Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

Default The cure in The Walking Dead?

Will Rick Grimes ever find a cure in The Walking Dead or ever find out what happened to the rest of the world?They can't cure the dead but the cure can stop people from turning into zombies after they die.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    Will Rick Grimes ever find a cure in The Walking Dead or ever find out what happened to the rest of the world?They can't cure the dead but the cure can stop people from turning into zombies after they die.
    Kirkman's gone on record saying the whys and hows of the Zombie apoc are not intergral to the story he is telling, and will probably never reveal them. Which is good, because most zombie explanations are pretty dumb. Just roll with it.
    Last edited by The Adventurer; 12-26-2012 at 11:33 PM.

BANNED

it'd really take the story down many notches for me if they answered that question. I can suspend my disbelief for zombies... until you start trying to explain them.

I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

I think we can at least deduce what's going on the rest of the world or it started

I think the coming of zombies started at the same time and they infected other people.This caught the world off guard and no country is able to send aid.Everybody has to fend for themselves like Rick's Group.

This is one of the things that make the series poor.
    BB

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

If... if Kirkman explains how it all started, I think he has what it takes to make what started the whole thing interesting, He could go the 12 Monkey route and it could be a chemical weapon that was released in an airport or wherever intentionally, or he could go the Crazies route and it could have been an accident. I know the Crazies isn't a zombie story, I'm just using it as an example of the military goofing up with a biological weapon.

However, even though I think he could make how it happened interesting, I don't see the need for explaining any of that right now.

The cure will magically appear when the series declines in popularity

Getting the story about what happened and why isn't very important IMO. I think it is similar to Savage Dragon. The original plan, as far as I remember, was not to reveal Dragon's origin. Knowing his origin, after it was revealed many years later, isn't important to enjoy the stories, it just allows for the stories to go in another direction. I think it is the same with the Walking Dead. New stories and new possibilities, but in the end I don't think it matters. Having said that, I'd really like to know what happened. I'm quite sure Kirkman can come up with an explanation that actually works.

A cure, on the other hand, would be silly IMO. It would be like reading something from Marvel. I would be very surprised to see something like that in the series. Depending on the origin, some sort of vaccine/protection might make sense. I just don't think we'll see one.
    Michael Pilgaard, fanboy at large
    WeirdSpace, a Multiverse Who's Who, since 2003
    American Comic Books, an index

I notice several hypothesises of a virus outbreak explanation here, personally I'd prefer them to go a more spooky supernatural unexplainable route, if Kirkman even feels a need to imply anything. Just a subtle nod that science can't explain it would be pretty cool. But personally, I don't need a reason. Like Night of the Living Dead.
    DROKK IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    I notice several hypothesises of a virus outbreak explanation here, personally I'd prefer them to go a more spooky supernatural unexplainable route, if Kirkman even feels a need to imply anything. Just a subtle nod that science can't explain it would be pretty cool. But personally, I don't need a reason. Like Night of the Living Dead.
    When hell is full, the dead will rise. Or however it goes.

As it stands the only rule that's pretty clear cut is that everyone who dies, regardless of circumstance will rise unless the brain is destroyed. Zombie bite, or no. So that either means everyone is already infected with a zombie virus, or its a supernatural phenomena. Frankly I don't care which, because it doesn't matter either way to the story being presented.

I don't care now but if in the future he goes the supernatural route, I'll be a little let down. As much as I like those earlier zombie flicks like Dawn of the Dead, where they just assumed hell was full, its a nostalgic thing since I watched them as a kid. These days, while I do like supernatural horror stuff still, I prefer the "outbreak" being related to a scientific oopsie or what have you. When done right, it serves as a metaphor for all the stupid shit our species does to the planet and one another. And while a lot of people ripped on The Happening, I liked how Shyamalan made it seem like mother nature was striking back after being abused for eons. It isn't as kiddie like as hell unleashing demonic trees.

I think TWD does better with the mainstream for the same reason 28 Days did better than earlier zombie films, it doesn't require a heavy heaping of suspension of disbelief.
    Last edited by Anthony Devianza; 12-27-2012 at 06:30 PM.

I am not sure what the cure will be but it will be delivered in a Hyundai of some sort.

If so, I hope its delivered in their new coupe.

It makes everything Honda has out there right now look like ass.

If the series was to end, wouldn't there be some cure? I mean I got into the comic because of the TV show.. I've only read a few issues but Kirkman must have an endgame of sorts..

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    If the series was to end, wouldn't there be some cure? I mean I got into the comic because of the TV show.. I've only read a few issues but Kirkman must have an endgame of sorts..
    I doubt it. Walking Dead isn't intended to ever end. He treats it as an infinite ongoing series and makes it up as he goes along.