View Poll Results: Two questions: Vote on 1 of the top 2 and 1 of the bottom 2

Voters
121. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes. I believe a rape will take place in the pages of Superior Spider-Man.

38 31.40%
  • No. I don't believe a rape will take place in the pages of Superior Spider-Man.

56 46.28%
  • I believe rape already occurred in Amazing Spider-Man 700: Doc Ock/Peter kissed MJ.

10 8.26%
  • Ive seen TV shows, movies & comics where kisses happen due to mistaken identities & its not rape.

47 38.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 83 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3373798081828384858687 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1333

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    That was the first and last time Grandma tried her Green M & M Egg Nog recipe.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that!
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Well, I agree with Shaggy in this; I think it's a mistake to start screaming "Rape! Rape! Rape!" before page one of the story has unfolded.

Do any of you that think others shouldn't talk of this possibly being rape not see the implied sexual thoughts of Ock?

Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Edwards View Post
    Do any of you that think others shouldn't talk of this possibly being rape not see the implied sexual thoughts of Ock?
    Fundamentally, it isn't all that different from Bat fans wondering whether the Joker will kill Alfred in the "Death of the Family" arc. It is just that rape is such a taboo subject in pop culture, which is why people tend to instantly hush up any discussions of it on a mainstream forum like this one.

I think talking about it as a given before one has read the story is foolish. If one wants to do that that's his or her privilege; I just likely won't take such comments and thoughts all that seriously.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Was she kissing them like Spock is shown kissing MJ?
    But do we know spock really kisses mj like that

No, no, it's got to be you, cause apparently your wife's got a lot of trust in you.
    looks like you are out of luck, ive called not it.

All this said by way of reiterating I can see why people might interpret what is being shown in the way they are, and I think that reaction could have been (and perhaps was) anticipated.
    I agree. Id imagine its not entirely shocking.... the rape thing likely wasnt expected... but the outrage of thats peter's girl was likely expected.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Rape is a sensitive subject, which is why it's a good idea not to accuse the hero of the title of being a rapist before his story's even out!

Now if you want to call him a meglomaniacal body-swapping bastard, I'm way cool with that...
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    I agree. Id imagine its not entirely shocking.... the rape thing likely wasn't expected... but the outrage of that's peter's girl was likely expected.
    Actually, I'd bet they were smart enough to anticipate some people going off on the rape tangent, but realized it would be a fairly small portion of the audience, and one that likely would not effect overall sales.

Rape is a sensitive subject, which is why it's a good idea not to accuse the hero of the title of being a rapist before his story's even out!

Now if you want to call him a meglomaniacal body-swapping bastard, I'm way cool with that...
    Language is important.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    lol no way. Im saying I can passionately kiss my wife and it not lead to sex all the time. And if he always gets sex after a passionate kiss, that he might not want to get married as that will likely stop.
    "And soon I will have something he hasn't had in a very long time" - Doc Ock while attempting to seduce MJ, prior to getting angry at her for stopping the advancement of his sexual activities.

So, that. Right there. Is the protagonist of your beloved Spider-Man comics, having actual, on page, created only by the people writing and editing his story, fantisies and dare I say excitement and glee, about raping MJ. No one else put that there. I really don't see how you can suggest they did no matter how much you love Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Kiryu; 01-03-2013 at 11:25 AM.
    Don't worry.
    My brother and sister of the atom.
    We are the X-men, and we stand together

Quote Originally Posted by Kiryu View Post
    "And soon I will have something he hasn't had in a very long time" - Doc Ock while attempting to seduce MJ, prior to getting angry at her for stopping the advancement of his sexual activities.
    The director's cut gives more context to the scene.

Ock is actually talking about winning Angry Birds, because Parker's inferior intellect was always bested by those infernal pigs.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Seeing as multiple people replied, I'll just add this to address you all.

One said above that it's best not to accuse the "hero" of the title of it before it's out. I laugh at that for obvious reasons firstly, and then secondly, no one here as far as I've seen has accused Otto of anything outside of the very clear thoughts of sex.

And if it was to end up being the case, yes, it would certainly be rape. That's all I've seen maintained throughout this topic, and it's been a fair response to what we've been shown.

No one is saying it will happen, only that sex was alluded to. I don't see how those stating the obvious makes them the bad guy here is all I'm saying.

The director's cut gives more context to the scene.

Ock is actually talking about winning Angry Birds, because Parker's inferior intellect was always bested by those infernal pigs.
    I actually made that joke about it being a thai place only MJ has the number too already
    Don't worry.

It's very clear that Slott played with the villainy of Ock's intentions in ASM 700.

It remains to be seen how he'll deal with Ock's feelings toward MJ now that he's had a personality transfusion.

Or if he's still Peter. We could see a Firestorm style twist coming, as Slott says a lot of people swearing off the book will return after hearing about SSM 1. That implies Peter Parker will return in some capacity.

No one is saying it will happen, only that sex was alluded to. I don't see how those stating the obvious makes them the bad guy here is all I'm saying.
    Because you're saying something not entirely positive about the Spider-Man books and ruining everyones fun of enjoying the story of MJ and Doc Ock having freaky friday sex without thinking about the real horrific implications of such an event should it happen.
    Don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiryu View Post
    Because you're saying something not entirely positive about the Spider-Man books and ruining everyones fun of enjoying the story of MJ and Doc Ock having freaky friday sex without thinking about the real horrific implications of such an event should it happen.
    True. I will excuse myself for shining a light on FFS (Freaky Friday Sex). XD