Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Lord Voldemort (Harry Potter) vs Darth Vader (Star Wars movies)

This is clash of the Dark Lords, who would win this battle.

Hmm, what nonverbal spells does Voldemort have besides apparating? I started out leaning toward him, but then realized Force-choke could really ruin his day. Even if he manages to apparate, in the arena, Vader could lock onto him again near-instantly due to Force sense. (Force-binding his whole body would be even better, if that's something Vader can do.)
    Soap Operus

"Gendou is probably the least whiny, but... well, let's just say that his reaction was probably not quite as healthy as a good whine."
    -The Drunkard Kid, on Evangelion

Voldermort can't be killed by anyone but Harry and wizards in the HP universe are really, really full of tricks and crazy spells so, yeah, the most famous asthmatic is doomed on this one.

Makes me kind of wondering if a lightsaber could deflect a spell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post

The Lightsaber has no feats for it so, no. I'm going to lean towards Riddle in this one; we have seen him deal out both flame AOE's and AOE's using the material he has at hand, too(here referring to his fight against Dumbledore) Skywalker can't spam as well, and he doesn't have an insta-kill move. We do not have any feats for Force-sensitives or Force-adepts being able to sense magical projectiles either, so we can't say that they can by Rumbles Rules.

Voldermort can't be killed by anyone but Harry
    I'd argue this point; one needs to destroy all the Horcruxes, which includes killing Harry himself. If one knew where they were, or had the capacity to do so(i.e. an active Stargate, a Ragna Blade, a handful of Spellfire, a Light Hawk Wing, anything demonstrably outside its feats of damage resistance) I find it hard to see why someone could not kill Riddle.

Unfortunately, in this Rumble, Skywalker won't have the time to go and discover the Horcruxes. Especially if Riddle has had the necessary time to go and hide them around the place; it is reasonable to assume under Rumbles rules that even the GPD or a gain of sand on the Arena floor could be a Horcrux. Or even Vader himself.

I would argue that Immortality on Riddle's part would be in full effect here if we are giving him the full spectrum of his magical abilities.

SO. Best Skywalker can hope for is a ten-count.
    Last edited by T51R; 12-26-2012 at 05:25 AM.
    "Our cash flow is as if a profligate son keeps borrowing money to spend on Geisha, which is why we donít have a choice not to enjoy the race." ~DOME CO. LTD, on their 2012 LeMans effort...

Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post
    i think so, movie version of the spell at least. A stupefix has to actually hit the target to be effective, so why not ? Probably doesn't work for all spells but for this kind of attack, yeah, sure.

I find it hard to see why someone could not kill Riddle.
    Pretty obvious, it's a prophecy. No logic in that. It's just how it is.

Anyway, Vader is dead as the disco here.
    Last edited by The Green Condom; 12-26-2012 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Condom View Post

A "prophecy" applies only within a work of fiction; this is Khazan. And in Khazan, there are things Tom could potentially face that would ignore him completely, and one-shot the planet he's standing on(which would still produce the desired effect) It would work, because he does not have the feats to suggest he could survive an Earth-sized Giga Drill Breaker, a LHW passing through the planet, a multiple planet-splitting Getter Tomahawk, bombardment with celestial bodies, or even The Finger of Wyzen.

Anyway, Vader is dead as the disco here.
    This, I have to concur with.
    "Our cash flow is as if a profligate son keeps borrowing money to spend on Geisha, which is why we donít have a choice not to enjoy the race." ~DOME CO. LTD, on their 2012 LeMans effort...

Quote Originally Posted by T51R View Post
    A "prophecy" applies only within a work of fiction; this is Khazan. And in Khazan, there are things Tom could potentially face that would ignore him completely, and one-shot the planet he's standing on(which would still produce the desired effect) It would work, because he does not have the feats to suggest he could survive an Earth-sized Giga Drill Breaker, a LHW passing through the planet, a multiple planet-splitting Getter Tomahawk, bombardment with celestial bodies, or even The Finger of Wyzen.
    Yeah that's all very, very something, but it doesn't change a very basic fact, that only Harry can destroy Voldy, that's a whole part of the character, that's why he survived the original blow when Harry was a baby. That's why he is what he is.

You can't remove that from the character, that's a full component of it. It's like saying "but if Vader was a japanese ninja then..." Who cares ? He's not.

Or is he?

The Exterminator The last dalek's Avatar

Yeah that's all very, very something, but it doesn't change a very basic fact, that only Harry can destroy Voldy, that's a whole part of the character, that's why he survived the original blow when Harry was a baby. That's why he is what he is.

You can't remove that from the character, that's a full component of it. It's like saying "but if Vader was a japanese ninja then..." Who cares ? He's not.

Or is he?
    Why do people all ways bring it up when it has no impact on fights. It's not like it makes him invunlnrable just impossible to kill for good. If some one incinrates Voldemort there victory isnt discounted just because Vildy will eventualy be revived.

As for the fight Voldy beats Movie Vader and gets horribly stomped by EU Vader

Or is he?
    A prophecy on the Harry Potter Earth doesn't match up well with the kinds of power levels elsewhere, and has no bearing on things in Rumbles.

For example, to take things to an extreme, the Harry Potter Earth doesn't have anything on it like Classic Dr. Strange, a mage capable of destroying planets and messing around with black holes in his spare time.

For that matter, a prophecy of this nature is just a matter of one character seeing into th future and coming up with the manner of how another character will die. Much like Glorfindel's prophecy about the Witch-King in lord of hte rings: he wasn't immune from being killed by men, it was simply that Glorfindel somehow picked up on the fact that he'd be shanked by a Hobbit then killed by a woman.

