Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 55
  1. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atlasjj View Post
    I believe he is saying what he would do if he were to reboot the Universe not that it happened.

    I myself currently like how the Universe stands, so I would keep it as is.
    Ah, how silly of me.
    Last edited by DevilMayhem666; 12-27-2012 at 06:50 PM.

  2. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,064

    Default

    Probably just can all the titles except Spidey, they never really worked anyways. They just road off the succes of usm.

  3. #18
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,854

    Default

    I would hate it if the UU got rebooted. Do posters on here actually want that? Personally, I would rather just have Ultimates 3, Ultimatum, New Ultimates, and all of Humphries' Ultimates run (and maybe a couple other stories) re-written. I think if after all this time, you actually want the UU rebooted, then the UU clearly isn't for you and I would recommend you read something else. I think there have been a lot of great stories in the UU, especially after Ultimatum, and would hate to see so much of it wasted.

    My question is, what is wrong with the UU that can't be rectified now?

  4. #19
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kymeric View Post
    Probably just can all the titles except Spidey, they never really worked anyways. They just road off the succes of usm.
    Why don't you cancel the Ultimate Universe while you are at it.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  5. #20
    1906 Xistel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    I would hate it if the UU got rebooted. Do posters on here actually want that? Personally, I would rather just have Ultimates 3, Ultimatum, New Ultimates, and all of Humphries' Ultimates run (and maybe a couple other stories) re-written. I think if after all this time, you actually want the UU rebooted, then the UU clearly isn't for you and I would recommend you read something else. I think there have been a lot of great stories in the UU, especially after Ultimatum, and would hate to see so much of it wasted.

    My question is, what is wrong with the UU that can't be rectified now?
    Most of us are only recommending a reshuffle the history (like you suggest). Re-write or delete some things, etc.
    Facebook page dedicated to short films! - https://www.facebook.com/shortstuffmovies

  6. #21
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    I would hate it if the UU got rebooted. Do posters on here actually want that? Personally, I would rather just have Ultimates 3, Ultimatum, New Ultimates, and all of Humphries' Ultimates run (and maybe a couple other stories) re-written. I think if after all this time, you actually want the UU rebooted, then the UU clearly isn't for you and I would recommend you read something else. I think there have been a lot of great stories in the UU, especially after Ultimatum, and would hate to see so much of it wasted.

    My question is, what is wrong with the UU that can't be rectified now?
    Didn't it ever occur to you that the thread starter probably did this just for fun instead of just using it as a way to bash the Ultimate Universe?
    Last edited by Legato; 12-28-2012 at 12:51 PM.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  7. #22
    1906 Xistel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Didn't it ever occur to you that the thread starter probably did this just for fun instead of just using it as a way to bash the Ultimate Universe?
    Actually I created this to see what cool ideas people could come up with. Lighten up.
    Facebook page dedicated to short films! - https://www.facebook.com/shortstuffmovies

  8. #23
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Why don't you cancel the Ultimate Universe while you are at it.
    Because he likes Ultimate Spider-Man.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xistel View Post
    Most of us are only recommending a reshuffle the history (like you suggest). Re-write or delete some things, etc.
    Yeah. Personally I think it'd be a waste if we got rid of so much. The problem I've mostly had with the Loeb and Humphries is mostly to do with how they wrote rather than what they wrote. It's like Marvel have started hiring children to write their stories for them. It seems rather flippant of the Marvel editors to hire "writers" who clearly have no literary talent. I think it's darn right criminal how they so carelessly manage thier story's/universe' presentation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Didn't it ever occur to you that the thread starter probably did this just for fun instead of just using it as a way to bash the Ultimate Universe?
    What makes you think I thought that?! You seem to think I was spitting venom, but I wasn't. I'm just not that emotional.

    You're assuming things. Please can I ask that you read my questions more accurately in future? They were actual questions, not rhetorical ones.

    All opinions, whether they're pessimistic, optimistic or sceptical, are all welcomed on this forum.. within reason of course. But I guess, not by you. Bash? Heh. That sounds like a terminology made for those who want to complain about complaining. Does that not seem hypocritical to you? :D

  9. #24
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    Because he likes Ultimate Spider-Man.
    All fine and dandy but there are people who like Ultimates, Ultimate X-Men, and other Ultimate Comics. Also before Ultimatum the Ultimates were also one of the most highly praised Ultimate Comics within the Ultimate Universe, same as Ultimate X-Men which also was getting a good buzz. That and Ultimate Spider-Man never started the Ultimate Universe, so going by the logic of the poster that comic was riding off of the success of Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men. Still the point is despite a person's like of one Ultimate Title it would be ridiculous to cancel the rest of the titles since those have a good fanbase aswell
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  10. #25
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    All fine and dandy but there are people who like Ultimates, Ultimate X-Men, and other Ultimate Comics. Also before Ultimatum the Ultimates were also one of the most highly praised Ultimate Comics within the Ultimate Universe, same as Ultimate X-Men which also was getting a good buzz. That and Ultimate Spider-Man never started the Ultimate Universe, so going by the logic of the poster that comic was riding off of the success of Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men. Still the point is despite a person's like of one Ultimate Title it would be ridiculous to cancel the rest of the titles since those have a good fanbase aswell
    I'm not sure what "riding off" means.

