So, i've never read a Flash comic in my life, but would like to start.
I would like to know a little about how he became, and to cover most of the major events in some way, whilst getting up to speed with recent times.
Also I quite like the villains in DC comics, so touching on the best ones would be beneficial.
All ideas are welcome and I can put together my action list/reading plan.
I have previously done this for Batman, Spider-Man, Superman and The Avengers.
For example, below is the Spider-Man action list I have from weeks of fun and debating on these forums :)
1) Spider-Man's bio on http://comicbooks.about.com/od/chara...idermanbio.htm
2) Read Essential Spider-Man trade paperbacks volumes 1-7 (Effectively ASM #1-160) or Marvel Masterworks (Masterworks look and last better, Essentials are black/white and last and look worse – but cover the same material) But fewer issues per trade in MM.
3) The story of the costumes/Venom - Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars (gets black costume), The Birth of Venom (Secret Wars #8; Amazing Spider-Man #252-259, #298-300 & #315-317; Fantastic Four #274 and Web of Spider-Man #1)
4) Maybe read Amazing Spider-Man JMS Ultimate Collection (#1 and #5 probably), depending on whether I have read those issues of ASM.
5) Other key milestones - The Death of Jean DeWolfe, Kraven's Last Hunt, Hobgoblin trade.
6) ASM #296 and ASM Annual 21 - The Wedding (This may need to be read part way through The Birth of Venom)
7) Some Ultimate Spider-Man - Possibly in trade format
8) Possibly read Civil War and Back in Black
9) One More Day summary on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_One_More_Day
10) Brand New Day - #546 to #647. Includes Kraven’s First Hunt, New Ways To Die, Gauntlet, Grim Hunt and more*
11) Big Time - Which starts in #648
12) Through to Spider-Island - Which starts in #666
13) Continue through to new issues
14) Understand the background of Gwen Stacy, Venom, and Dr Octopus
15) Read the following trades: Spider-Man: Season One, Venom: Dark Origin, Spider-Man: Blue, Spider-Man/Dr Octopus: Year One
As you can see, this is greatly detailed, I do not need or wish to cover as much material for The Flash unless it is really necessary, I don't mind reading trades, novels or single issues, I have no preference.
THANK YOU FELLOW READERS