Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

sneaked a peak at a panel and saw 4 "?"s in a single panel of Batman dialog. Man, Johns! Don't you know Batman knows everything???
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

I'll live comfortably with Pelletier, actually his work here reminds me a lot of Patrick Gleason's work on Aquaman back during/in/around Infinite Crisis, and frankly Sub Diego was the last time Aquaman was any good prior to the New 52. (Man, I'd actually really like to see Gleason back on this title).

Story itself was fine - the big JLA opening was superior, but this didn't hurt or slow it down, and the mood was fine. I dug "he's not a super-villain, he's the leader of an undersea nation" and thought it was great that with Gotham we got Gordon and Bullock, like how we got Lois and Jimmy in Metro. "Throne of Atlantis" is giving me what I want, and best of all I know from the solicits that it will not drag out in some god-awful decompressed Owl-fiesta of a bloated story.

I also really quite like how JL (and the various JL-titles, actually) do what they always claimed they wanted to do with 52, Countdown and Brightest Day and the weekly attempts - this provides an ACTUAL "spine" for the DCU. If you read Justice League (Dark, America) you understand the timeline for all involved. JL showed Bruce dealing with some Talons, brought on Green Arrow, winked at Scarecrow's recent appearances, and even here mentions that Flash is a little preoccupied with Grodd.

Also this issue should finally (hopefully) silence the crap out of people who wonder if Aquaman is a Namor-clone. No.

Ocean Master is Namor. Aquaman's his big brother.
    Last edited by Retro315; 12-26-2012 at 09:40 PM.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Retro315 View Post
    Also this issue should finally (hopefully) silence the crap out of people who wonder if Aquaman is a Namor-clone. No.

Ocean Master is Namor. Aquaman's his big brother.
    For some reason, I also imagine the PAD Aquaman has how Arthur must have been when he was doing the plans with his brother.

This issue was a little flat to me. I've loved the run so far, but I think I've been spoiled so far on having Arthur and Mera be the center of attention. Now with all the other guys onscreen it seems a little crowded, and I think it shows in the way the comic reads.

I also want to see the reason for attacking developed more; I presume the torpedo alone can't be the justification, that there must be something else going on as well.
    "That's the thing about the Phoenix. There always has to be destruction... Before rebirth. " - Scott Summers

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    This issue was a little flat to me. I've loved the run so far, but I think I've been spoiled so far on having Arthur and Mera be the center of attention. Now with all the other guys onscreen it seems a little crowded, and I think it shows in the way the comic reads.

I also want to see the reason for attacking developed more; I presume the torpedo alone can't be the justification, that there must be something else going on as well.
    Yup, Arthur even said it himself...someone wanted Atlantis to attack the surface. IE someone other than Orm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kent View Post
    I wasn't trying to speak against you, just add to what you said.
    I'm just clarifying. I didn't think you were against me.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar

Been enjoying this. Its not the predictable 'Hahaha! I am evil Ocean Master and now have forced a conflict with the surface!'. Instead its more 'I am weary of the surface... and I have been attacked!' Makes me wonder who the third party is thats responsible for this... assuming it isn't Orm of course but I feel that he is a victim as well in this storyline. Really enjoyed the sequence with Orm out of the water and demanding to know where the surface dwellers 'King' is and asking Arthur what he was doing up there all the time if he wasn't ruling mankind. Though one criticism I feel is that I just don't feel the conflicted nature in Arthur on choosing the surface or Atlantis. It just didn't resonate much with me. Not saying he should have thrown Orm in prison and attacked his fellow Atlanteans but I just didn't feel him being conflicted. Thats the only downside.

But love how they made Aquaman actually design attack plans for the surface like Babel Batman style. All in all, really enjoying this Throne of Atlantis arc and it really amps up the Atlanteans in the DC universe.
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!

Are all of the new DC Atlanteans as strong as Vulko? That was one heckuva punch.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

I like that Aquaman targeted Batman in his plans as a threat. Even better, I like that Bats was flattered. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    I don't want to be the one negative nancy but I thought this issue and Justice League #15 read as if Geoff Johns wanted to get on with the story already. It reads a little too obvious as far as motivations and plot devices, as if he wants to get everyone from point A to point B so the real story can kick off.

I posted a review with pictures at the link in my signature if anyone cares to check it out.
    Well you're not the only one.

Ugh.

This was by far the worst issue of the series. I'm so glad I didn't waste $4 on the JL issue to be doubly let down. Everyone in this book feels like a puppet rather than a character - being pushed around an obvious and overused plot to get from point A to point B.

I think I'll give this book another look once it was a new writer.

Dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger of Apocalypse View Post
    Been enjoying this. Its not the predictable 'Hahaha! I am evil Ocean Master and now have forced a conflict with the surface!'. Instead its more 'I am weary of the surface... and I have been attacked!' Makes me wonder who the third party is thats responsible for this... assuming it isn't Orm of course but I feel that he is a victim as well in this storyline.
    I think we got a huge clue from the design of the ship used by this mysterious 3rd party which we saw in the last chapter of "The Others" arc. Many people said it was shaped like a spider or bug, but in fact it was shaped like a crab. And we all know what a crab is.

It's a Scavenger. As in an old, obscure Aquaman foe who was always looking for Atlantean relics.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughNTumble View Post
    I was loving this crossover up until aquaman became unreasonable at the end of this one. Forced inner-league conflict and it's uninteresting.
    Think he is acting, trying to show his brother he is in command of surface´s people...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kent View Post
    I think the unreasonable part comes in when the JL wants to arrest the lider of a nation due to war while so many others do the same and they don't interfer.
    I don´t agree. In any war, if an army has the chance to capture and make a prisioner out of the leader of the enemy, it has the right to do it. Not to kill him, but make him its prisioner.

What would be the point of letting the "brain" and "soul" of your country enemy free?

Besides, it is unreasonable to start doing the reasonable thing?
    Last edited by Charlus; 12-27-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    The original comment was about how they should have done this with dictators around the globe.
    I believe that if in the DC universe some dictator attacks so hard on any american city, the league would chase him right to his hole. But that didn´t happened until this incident...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Charlus View Post
    I don´t agree. In any war, if an army has the chance to capture and make a prisioner out of the leader of the enemy, it has the right to do it. Not to kill him, but make him its prisioner.

What would be the point of letting the "brain" and "soul" of your country enemy free?

Besides, it is unreasonable to start doing the reasonable thing?
    1) The JL is not an army.
    2) They are supposed to not be connected to the US government, therefore Atlantis isn't an enemy.
    3) They would have to arrest all the other leaders of countries waging war, as for example the president of the US.

What's happening right now is that they are indeed acting as the US little super-powered army. In the real life, that would put every country in the world in alert mode against the US.