    It's his personal opinion that he would rather have UC: Spider-Man continue without any of the other titles. I agree that it would be ridiculous if Marvel canceled those titles, because IMO I think those books have been really good in the past, and objectively it wouldn't make any financial sense for Marvel to cancel them, seeing as (like you said) they have a pretty large fan base. I actually think that if there was ANY sort of reboot, the line would lose a LOT of fans, including myself. But his post was simply wishful thinking, similarly to almost every post here.

    The way I see it is; he expressed negativity towards titles you like, and you didn't like that.

  11. #26
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    I'm not sure what "riding off" means.

    It's his personal opinion that he would rather have UC: Spider-Man continue without any of the other titles. I agree that it would be ridiculous if Marvel canceled those titles, because IMO I think those books have been really good in the past, and objectively it wouldn't make any financial sense for Marvel to cancel them, seeing as (like you said) they have a pretty large fan base. I actually think that if there was ANY sort of reboot, the line would lose a LOT of fans, including myself. But his post was simply wishful thinking, similarly to almost every post here.

    The way I see it is; he expressed negativity towards titles you like, and you didn't like that.
    No I was just making a counter argument in that cancelling all the titles for the sake of one would be a bad business move. I even outright said that if he's a fan of Ultimate Spider-Man then it's ok. I wasn't trying to start any argument, which from the tone of your post you seem to be doing with me. Also what I said concerning his post is no different than your comment to the other posters" If you don't like Ultimate Universe then stop reading it". So how about we take a deep breath and just continue the discussion in a more civilized manner. If you don't like the discussion then you are free to excuse yourself from it. If you like to continue then that's cool to, just don't try to take away what is a enjoyable discussion between posters.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  12. #27
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    No I was just making a counter argument in that cancelling all the titles for the sake of one would be a bad business move. I even outright said that if he's a fan of Ultimate Spider-Man then it's ok. I wasn't trying to start any argument, which from the tone of your post you seem to be doing with me. Also what I said concerning his post is no different than your comment to the other posters" If you don't like Ultimate Universe then stop reading it". So how about we take a deep breath and just continue the discussion in a more civilized manner. If you don't like the discussion then you are free to excuse yourself from it. If you like to continue then that's cool to, just don't try to take away what is a enjoyable discussion between posters.
    You've completely misinterpreted my stance. I DO honestly think that if you want the UU rebooted now, then the line probably isn't for you and you should perhaps look into reading something more your taste. But I wasn't saying that out of spite. I didn't say "then stop reading it" which is a more aggressive way of putting it, like I was hateful in some way. You think I said that. But what you've quoted with quote marks is an entirely different approach to the one I had. You actually assumed I was getting emotional about the topic at hand, which is a massive misinterpretation. This is why I ask you to read through my post accurately in future and not assume anything from it. Read what I said again. I have been nothing but civil, I can assure you. Everyone here has seemed to have gotten along just fine.

  13. #28
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    You've completely misinterpreted my stance. I DO honestly think that if you want the UU rebooted now, then the line probably isn't for you and you should perhaps look into reading something more your taste. But I wasn't saying that out of spite. I didn't say "then stop reading it" which is a more aggressive way of putting it, like I was hateful in some way. You think I said that. But what you've quoted with quote marks is an entirely different approach to the one I had. You actually assumed I was getting emotional about the topic at hand, which is a massive misinterpretation. This is why I ask you to read through my post accurately in future and not assume anything from it. Read what I said again. I have been nothing but civil, I can assure you. Everyone here has seemed to have gotten along just fine.
    I think we can both agree that whatever was said was misinterpreted but neither of us meant any malice behind it so what do you say we wipe the slate clean?

    To get things started I think Ultmatum could be kept. I mentioned in one thread that it had some interesting ideas but the execution of said interesting ideas fell flat, really flat. There were some good that came out of if though. So I think the better question would be how would you change Ultimatum for the better?

    For starters I think the killing of Scarlet Witch would have made a interesting mystery story but around that time she was already unlikable to the point that I couldn't care less about her death, same as with Wasp. TBH I hated how the character was killed more than the character actually dying. I would have taken the time to develop Wanda and Janet into a better character like they did with Hank before killing either off. I would end the incest angle between Wanda and Pietro and have Wanda move on with someone else. Perhaps do a nice character arc involving Wanda earning the Ultimates respect before killing her off. As far as the Who Killed The Scarlet Witch story arc have someone within the Ultimates investigate it, maybe do a crossover that involved an X-Men character in the event it's a mutant/human issue.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  14. #29
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I think we can both agree that whatever was said was misinterpreted but neither of us meant any malice behind it so what do you say we wipe the slate clean?
    That's sound. I agree we both could have chosen our words better. We'll chalk it up to bad communication. :)

