Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think people are just trying to find something to nitpick about at this point. I highly doubt Clark had an entire outfit laid out for Diana before they ever tried the dating thing. I doubt he bought the clothes since she does have somewhat of a wardrobe, she just doesnt hide who she is when she wears other clothes, and they probably picked out the glasses together or he tried to be sweet and got them for her if she wanted them. She flies now in her own book, and she has gone from normal clothes to WW before since she wears it under her clothes and uses her tiara and bracelets as accessories. Is transofrming into her outfit via lasso a bit corny? yeah it is, but right now it is a one time thing which she couldve done before since we were not introduced to her as a new hero and there are 5 years that we dont know about. And it just shows that her magic lasso can used for things other than just making others tell the truth, it revealed who she really was underneith her disguise.

I am just glad that they are treating this new relationship with some respect and not making it so one sided or downgrading WW for it.
    It is One-sided really Because its Incredibly one-sided Relationship so Far. Clark is trying to make it work and Diana just shows up at the Moment. I Just want to see her show a little bit of Agency about the whole thing.

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Clark teaches Diana about secret identities.

Clark teaches Diana how secret identities work.

Clark takes point on how to deal with the disaster. Fair enough, he has more powers suited for this scenario. Not sure of the wisdom of superheating water people are drowning in though.

Meanwhile...

"This actually works! I should tell my twin sister in London!"
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

Clark takes point on how to deal with the disaster. Fair enough, he has more powers suited for this scenario. Not sure of the wisdom of superheating water people are drowning in though.

Meanwhile...

Again, the suspension of belief is amazing. We have one of the most beautiful women in the world, wearing a killer dress, about 6 feet tall and no one really notices? I love how they are trying to make us believe this could work. Not in this paparazzi world we live in.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    Again, the suspension of belief is amazing. We have one of the most beautiful women in the world, wearing a killer dress, about 6 feet tall and no one really notices? I love how they are trying to make us believe this could work. Not in this paparazzi world we live in.
    Yay--a point on which I kind of agree with wag! Clark's explanation sounds a little plausible until you think about it and realize that we don't live in the 1800's. It may be that most people haven't seen the superheroes up close, but if a few photographers have been able to zoom in on their faces, then those faces are going to be all over the place--as we know that they are, based, for example, on the TMZ coverage in recent issues. Kids probably have big posters of their favorite League members in their rooms, but they don't recognize them when they're wearing glasses. I don't mind--it's a time-honored convention, like convincing cross-dressing and disguise in Shakespeare--but I kind of prefer believing that Diana can pretty much openly go to a club in London and be recognized but not be pestered, because we like and respect and appreciate her. This probably requires even more suspension of disbelief--the London paparazzi leaving an internationally beloved Princess Diana alone out of respect?--but it's a somewhat fresher and somehow more elevating scenario. Wonder Woman is so wonderful that even the paparazzi respect her privacy! That's pretty wonderful.

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Yay--a point on which I kind of agree with wag! Clark's explanation sounds a little plausible until you think about it and realize that we don't live in the 1800's. It may be that most people haven't seen the superheroes up close, but if a few photographers have been able to zoom in on their faces, then those faces are going to be all over the place--as we know that they are, based, for example, on the TMZ coverage in recent issues. Kids probably have big posters of their favorite League members in their rooms, but they don't recognize them when they're wearing glasses. I don't mind--it's a time-honored convention, like convincing cross-dressing and disguise in Shakespeare--but I kind of prefer believing that Diana can pretty much openly go to a club in London and be recognized but not be pestered, because we like and respect and appreciate her. This probably requires even more suspension of disbelief--the London paparazzi leaving an internationally beloved Princess Diana alone out of respect?--but it's a somewhat fresher and somehow more elevating scenario. Wonder Woman is so wonderful that even the paparazzi respect her privacy! That's pretty wonderful.
    So what you are saying is, Superman is better at something than Wonder Woman?

As for the respecting her - no, that would not work. For the very reason that Santa Clause lives at the arse end of no-where. People would be asking for his help with stuff 24/7.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

Gone

I usually look toward politicians and celebrities for these scenarios.
    How do the public at large react when they see Brad Pitt at the gas station or the groceries store?
    Some will make a big deal about it, asking for autographs and taking pictures, others will just smile.

