Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Deatheaters vs. Volturi

Voldemort leads his crew of deatheaters vs. all of the Volturi who met the Cullens. Movie versions only.

Chilling out at the center of the Solar System

In the Arena?

Jane incapacitates Voldemort, and the small army of vampires blitzes everyone else, barring the Deatheaters having any AoE spells that could conceivably affect Twilight vampires.

Make this a scenario, and the result might be the exact opposite.

I don't know, you think occlumency could block Janes power? Theoretically it could, but then have we seen Volde use it much? He used it to block Harry from reading him, but that isn't exactly the same as blocking a mental power like Janes.

As for AoE spells..they do have the sentient fire that chases you around. Though the vamps should be able to easily outrun it. There are other aoe spells like the fire spell Dumbledore used, but then that is Dumbledore.

I'm also iffy on Voldemort rumbles and what counts as a win with him. He will technically still be around as a spirit that can possess people. Though he's never possessed a living corpse made of marble.
    Last edited by Surtur; 12-26-2012 at 07:02 AM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    I don't know, you think occlumency could block Janes power? Theoretically it could, but then have we seen Volde use it much? He used it to block Harry from reading him, but that isn't exactly the same as blocking a mental power like Janes.
    When did Harry try to read him? oO

He blocked Harry from accessing his PoV due to the link between them, but he can obviously do stuff with Harry that he can't do with anyone else because of that link. Like possessing him for instance.

As for AoE spells..they do have the sentient fire that chases you around. Though the vamps should be able to easily outrun it. There are other aoe spells like the fire spell Dumbledore used, but then that is Dumbledore.
    How many of them besides Crabbe can cast that though? Especially before getting blitzed.

I'm also iffy on Voldemort rumbles and what counts as a win with him. He will technically still be around as a spirit that can possess people. Though he's never possessed a living corpse made of marble.
    Is Voldemort being unkillable through physical attacks in the Arena a thing now?

I mean, does he even reform as a spirit inside the arena? I don't recall him ever being in the same area after being killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol M View Post
    When did Harry try to read him? oO

He blocked Harry from accessing his PoV due to the link between them, but he can obviously do stuff with Harry that he can't do with anyone else because of that link. Like possessing him for instance.
    I could of sworn it was mentioned he was using occlumency to prevent Harry from seeing into his head. Granted Harry couldn't control when he saw things from Voldemorts POV, but I still think it was said he employed occlumency to make sure it wouldn't happen.

How many of them besides Crabbe can cast that though? Especially before getting blitzed.
    I don't know how many can cast it. Though Crabbe wasn't really a potent wizard and was taught by deatheaters to use the spell so I would imagine a decent amount know it(this can't be proven obviously). Casting it prior to getting blitzed is another thing entirely.

Is Voldemort being unkillable through physical attacks in the Arena a thing now?

I mean, does he even reform as a spirit inside the arena? I don't recall him ever being in the same area after being killed.
    I wouldn't know where else his spirit would start out at if not in the place he was killed. As for the destruction of his body not being enough to count as a win in the rumble..that's just what I'm trying to figure out. I'd say maybe it isn't a loss if he can still actually do something to the opponents left in the rumble. Against vampires he might be helpless since who knows if he could or couldn't possess them.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    I could of sworn it was mentioned he was using occlumency to prevent Harry from seeing into his head. Granted Harry couldn't control when he saw things from Voldemorts POV, but I still think it was said he employed occlumency to make sure it wouldn't happen.
    He was, but he shared a psychic link with Harry. Harry didn't actually know how to use legilimency.

I don't know how many can cast it. Though Crabbe wasn't really a potent wizard and was taught by deatheaters to use the spell so I would imagine a decent amount know it(this can't be proven obviously). Casting it prior to getting blitzed is another thing entirely.
    To be perfectly fair, we don't really know of too many Death Eaters that were provably more potent than Crabbe.

I wouldn't know where else his spirit would start out at if not in the place he was killed.
    At the location of one of his Horcruxes might be a decent guess.

Otherwise, I fail to see why he'd be in a random forest someplace with no one to find him instead of possessing people in civilization (which is where he got killed).

As for the destruction of his body not being enough to count as a win in the rumble..that's just what I'm trying to figure out. I'd say maybe it isn't a loss if he can still actually do something to the opponents left in the rumble. Against vampires he might be helpless since who knows if he could or couldn't possess them.
    For my part, I have zero problems with this. It's just that I'd always assumed that he was bound to the location of the Horcrux, and could simply travel around, which was why he was stuck in a forest in the first place.

If people believe that isn't the case, then I am honestly baffled by why the "unkillable lich" thing has never been applied to Voldemort before.

In the Arena?

