Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default When Words Collide - Dec 24, 2012

Tim begins his countdown to the Best Comics of 2012 by looking at the ten that [em]almost[/em] made the Top Ten, including works by Brandon Graham, Jason Aaron and Charles Forsman.

Full article here.

Hi Tim,

Should I start commenting on the List or rather waiting for the rest - Top 10? ;)

Best,

Ivan

I don't like lists that are based on opinion rather that actual quality and technical merit. Unless they are favorite lists

I think comics deserve the same quality of reviewer as books and film but unfortunately all we get are fanboys.
    Last edited by Mesektet; 12-25-2012 at 03:06 AM.

I love the description of Batman Inc as pure execution. It's very accurate.
    And I love the comic despite its flaws.

@Mesektet
    I think comics deserve the same quality of commenters as books and film but unfortunately all we get are fanboys.

@tobecooper
    That doesn't make sense. I AM a fanboy. so are all commenters. I'm saying a reviewer should be a proper critic and not just another one of us. Not all reviewers, fan reviews are fine but i wish we had something better as well.

I agree with tobecooper

Mesektet, I find your comment confusing in the context of the Callahan's text. He always provides a number of reasons explaining his choices.

No one has read everything, all end-of-the-year lists are subjective. Yes, in film and books, too.

In the end, I just disagree with you.
    There's a lot of good critical writing about comic books. I mean, look at the books published by Sequart, or get some Comics Journal, if you prefer long form reads.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesektet View Post
    @tobecooper
    That doesn't make sense. I AM a fanboy. so are all commenters. I'm saying a reviewer should be a proper critic and not just another one of us. Not all reviewers, fan reviews are fine but i wish we had something better as well.
    I'm sorry but Callahan is one of the best, so I don't understand. He's not just a fan but i believe makes his living writing.
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

All right Mesektet, how did you crack the code to figure out my fanboyish tendencies? Was it that I wrote a list featuring creative work from a variety of writers and artists, working for a variety of publishers (or self-publishing)? Yes, I am a fanboy of variety and quality! Or was it that I used personal pronouns in this column that is a weekly chronicle of my opinions about comic books? Yes, I am a fanboy of personal opinion, because it would be kind of silly to write an opinion column without it.

Yet, I know where you're coming from. You want objectivity and not just a list based on the fact that I really think Red She-Hulk is super-cute (which I don't, and I suppose that's why she didn't crack the Top 20). So let me assure you, my Best of the Year list is based on nothing but well-researched facts and objective criteria. The results have been independently audited by my well-paid team of accountants and a consultant from Consumer Reports. You want hard numbers to crunch, here you go: all of these comics on this list received an aggregate score of between 8.73 and 9.41 on my meticulous 1 to 10 scale, and in the case of a tie I had to make some hard decisions. But in the end, I think you'll find that my list is historically and phenomenologically precise and any other list is inaccurate because those other lists were probably based on opinion rather than the completely objective data I used upon which to base my superficial opinions.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by TimothyCallahan; 12-27-2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: I spelled Mesektet's name wrong, but my fact-checkers caught it just in time.
    Timothy Callahan
    CBR Staff Writer

Reviews -- My CBR Reviews/Articles
    GeniusboyFiremelon -- My Blog