View Poll Results: Two questions: Vote on 1 of the top 2 and 1 of the bottom 2

Voters
121. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes. I believe a rape will take place in the pages of Superior Spider-Man.

38 31.40%
  • No. I don't believe a rape will take place in the pages of Superior Spider-Man.

56 46.28%
  • I believe rape already occurred in Amazing Spider-Man 700: Doc Ock/Peter kissed MJ.

10 8.26%
  • Ive seen TV shows, movies & comics where kisses happen due to mistaken identities & its not rape.

47 38.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 65 of 89 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    Really.

"I think rape can be hilarious." - George Carlin
    Ugh...No wonder you're a Packers fan...

The poll is wrong and not worth voting on.

It hasn't happened (yet).....but these discussions centre around:

Is there an inference of potential rape? Most people can see there is.....and there is...

Is it rape? Well yes, by deception.....MJ would be having sex with Doc Ock unknowingly and therefore against her will (because she would never do that knowingly)......consent is still an issue in matters connected with rape

It hasn't happened, but the big question is should we allow the possibility of it happening, should we accept the potential of the inference shown and not say/do anything about it.....

It is only fiction, but shouldn't we challenge the ideas presented if we see them as wrong?

Are these the sort of issues and storylines we want for Peter and MJ....for (the Amazing) Spider-Man?

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    Hello Kevin,

It's not just something that I have inferred, and you have not it seems, it is inferred......hence this thread, and comments included which show this to be the case.....as I said it is implicit and out front (despite Wacker denial as reported by Toastedbred)......hopefully you'lll accept this and then see that the writer and editor are clearly responsible for putting it out there.
    I think you mean "implied" not "inferred", but that's not accurate either. Doc Ock said (in comic-safe lingo) that he wanted to pursue MJ, but that doesn't imply that it will happen. It's a possibility, but there's nothing in the story to suggest it will happen. Like I said, when I read the story, I thought, "ooo! That's creepy!" But Ock's a villain, and he's supposed to be creepy. Not for one second did I think anything was likely to happen. It's all about perspective. So, again, your perception is yours. Dan and Steve have nothing to apologize for on that account.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

Quote Originally Posted by DV1Band View Post
    I guess, if that's what floats your boat... Ewww...
    The context for that quote is: rape isn't funny, but that doesn't mean it's an off-limits subject for a joke.

Honestly, there are now two threads with over 65 pages worth of discussion about the rape of a fictional character that may or may not happen. Do you not see the hilarity in that? So, yeah, I'm not above "poll" jokes. Put me on ignore if it bugs you.

Kevin, yes but my point is about the possibility, and the potentiality of it happening. As you said "Ooooh that's creepy"! You/we all know what could/might happen that's the issue! That being implied or inferred is the issue and this is pretty clear to most people. You don't think Slott n Wacker know/meant this? Do we want to wait for it to happen before we say something? of course it might not matter until it happens some are saying, and that it won't, but what if it does? Do you have that much faith in S n W, after they took us down this road in the first place, in this year of all years, 50 yrs of Spidey and we get Peter offed and potentially his wife raped by an arch enemy? Is that meant to wash easily over fans of the Spidey we've known for up to 50 years?

It is only fiction, but shouldn't we challenge the ideas presented if we see them as wrong?
    Yes, you should. However, it's unreasonable to expect that a subject will be off-limits simply because you find it distasteful. Other people may have no problem with rape (deceptive or otherwise) to be addressed in comics. And there's nothing wrong with that opinion either.

Wow, this thread is in serious poor taste, not only because of the distasteful poll, but also because of the knucklehead comments it's going to garner.

Kevin, yes but my point is about the possibility, and the potentiality of it happening. As you said "Ooooh that's creepy"! You/we all know what could/might happen that's the issue! That being implied or inferred is the issue and this is pretty clear to most people. You don't think Slott n Wacker know/meant this? Do we want to wait for it to happen before we say something? of course it might not matter until it happens some are saying, and that it won't, but what if it does? Do you have that much faith in S n W, after they took us down this road in the first place, in this year of all years, 50 yrs of Spidey and we get Peter offed and potentially his wife raped by an arch enemy? Is that meant to wash easily over fans of the Spidey we've known for up to 50 years?
    1. I'm sure Dan & Steve expected there to be some reaction from fans about the possibility of rape, but I don't think they intended it to be the overall, or even underlying, theme to the story. Right now, EVERYONE is being deceived by the current Spider-Man. Sex isn't even an issue in the deception. Adults may bring that subject into the story with them, but that's really not what the story is about right now. It's a min-swap story. Really Spidey would be "raping" any girl he slept with right now, not just MJ. I suppose you could say that the real Spidey raped every girl he ever slept with that didn't know he was Spidey. He's very deceptive.

2. I personally don't mind stories that tackle tough subjects like rape. While I would hate to see it happen to MJ, I would still enjoy the story if it was told well.

3. I have faith in MJ. She either suspects or will soon suspect that something's up with Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    the distasteful poll
    Ba-dum-bum!

"Hate to see it happen to MJ" good we're agreed.

I do not want this to happen to MJ! And of course MJ would (under normal/better writing circumstances) spot that something's up with Pete, and in fact do something about it........but, we're in the hands of people who gave us/allowed OMD and OMIT and whom in my opinion have bad regard for MJ, so I fear the worst and am not optimistic.....

Anyway gotta go for now, it's 1.45 am here in "blighty".....goodnight!

Jon

I don't think that it'll happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    The context for that quote is: rape isn't funny, but that doesn't mean it's an off-limits subject for a joke.

Honestly, there are now two threads with over 65 pages worth of discussion about the rape of a fictional character that may or may not happen. Do you not see the hilarity in that? So, yeah, I'm not above "poll" jokes. Put me on ignore if it bugs you.
    Actually, I think it's kinda sad. I don't really see the hilarity in that, but it doesn't mean I'm going to put you on ignore... People have different opinions... To each their own.

Veteran Member

I joined this forum in particular right now to say: Toastedbred, although it seems you've bowed out now, I thought your post (no 736) back at page 50 was fantastic! Bravo! and your last post continued this.

The writer Slott and Wacker in particular after his crass comments, as you have reported them, have absolutely got to take responsibility for the inference of rape by deception in this storyline! It stands out and is no figment of imagination, but is spectacularly implicit!

As you have mentioned some people, like me, never ever wanted this to have come up in relation to MJ, it is diabolical that we have to this in the first place, I put that on Slott, and Wacker in support does not give me faith that there is proper responsibility about the direction Spidey comics are going in.
    What is it you imagine I said?

What is it you imagine is in the comic?

SW

Veteran Member

MJ's been in even worse predicaments and you've kept reading.

SW

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Wow, this thread is in serious poor taste, not only because of the distasteful poll, but also because of the knucklehead comments it's going to garner.
    I tend to agree.

SW