Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mrc1214 View Post
    Looks like I'm going to have to pay at least $4 an issue if I want to read Prez.
    I figure $4 is the cover price on many comics by Marvel and IDW anyway, so it's tolerable.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Looks like I'm going to have to pay at least $4 an issue if I want to read Prez.
    No way, unless you're a condition nut, which I'm pretty sure you're not. I acquired the run (#s 1-3 in one order, then #4 maybe last month) for about that for all of 'em combined within the last year or so.

Even as I type, Lone Star (which is who I got 'em from) is selling #1 in VG for $1.05 & #4 in VG for $1.90. (Nos. 2 & 3 are pricey at the moment because don't have them in anything below FN/VF & VF, respecitvely.)
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    I figure $4 is the cover price on many comics by Marvel and IDW anyway, so it's tolerable.
    Very true. It's worth it though.

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    No way, unless you're a condition nut, which I'm pretty sure you're not. I acquired the run (#s 1-3 in one order, then #4 maybe last month) for about that for all of 'em combined within the last year or so.

Even as I type, Lone Star (which is who I got 'em from) is selling #1 in VG for $1.05 & #4 in VG for $1.90. (Nos. 2 & 3 are pricey at the moment because don't have them in anything below FN/VF & VF, respecitvely.)
    I checked Lone Star saw how much 2 and 3 were and figured ill wait. I did buy the Marvel Universe mini ClanDestine, and Foolkiller. Id like to pick up the whole set at once but if I can't it's not a big deal. I'd like to own this and Brother Power the Geek before the new year.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

I'd like to own this and Brother Power the Geek
    My indoctrination of the nation's youth continues apace ...

Next: Canada.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 12-26-2012 at 07:54 PM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I started my list until I realized it was nearly everything outside the super hero genre that I haven't read yet

I'm likely to actually seek out some of the mags, and that nice Euro TPB
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

The ones I'm thinking of, from '89-'91, were all drawn by Ernie Colon, I'm pretty sure. Looks like a few anthology-type appearances have cropped up over the years, though.

Ish #2 of the 3rd mini does include Yankee Stadium & Hulk, but again, Colon is the artist.
    I think Kyle Baker inked Colon on one of the series, which is why it had those distinctive Baker faces.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, it was their intern who had been doused with gamma radiation, not the actual Hulk.

While I'm not in the market to buy, when I am I would definitely like find those Dynamite comics, along with the last few issues contining in Johnny Dynamite.
    I remember in the 90s Dark Horse doing a mini, written by Max Allen Collins and Terry Beatty doing the artwork; killer Mitch O'Connell covers

"If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."

Officially added to want list:

Tales of the Zombie
    Six From Sirius
    Ring of Nibelung
    Twilight
    Slash Maraud
    Hollywood Superstars
    Mars
    Open Space
    Camelot 3000
    Unknown Worlds of Science Fiction
    Captain Action
    Sinister House of Secret Love
    Death Dealer
    Tor
    Anthro
    Swordquest
    Kobra
    Reptilicus/Reptisaurus
    Conan (1997)
    Empire Lanes
    Age of Reptiles

Big surprises and awesome picks from fellow members of which I can't recommend enough:

Atomic Age
    Ribit!
    Twilight Avenger
    Ragman
    Time Warp
    The Goblin
    Twisted Tales
    Doctor Tomorrow
    Atari Force
    Spacehawk
    Tales of Evil
    Son of Ambush Bug
    Destroyer Duck
    Magik
    Scream
    Megaton Man
    Timespirits
    Madman
    A1
    The Forever People
    New Gods
    OMAC

Shade, Prez, Bat Lash and Wolverine all look like the big winners, with Shade taking the prize! Great event and for the most part I enjoyed my first Classic Comics Christmas.

I was the only person to nominate Camelot 3000? Really?

I was also surprised for the amount of love shown for Rima the Jungle Girl. I've often felt like I'm the only person to cherish this title. Glad to know I'm not alone.

Biggest surprise for me is the love for Prez. I only ever read a couple of issues when it came out (the vampire one, and one other than I can't remember) but thought it was awful, so (while recognising that my tastes don't coincide with a lot of the other posters here) was really baffled by the amount of praise it got.

Ring of Nibelung and Usagi in Space are two that spring directly to my mind, but I remember a few others that I saw and though, "Damn, I need to read that!" only at this moment I can't remember what they were. Looks like it's time to pour over the lists.

After careful review this is the full list of books I want to try and pick up in the coming year based on the Christmas suggestions:
    Ragman
    Mars
    The Black Dragon
    Open Space
    Jack Kirby's 2001: A Space Odyssey
    The Books of Ballads and Sagas
    Shade the Changing Man
    Alien Worlds
    Undersea Agent
    Silver Star
    Grendel: Black, White and Red
    Conan the Barbarian (1997)
    Scream
    Age of Heroes
    Megaton Man
    Barry Windsor-Smith’s Storyteller
    MADMAN

I don't think I'll get to them all, but I'll certainly try.

The ones I'm thinking of, from '89-'91, were all drawn by Ernie Colon, I'm pretty sure. Looks like a few anthology-type appearances have cropped up over the years, though.

Ish #2 of the 3rd mini does include Yankee Stadium & Hulk, but again, Colon is the artist.
    I know this is kinda off subject, but I could never GET Colon's style. Had Damage Control back in the day as well as Arak (and probably a few others), but could never bring myself to like his work. And now I see hes doing Richie Rich, to paraphrase Cei-U... I summon the WTF
    kalorama :Take your reason and logic and begone! We don't cotton to your like 'round here!

Quote Originally Posted by pakehafulla View Post
    I know this is kinda off subject, but I could never GET Colon's style. Had Damage Control back in the day as well as Arak (and probably a few others), but could never bring myself to like his work. And now I see hes doing Richie Rich, to paraphrase Cei-U... I summon the WTF
    He was doing Richie Rich before he was doing Arak or Damage Control.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    I was the only person to nominate Camelot 3000? Really?

I was also surprised for the amount of love shown for Rima the Jungle Girl. I've often felt like I'm the only person to cherish this title. Glad to know I'm not alone.
    I had Camelot 3000 as my top 5 but I felt I needed to do "less obvious" picks. I went for the obscure and away from the most popular in most of my picks.
    Life is what you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Garth View Post
    Biggest surprise for me is the love for Prez. I only ever read a couple of issues when it came out (the vampire one, and one other than I can't remember) but thought it was awful, so (while recognising that my tastes don't coincide with a lot of the other posters here) was really baffled by the amount of praise it got.
    As I wrote on the first or second day someone mentioned it, I too thought it was awful at the time. But my tastes have changed. I now find it a lot easier to enjoy a completely insane fever-dream cartoon like Prez. If you haven't read it since it came out, give it another look and see if it doesn't make you laugh a lot now.

Also, for those who got interested in Scream, its companion magazines Nightmare and Psycho were just as good, especially the Hewetson-edited issues.
    --
    Rob Allen