Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Right, but we don't know whether the effect of the feather was temporary or permanent. The fact that she "hovered" (if that's what it was) for the first time (other than apparently walking on water in #5) after issue 12 suggests that maybe the effect of the feather lasted.

True.
    Well, she did 'hover' over water in an earlier issue. Unless she has the ability to walk on water, we can call that hovering, and that happened before the feather in issue 12.

Didn't see your walking on water part in your post, but that can still be attributed to either hovering or one of her new powers --Moses power

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    Well, she did 'hover' over water in an earlier issue. Unless she has the ability to walk on water, we can call that hovering, and that happened before the feather in issue 12.

Didn't see your walking on water part in your post, but that can still be attributed to either hovering or one of her new powers --Moses power
    This is sort of ironic, because when #5 came out, some of the posters who were maintaining that she had lost the power of flight suggested that she was only able to apparently stand on water because of an underwater shelf, an effect produced by Poseidon, or something like that. Anyway...

Walking on water would be more like "Jesus power," wouldn't it? Moses would have gotten some dry ground to stand on by parting the Thames.

13 is still the first time we see her actually airborne, so the feather could have augmented whatever bit of gravity-defying power she had before. She also might be able to fly in god mode. And who knows? Maybe her improved cuffs can grow wings. :)
    Last edited by slvn; 12-26-2012 at 09:45 AM.

This is sort of ironic, because when #5 came out, some of the posters who were maintaining that she had lost the power of flight suggested that she was only able to apparently stand on water because of an underwater shelf, an effect produced by Poseidon, or something like that. Anyway...

Walking on water would be more like "Jesus power," wouldn't it? Moses would have gotten some dry ground to stand on by parting the Thames.

13 is still the first time we see her actually airborne, so the feather could have augmented whatever bit of gravity-defying power she had before. She also might be able to fly in god mode. And who knows? Maybe her improved cuffs can grow wings. :)
    I have to ask the question, probably not the first time, why the hell are we asking the question of whether she can fly or not 15 issues in her own book? As far as powers go, flying is a pretty damn good/useful one, something that shouldn't be ignored. Instead, if she does have this power to fly, why is she then doing acrobatics like she did in earlier fight scenes, like with the centaurs? Really doesn't make any sense to me, if she can fly. And that is why this debate is still going on, at least in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    Maybe he can teach her how to fly, and not hover. ahem! (running off to a corner)
    It wouldn't be appealing for me to see one of Wonder Woman's powers developed under Superman's tutelage. Diana should be able to figure out flying for herself. I don't mind Superman teaching Diana useful skills, but I would prefer those skills not be so strongly linked to some of her iconic traits and abilities. It would be akin to Flash teaching Superman how to speed run properly or Batman encouraging Clark to become a journalist because he's a pretty good investigator.

BANNED

A challenge. He does have super durability.

He can make her a carbon rip off of herself and show her a farm and say "HEY LOOK IT'S A FARM" and Wonder Woman will be astonished.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Some interesting replies on that Superman forum thread.

As for the question here? Well he is Superman, isn't he. It's actually more of a challenge to find something wrong with him.
    My point exactly over in the Superman board. Superman offers Wonder Woman everything a woman may want in a relationship, in a man, beginning with security/protection. Although Wonder Woman is of the mind that she needs no protection or someone who can watch her back, when the inevitable eventually happens, if it requires DC seeking more realistic portrayals of Wonder Woman from the writer, Superman could be there to provide Wonder Woman with protection or someone to pull her out of very tough scrapes or scenarios. However, as I stated in the Superman board, and for those very reasons, I feel that Wonder Woman needs more of a challenge in a relationship, so she will probably inevitably conclude that Superman is better as a friend and Justice League colleague; otherwise, because of that cliche that they are perfect for one another, this relationship could last forever, albeit a boring relationship, to most people, more than likely, particularly me. There were many interesting avenues that could have been pursued with Wonder Woman other than a Superman, Steve Trevor, Nemesis, or Batman paring. I can understand DC's motivation for one of these four options and even the horde of entertainment fans that like such parings; however, neither floats my boat, so, from my perspective, they are boring and uninteresting.

Story-wise, Superman would seem to offer lots of prospects, if it involves his rogues gallery accompanying him over to the Wonder Woman comic.

There is no cliched ID to overcome nor any my work is too dangerous, or I am real intimidated by you or my mission means too much for me bs. Kudos to Clark Kent asking her out.

And she can fly now people. In Justice League#15 the lady flies for real. Like fast.

Quote Originally Posted by kylesgirl View Post
    There is no cliched ID to overcome nor any my work is too dangerous, or I am real intimidated by you or my mission means too much for me bs. Kudos to Clark Kent asking her out.
    How does this answer the question about what Superman brings to a relationship with Wonder Woman? The question was: how does being with Superman enrich Diana's life? Setting that aside, what you've just described is precisely what makes readers like dshipp17 decide that Superman and Wonder Woman make a "boring and uninteresting" couple. The greatest love stories in fiction are ones that are fraught with the kind of things you describe as absent from a Superman and Wonder Woman pairing. For a story to exist, there must be conflict and obstacles, because that is where the drama is. So why does Clark deserve kudos? He didn't do anything particularly brave. As you said, being with Diana is easy. No need for Superman to make his heart vulnerable with any risk taking. Where's the poetry in that?