So such things aren't really big on Rumbles. :)

The prophecy doesn't mean Harry is the only one who can kill Voldemort. The prophecy would of never been fulfilled if Voldemort hadn't went after Harry's family. He created his worst enemy because he murdered his parents. That is what drove Harry to go after him(that and he is a genuinely nice kid) it had nothing to do with prophecies, not all prophecies in the HP universe come true. Harry had special insight into Voldemort, but only because the dude tried to kill him and a piece of him was left in Harry. If Voldemort had not killed his parents Harry wouldn't of had the means or the desire to kill Voldemort. It was one of those things where the prophecy only came true because people took it at face value(and Voldemort didn't even know the entire thing).

Granted you'd need some decently potent magic to perma kill Voldemort without destroying his horcruxes, but that has nothing to do with Harry. Likewise if you lined up all the horcruxes in front of a normal dude and gave him a basilisk fang or something with which to destroy them..then gave said person a machine gun and told them to go kill Voldemort? Yeah, that person could straight up kill Volde dead assuming they actually lived to fire a shot off. The bullets wouldn't magically rebound off Voldemort because it wasn't Harry doing the shooting.

That is of course ignoring the point that Voldemort technically killed himself. In the same way if I shoot a gun at a person and the bullet ricochets off the wall and kills me it doesn't mean the dude I'd shot at killed me. Harry didn't do a thing but stand there and let the principles of wand ownership protect him. The same principles that had been flat out explained to Voldemort earlier in the book and that he either ignored or just didn't believe(neither of which make sense since Ollivander was a wand expert and also didn't possess the strength of will to actually lie to Voldemort).

Let us also look at the prophecy: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Prophecy

Important part: "but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not … and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives."

Power the dark lord knows not? Yeah, that was just love. The whole "they will die at each others hand" wasn't set in stone. This was explained by Dumbledore: Harry wouldn't stop trying to kill Voldemort and Voldemort would not stop trying to kill him. Thus it wasn't saying "Harry is the only one who can do it" it was saying "these two guys despise each other so much that if one of them dies it will most likely be the other who does the killing". The whole "they can't live while the other survives" is that neither Harry nor Voldemort could really get on with their lives and goals until their opponent was dead.

Though again I point out Harry did not kill Voldemort nor did he even destroy every horcrux himself so no matter how you interpret the prophecy that still pokes some massive holes in the "only Harry can kill him" thing. In the end Voldemort was responsible for his own death. His arrogance and his stupidity got the best of him. Harry kinda just stood there and taunted the guy.
    Last edited by Surtur; 12-26-2012 at 06:47 AM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

First of all, Harry surived the killing curse for a very specific reason that was not related to the prophesy. Voldemort aknowledged that and even berated himself for not anticipating it.

Second, I think you missunderstand how a prophesy works. A prophesy is a prediction of the future; it doesn't decide a futue event and then forces circumstances to lead up to that, it simply predicts a future event that forms the regular way. Think of it as a memory in reverse.

Granted, Harry's prophesy was at least partially self-fullfilling, but that just means it was part of the circumstances that lead up to the event it predicted. It doesn't mean Harry can't be killed before killing Voldemort or that Voldemort can only be killed by Harry. It just means that's what actually happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Important part: "but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not … and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives."

Power the dark lord knows not? Yeah, that was just love.
    Could also be refering to the fact that Voldemort had no idea he'd accidentally turned Harry into a horcrux. Or, I suppose, Harry being the master of the Elder Wand. Both were major contributing factors to Voldemort's ultimate defeat.

That's the tricky thing with prophesies, they tend to be a bit imprecise.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

I will also note that Harry never killed Voldemort. Voldemort killed himself.

So yeah, "Only Harry can kill Voldemort" is rubbish.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

This fight has been done a lot. Voldemort wins quite easily as I recall.

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by T51R View Post
    The Lightsaber has no feats for it so, no. I'm going to lean towards Riddle in this one; we have seen him deal out both flame AOE's and AOE's using the material he has at hand, too(here referring to his fight against Dumbledore) Skywalker can't spam as well, and he doesn't have an insta-kill move. We do not have any feats for Force-sensitives or Force-adepts being able to sense magical projectiles either, so we can't say that they can by Rumbles Rules.

I'd argue this point; one needs to destroy all the Horcruxes, which includes killing Harry himself. If one knew where they were, or had the capacity to do so(i.e. an active Stargate, a Ragna Blade, a handful of Spellfire, a Light Hawk Wing, anything demonstrably outside its feats of damage resistance) I find it hard to see why someone could not kill Riddle.

Unfortunately, in this Rumble, Skywalker won't have the time to go and discover the Horcruxes. Especially if Riddle has had the necessary time to go and hide them around the place; it is reasonable to assume under Rumbles rules that even the GPD or a gain of sand on the Arena floor could be a Horcrux. Or even Vader himself.

I would argue that Immortality on Riddle's part would be in full effect here if we are giving him the full spectrum of his magical abilities.

SO. Best Skywalker can hope for is a ten-count.
    given that the horcruxes contain a portiin of voldemort's soul, couldn't you argue that the horcruxes would be present in the arena?

In order to make it a fair fight, you would have to make it so Voldermort can die like a regular wizard like he was before he tried to kill Harry.
    ScrewAttack's Death Battle made a pretty convincing argument as to why (SPOILER TO THE VIDEO BELOW) Luke could kill Harry Potter. The same, in a fair fight, could apply to Voldemort and Vader.

http://www.screwattack.com/shows/ori...s-harry-potter
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.