondering.

First two issues of the title after Marvel Now, have been pretty separate so their is no need to have read a lot of Thor other then knowing a few of his supporting case as it focuses on Sif, Thor's female best friend/part time love interest and features a few other members of Thor's friends. But aside from knowing that and the current status that has Asgard(ia) basically next door to a Midwestern town, JiM in Marvel Now should be accessible for a non Thor reader.

I recommend it, especially if you like mythology.

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkestKnight View Post
    Are you high?

Just wondering.
    Jae's seems to be talking about Thor: God of Thunder and I get that Ribic's style isn't for everyone.

Depends. I'm not sure about the Marvel NOW! JiM, but the previous Gillen run just has a little bit of required (or even just recommended) reading in terms of the events that lead to Kid Loki.

Otherwise, Thor isn't required where a wiki can provide quick reference.

Thor and JiM are both stand alone stories for now, so it's perfectly cool to check it out. JiM features nice art and a fun, mythological influenced story.

Hi Jae,

I'm not liking Thor either including the art style.

I am liking JiM more than I thought I would (Didn't like the first issue, but thought this 2nd one more than made up for it.) The art is beautiful and the characterizations are a lot of fun. You really don't have to know or read Thor to enjoy it, as the creative team explains who the Asgardians are in the storyline.
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

Oh read both in the event of a crossover.

You looking at jumping on board Immonen's JIM or going back to read Gillen's?
    Or both?

Gillen's Kid Loki yarn can be read as a self-contained piece, but can also benefit from the context of Fraction's concurrent Thor run in places.

Whereas Immonen's current Sif-centric JIM and Jason Aaron's current Thor are completely distinct.
    Last edited by PupsOfWar; 12-27-2012 at 11:13 PM.

I am reading Gillen's JIM in trade (before going into Immomen's Sif run that looks good 2 issues in from what I have heard and I can assure you you really *don't* need to read Thor to understand what is happening so your fine to just jump in.

Cheers.

James.
    Any Dream worth Having Is A Dream worth Fighting For.