Veteran Member

So what you are saying is, Superman is better at something than Wonder Woman?
    I was about to say "perish the thought"--but, on second thought, I imagine he is better at being a bespectacled Kansas farm boy and mild-mannered reporter than she is. She's better at being an Amazon princess than he is--but that's not as useful in maintaining a secret ID.

But really, I think maintaining a secret ID is implausible for any famous superhero. With Superman, we're probably going to have to continue suspending disbelief about it, because Clark Kent isn't going anywhere. But Diana Prince has been less of a constant presence in Wonder Woman, and if the creative teams want to go with fresher approach, they can.

As for the respecting her - no, that would not work. For the very reason that Santa Clause lives at the arse end of no-where. People would be asking for his help with stuff 24/7.
    This is where the suspension of disbelief part comes in. I'm not saying that it's necessarily more feasible than maintaining a secret ID--just that's something a bit fresher, or at least more distinctive, for us to suspend disbelief about.

For the very reason that Santa Clause lives..
    You do know that....?--err, sorry, never mind.
    Last edited by slvn; 12-27-2012 at 09:09 AM.

So far, we've had (between Azz and Johns) the return of:

Berzerker Rage/"God Mode" - check!
    Lasso Transformation. - check!
    Blonde Hippolyta. - check!
    Diana Prince. - Imminent!
    Invisible Plane. - Pending!

Can Egg Fu and Gliding Air Currents be far behind!?

Tune in next month for the answer to all these exciting questions!

Oh, I'm sorry! Did I say "answer" to questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post

Well. Azz did say that his favourite villain is Egg Fu so my guess is that Egg Fu is the one behind everything in Wonder Woman book! Definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post

The bezerker rage/god mode is two very different principles and powers. When Diana went into berzerker rage when her cuffs were broken, she was not stronger, only out of control. So, no check point for that, sorry

Veteran Member

The bezerker rage/god mode is two very different principles and powers. When Diana went into berzerker rage when her cuffs were broken, she was not stronger, only out of control. So, no check point for that, sorry
    God mode isn't identical to berserker rage, but it's reminiscent. It's a reimagining. I pointed out after 12 that Gerry Conway had a story (Wonder Woamn 259-260) that resonates in Azz's #12 in several ways: where one of Zeus' sons (in this case. Mars) was in charge of Olympus, Hermes stole (in this case, the bracelets) from Diana, and Diana manages to do the impossible by gaining control of herself while her bracelets are off. Thomas' narrator says Wonder Woman's powers are "out of control" while the bracelets are off. HE may have simply meant that without her sanity she can't control her powers; but she's very "Hulk smash!" until she gets control, and readers could have reasonably inferred that she did become stronger. And given what Lennox says in 15 about the power of Zeus not flowing right in the blood, it's probable that she does risk some time of sanity if she overindulges in god mode.
    Last edited by slvn; 12-27-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    God mode isn't identical to berserker rage, but it's reminiscent. It's as reimagining. I pointed out after 12 that Roy Thomas had a story that resonates in Azz's #12 in several ways: where one of Zeus' sons (in this case. Ares) was in charge of Olympus, Hermes stole (in this case, the bracelets) from Diana, and Diana manages to do the impossible by gaining control of herself while her bracelets are off. Thomas' narrator says Wonder Woman's powers are "out of control" while the bracelets are off. HE may have simply meant that without her sanity she can't control her powers; but she's very "Hulk smash!" until she gets control, and readers could have reasonably inferred that she did become stronger. And given what Lennox says in 15 about the power of Zeus not flowing right in the blood, it's probable that she does risk some time of sanity if she overindulges in god mode.
    Agreed! Reminiscent is the word! It's like all these cars that have the "retro" look to remind us of the 60's and 70's versions (Mustang, Charger, Camaro) but they're not quite the same. Close enough for me! In addition to which, if she finds her power difficult to manage/control without the bracelets now (which is why we're assuming she likes to keep them on 24/7) how different could they be?

BANNED

One of the usual characteristics of someone going berzerk is increased if not superhuman physical capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    One of the usual characteristics of someone going berzerk is increased if not superhuman physical capabilities.

Again, if you can find specific examples of Wonder Woman going into a super strength mode when bezerk back in the day, then by all means I stand corrected. But, I have a few of those issues where she went bezerk, and it was always described as out of control, not more powerful.

Meanwhile...

You just made me snort my cup of tea. Thank you for that. Also: Owwwwwwwwwwww