And she can fly now people. In Justice League#15 the lady flies for real. Like fast.
    You make it sound like the ability was lightswitched into existence (it seems the power came from Hermes' feather in a recent WW issue), but no matter. It's cool she can fly. She also can wear glasses now too, so the process of turning her more into the female Superman is right on track, I guess.
    Last edited by misslane38; 12-26-2012 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    How does this answer the question about what Superman brings to a relationship with Wonder Woman? The question was: how does being with Superman enrich Diana's life? Setting that aside, what you've just described is precisely what makes readers like dshipp17 decide that Superman and Wonder Woman make a "boring and uninteresting" couple. The greatest love stories in fiction are ones that are fraught with the kind of things you describe as absent from a Superman and Wonder Woman pairing. For a story to exist, there must be conflict and obstacles, because that is where the drama is. So why does Clark deserve kudos? He didn't do anything particularly brave. As you said, being with Diana is easy. No need for Superman to make his heart vulnerable with any risk taking. Where's the poetry in that?

You make it sound like the ability was lightswitched into existence, but no matter. It's cool she can fly. She also can wear glasses now too, so the process of turning her more into the female Superman is right on track, I guess.
    What you call poetry I call snooze city. Let's leave it at that.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    I have to ask the question, probably not the first time, why the hell are we asking the question of whether she can fly or not 15 issues in her own book?
    Honestly, probably because Azzarello likes giving us stuff to wonder and debate about. I think he likes driving us a little crazy/ I'm OK with that. It's also probably because eh and some others think that acrobatics and grounded combat can be pretty cool.

As far as powers go, flying is a pretty damn good/useful one, something that shouldn't be ignored. Instead, if she does have this power to fly, why is she then doing acrobatics like she did in earlier fight scenes, like with the centaurs?
    Probably because she couldn't fly, other than maybe a little hovering over water, until the feather in #12. Possibly also because, as Lennox mentions in 15, power inherited from Zeus is dangerous--and , if her flying power came from Hermes, he might be able to take it back-- and so she uses her power carefully. (I said "carefully" because I didn't want to make you mad by using the "j" word.)

Honestly, probably because Azzarello likes giving us stuff to wonder and debate about. I think he likes driving us a little crazy/ I'm OK with that. It's also probably because eh and some others think that acrobatics and grounded combat can be pretty cool.

Probably because she couldn't fly, other than maybe a little hovering over water, until the feather in #12. Possibly also because, as Lennox mentions in 15, power inherited from Zeus is dangerous--and , if her flying power came from Hermes, he might be able to take it back-- and so she uses her power carefully. (I said "carefully" because I didn't want to make you mad by using the "j" word.)
    Honestly, I think Azz is keeping the powers she has vague, just like the powers the Gods have are vague. If he writes himself into a corner, he can do the 'god-mode' trick, or now have the cuffs become magical weapons or whatever else he thinks of to get her out of a tight situation.

I just don't think he does superheros well, and by that I mean the powerful ones, not the ones that are supposed to be grounded (like Batman).

Again, 15 issues in and we still don't know Wonder Womans powerset, and now she has cuffs that can pull swords out of the air! I am not getting this 'cool' factor with the swords, in case that is the opinion of others who really like it.

really,just sex.for both of them they would be able to go all out and not hold back.let's be honest,Supes being with Lois was a joke.there is no way she could handle him,he would have to retrieve her from the moon every time he climaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by aerohalen View Post
    really,just sex.for both of them they would be able to go all out and not hold back.let's be honest,Supes being with Lois was a joke.there is no way she could handle him,he would have to retrieve her from the moon every time he climaxed.
    You know what's a joke? The Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex essay. You know what's also a joke? People assuming that Superman's bodily functions operate the same as human males' do. As Martin Pasko (Bronze Age Superman writer and co-author of The Essential Superman Encyclopedia) said:

"For God’s sake, can we stop talking about ‘Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex’ or the mechanics of intercourse between Superman and Wonder Woman? Larry Niven was making a — sorry — somewhat puerile joke. And I’d have to agree with the suggestion that anyone over the age of 14 who spent any serious time fantasizing about the sex lives of comic book characters — that is, who wasn’t getting paid to do so (like, say, a writer) — could probably use some, uhm, horizon-broadening."

Insanity is colorblind Mecegirl's Avatar

But since we are on the topic..... How come no one wonders if Wonder Woman would have squeezed off Little Steve? She does have super strength after all. If one were to follow the "logic" that Superman would burst through Lois, then it shouldn't be too far of a jump to assume that no normal man could deal with the pressure that Wonder Woman would apply. The same thing could possibly be said of Starfire and many other super strong ladies. Or is that too threatening for men to think about? Kinda hard to think someone's sexy if the act of sex would be dangerous for you. Better to just ignore it.
    Last edited by Mecegirl; 12-29-2012 at 01:17 PM.

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    But since we are on the topic..... How come no one wonders if Wonder Woman would have squeezed off Little Steve? She does have super strength after all. If one were to follow the "logic" that Superman would burst through Lois, then it shouldn't be too far of a jump to assume that no normal man could deal with the pressure that Wonder Woman would apply. The same thing could possibly be said of Starfire and many other super strong ladies. Or is that too threatening for men to think about? Kinda hard to think someone's sexy if the act of sex would be dangerous for you. Better to just ignore it.
    Everything else about women is dangerous for men, so why should sex be different
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”