Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Comics Added to Want List/Biggest Surprises of Classic Comics Christmas 2012

I added two comics I hadn't realized existed, Ragman #5 and Kobra #7, and the following runs or trades:

Omac
    Tales of the Zombie
    Bat Lash
    The Book of Jim
    Giantkiller
    Reptisaurus
    Marvel Universe
    (plus From the Marvel Vault)
    Kull the Conqueror
    Prez

My biggest surprises were:
    1) Shade, the Changing Man (my #1) is actually very well-loved.
    2) There were surprisingly few votes for Squadron Supreme.
    3) Not one person voted for Hot Wheels (Toth/N. Adams) or for Marvel's Scooby Doo (Evanier/Spiegel).
    4) I had no idea there was that much love out there for Prez. No clue at all.
    5) I never knew of the existence of Marvel Universe.
    6) Most of us focused quite a bits on the 1970s-1980s. I loved it that DC Indexer (Mike) coming along with his set of comics pre-1960, but I also loved ArtyCool8or coming along with interesting selections from the 1990s. I wish Captain Jim and Venomous Mask would've played, too; I think they would have added to the breadth and depth of what was covered.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

I already noted in the Christmas Hauls thread that I picked up the IDW omnibus of Desperadoes based on someone picking it here. It contains all five minis. I loved the first four and really didn't like the last one, but, hey, 200 pages of good comics, including art by Cassaday and John Severin.

I was surprised at the lack of overlap. I mean, when there was overlap, there was a lot, but there were tons of series that only got one vote... which was nice, because it opened me up to lots of new stuff.
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

I haven't yet formally updated my want list (not that it's a big production or anything, but I did have it open an hour or so ago to remove a few recent acquisitions, in part to helkp kill time while internet access was down here at work) to incorporate this year's picks, but I've already added Martian Manhunter: American Secrets.

Big surprises? Prez, for sure. Also, I'm apparently the only person in the world who thought the Damage Control miniseries (which I didn't pick because, of course, I wound up eschewing limited series) were the bee's knees.

And of course finding out that Reptisaurus! is such a big ol' meanie, given how he made me summon my inner fascist.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 12-26-2012 at 09:00 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Also, I'm apparently the only person in the world who thought the Damage Control miniseries (which I didn't pick because, of course, I wound up eschewing limited series) were the bee's knees.
    I like what I've read, but the only complete Damage Control mini I've read is the Planet Hulk one, which is too late for this contest. From the random issues I've seen earlier, at least one of them had Kyle Baker art, right? Hulk at a baseball game, if I recall correctly.
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

The ones I'm thinking of, from '89-'91, were all drawn by Ernie Colon, I'm pretty sure. Looks like a few anthology-type appearances have cropped up over the years, though.

Ish #2 of the 3rd mini does include Yankee Stadium & Hulk, but again, Colon is the artist.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 12-26-2012 at 10:26 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I've bought and and now own because of this years CCC many have arrived already

the Kents
    Hollywood Superstars
    Cinder and Ashe
    Section Zero
    Shadow War of the Hawkman

There were a few that got added to my want list:

Amazing High Adventure
    Unknown Worlds of Science Fiction

I had read Martian Manhunter: American Secrets when it came out but no longer had the issues themselves, so seeing it caused me to want to reread it, so I added that one to the list as well.

There were several on my want list already, but seeing the write ups just confirmed my desire for them and moved them up the priority chain as well. I would add the 1950's Phantom Stranger to my list but I would never find issues at prices I could manage and be willing to pay.

I was surprised at the love for Shade, which I had not cared for when I sampled it when I was younger. I liked most of the Ditko stuff I tried, but Shade never did it for me.

I was surprised how many western fans there are, as a it seems to be a genre in the decline, but it was heartening to see so many fans still.

I was surprised at how many sword and sorcery books got love, as it is a genre near and dear to me.

I was surprised so many of the usual suspects didn't dominate, which was good because it allowed more variety and nominations of stuff that might not get the attention it deserves.

-M

I was pleasantly surprised at the breadth of choices
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

The ones I'm thinking of, from '89-'91, were all drawn by Ernie Colon, I'm pretty sure. Looks like a few anthology-type appearances have cropped up over the years, though.
    I know the first series (the only one I read) was by Colon and (I think) Wiacek. Made for a very nice combo.

I'm surprised I totally blanked on the various Concrete minis, 'cause i really enjoyed them as they came out.

Another surprise: Every time I see the cover to OMAC #1, I become more and more convinced that it's the best cover ever.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Ish #2 of the 3rd mini does include Yankee Stadium & Hulk, but again, Colon is the artist.
    Apparently #1 of the third mini is the one I was thinking of... and is the only one drawn by Baker.

Here's a blog post about it.

Geez -- didn't remember that at all (obviously).

It's a day-after-Christmas miracle!

-- Reptisaurus!

Man, I would love to read Captain Action. I don't have a fortune...
    Life is what you make it.

And of course finding out that Reptisaurus! is such a big ol' meanie, given how he made me summon my inner fascist.
    Still friends, though, right?

(My lawyers will be contacting you shortly.)

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    Man, I would love to read Captain Action. I don't have a fortune...
    I paid an average of 7 bones for my copies, after a li'l bit of negotiating. Not CHEAP by my standards, but not godawful.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

My Captain Actions came via an eBay lot about 4 years ago, I'm pretty sure, & I doubt I paid more than an average of $4ish each, given how tightly I tend to clutch my wallet.

Actually, I have a vague memory of being inspired to go eBaying for 'em after I found one in a $1 bin, but that's gotta be my memory playing tricks on me.

-- Reptisaurus!

Looks like I'm going to have to pay at least $4 an issue if I want to read Prez.

I got some money earlier on so next week I'm raiding th back issues!
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”