Jane incapacitates Voldemort, and the small army of vampires blitzes everyone else, barring the Deatheaters having any AoE spells that could conceivably affect Twilight vampires.
    Supposing Voldemort turns himself invisible, can Jane's ability affect people she can't see?
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Supposing Voldemort turns himself invisible, can Jane's ability affect people she can't see?
    No clue. We've never seen her use it against someone invisible, though it's a psychic power, so there's no reason it shouldn't work.

Regardless, Voldemort is better off trying to teleport away which is at least a spell he can do quickly. He's still not fast enough to do it before getting blitzed though.

No clue. We've never seen her use it against someone invisible, though it's a psychic power, so there's no reason it shouldn't work.
    I'm still working my way through the third movie but I've only ever seen her use it one people she was actually looking at directly, and she seems to need to focus on them a bit.

The thing about assuming she can do it without having to see her target is that it by definition gives her the ability to detect sentient beings telepathically, which is such a specific advantage in Rumbles that I think it should require feats.
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

I'm still working my way through the third movie but I've only ever seen her use it one people she was actually looking at directly, and she seems to need to focus on them a bit.
    Ah, yes. I haven't watched the movies, so you could be right.

The thing about assuming she can do it without having to see her target is that it by definition gives her the ability to detect sentient beings telepathically, which is such a specific advantage in Rumbles that I think it should require feats.
    That, or she just needs to know that he's there.

I mean, he's going to be turn invisible right in front of him.

Of course, it might also be an entirely avoidable attack in that case, like a psybeam or something. In any case, the movie version of this attack must be really slow is actually capable of casting spells before she gets it off.

Otherwise, I fail to see why he'd be in a random forest someplace with no one to find him instead of possessing people in civilization (which is where he got killed).
    He explicitely said that he fled there because he feared the Aurors would find him.

Not sure how he came to the conclusion that the Aurors were competent, but maybe they were much better two decades earlier.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

That, or she just needs to know that he's there.

I mean, he's going to be turn invisible right in front of him.
    Well, yeah, but this assumes Voldemort is actually standing in the front row of his Deatheater minions (who are going to number in the hundreds) rather than letting people like Bellatrix and Fenrir lead the charge while he powers up some serious spells behind them.

Note that Voldemort basically never heads into major battles himself if he can avoid it, at least not without sending in some shock troops first, so that would actually be totally in character for him.

Of course, it might also be an entirely avoidable attack in that case, like a psybeam or something. In any case, the movie version of this attack must be really slow is actually capable of casting spells before she gets it off.
    Like I said, she seems to have to at least focus for a second or so. I guess it's roughly equivalent to a non-verbal Cruciatus. In fact, most Death Eaters should be able to do essentially the same thing in about the same amount of time.
    -Homer Simpson

-Homestuck

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    He explicitely said that he fled there because he feared the Aurors would find him.

Not sure how he came to the conclusion that the Aurors were competent, but maybe they were much better two decades earlier.
    So he's a...visible spirit thingy then?

...of course, that still doesn't explain why he spent a decade in hiding, given that everyone was pretty confident that he was dead.

Well, yeah, but this assumes Voldemort is actually standing in the front row of his Deatheater minions (who are going to number in the hundreds) rather than letting people like Bellatrix and Fenrir lead the charge while he powers up some serious spells behind them.

Note that Voldemort basically never heads into major battles himself if he can avoid it, at least not without sending in some shock troops first, so that would actually be totally in character for him.
    How hard can it be for a superspeeding vampire with superhuman senses to find one bald guy among a few hundred before the guy can cast a spell?

But eh, it's the Arena, so depends on the default position I guess. Always wondered how large groups are positioned in the arena.

Like I said, she seems to have to at least focus for a second or so. I guess it's roughly equivalent to a non-verbal Cruciatus. In fact, most Death Eaters should be able to do essentially the same thing in about the same amount of time.
    Hmm, she didn't seem to have to do it in the books.

Nevermind then. Two seconds is way to long for Voldemort to not be able to react.
    Last edited by Sol M; 12-26-2012 at 01:40 PM.

So he's a...visible spirit thingy then?
    Who knows.
    ...of course, that still doesn't explain why he spent a decade in hiding, given that everyone was pretty confident that he was dead.
    Because "Lucius Malfoy (or whoever) sets Harry Potter on fire when he's two years old" does not make for a very good story.

Also, because IIRC, he was even weaker when he'd just gotten killed than he was by the time he showed up in Book 1.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

Anti-Matter Eyes Eternal Torment's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Also, because IIRC, he was even weaker when he'd just gotten killed than he was by the time he showed up in Book 1.
    Yeah, Voldemort had to regain his power throughout the series. IIRC, he was still slightly below his prime by the time of OotP.