    To get things started I think Ultmatum could be kept. I mentioned in one thread that it had some interesting ideas but the execution of said interesting ideas fell flat, really flat. There were some good that came out of if though. So I think the better question would be how would you change Ultimatum for the better?
    I didn't like that Dr Doom and Daredevil got killed off. I don't mind Wolverine dying because I think it would be cool if he came back via regeneration, with his memory completely wiped.. and I am still hoping that will happen one day. But Doom and DD's deaths I didn't like. However, if Ultimatum were actually to be re-written, changing the storyline would retcon certain events of post-Ultimatum and would disrupt continuity. Instead I would just have it re-written with most of the deaths being portrayed differently. Everything would be kept, but just written very differently so that it can be told much more professionally. It would have to be a fair bit longer too. Also, Jan Pym, my favourite Ultimate gal got ridiculed and Loebotomized in such a distasteful manner it disgusted me. That scene would have to be re-written quite drastically I think. I would love to see Ultimatum re-written. I think it would be great.

    For starters I think the killing of Scarlet Witch would have made a interesting mystery story but around that time she was already unlikable to the point that I couldn't care less about her death, same as with Wasp. TBH I hated how the character was killed more than the character actually dying. I would have taken the time to develop Wanda and Janet into a better character like they did with Hank before killing either off. I would end the incest angle between Wanda and Pietro and have Wanda move on with someone else. Perhaps do a nice character arc involving Wanda earning the Ultimates respect before killing her off. As far as the Who Killed The Scarlet Witch story arc have someone within the Ultimates investigate it, maybe do a crossover that involved an X-Men character in the event it's a mutant/human issue.
    Yeah, I thought The Ultimates 3 #1 at the time was really good and had heaps of potential to be a good read. The less said about #2, #3, #4 and #5 the better. I think the majority of Ultimates 3 could be completely changed and it would still fit right with continuity. I never really had too much of a problem with the incest because the only time I actually thought "OMG" was the same issue she got killed off in. So I think that worked out rather nicely actually. I agree with you that I never really cared for the character and I'm glad she got killed off for what seems on paper, a really good set up for Ultimatum and other future events. Now thinking about it, I wouldn't change a single thing about The Ultimates 3 #1. It was a really good issue.
    Last edited by Robbie_Jee; 12-28-2012 at 06:12 PM.

  15. #30
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    That's sound. I agree we both could have chosen our words better. We'll chalk it up to bad communication. :)


    I didn't like that Dr Doom and Daredevil got killed off. I don't mind Wolverine dying because I think it would be cool if he came back via regeneration, with his memory completely wiped.. and I am still hoping that will happen one day. But Doom and DD's deaths I didn't like. However, if Ultimatum were actually to be re-written, changing the storyline would retcon certain events of post-Ultimatum and would disrupt continuity. Instead I would just have it re-written with most of the deaths being portrayed differently. Everything would be kept, but just written very differently so that it can be told much more professionally. It would have to be a fair bit longer too. Also, Jan Pym, my favourite Ultimate gal got ridiculed and Loebotomized in such a distasteful manner it disgusted me. That scene would have to be re-written quite drastically I think. I would love to see Ultimatum re-written. I think it would be great.


    Yeah, I thought The Ultimates 3 #1 at the time was really good and had heaps of potential to be a good read. The less said about #2, #3, #4 and #5 the better. I think the majority of Ultimates 3 could be completely changed and it would still fit right with continuity. I never really had too much of a problem with the incest because the only time I actually thought "OMG" was the same issue she got killed off in. So I think that worked out rather nicely actually. I agree with you that I never really cared for the character and I'm glad she got killed off for what seems on paper, a really good set up for Ultimatum and other future events. Now thinking about it, I wouldn't change a single thing about The Ultimates 3 #1. It was a really good issue.
    While Loeb had a role in Jan's derailment I also felt that it started long before he came along. For instance in Ultimates 2 she grew into an unlikable character for me when she went back to the same guy who repeatedly abused her and brought destruction to America all while cheating behind Captain America's back. The same Captain America who treated her more decent than Hank did at the time. So when she died I wasn't really that upset over it because she grew so unlikable that I just never cared one way or the other. I cared more about how they destroyed Blob's character tbh.

    Now with Wanda I'd say unlikable is strong word. I'd more say bland. She's only known as the woman who screwed her brother, that's it. She had no interesting personality that separates her from that. Now they had potential when she started to show attraction to Cyclops and I would have liked that explored a little more. Maybe a character arc that has her distancing herself from The Brotherhood completely while she would earn the respect of the other Ultimates. At the same time maybe develop her relationship with Cyclops.

    Now if theres something I never liked in Ultimates in general its how Carol Danvers was treated. It read like one giant f**k you towards women in position of power. Way worse when Loeb wrote her. They made it like almost every character didn't want anything to do with her.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •