Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    We'll Be Waiting For You godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by finfangfool View Post
    One of my favorite X-Men issues was during Lobdell's brief return to the X-Men. Cyclops had just come back from the dead (who hasn't died in the X-Men?), and he and Wolverine were running through the sewers of Genosha. Like a buddy cop book, how I wish they were today (well, their relationship anyway as I far prefer the Cyclops of today).
    I remember that issue. It too was one of my favorites. When Wolverine and Cyclops do team up, I think they're one of the most effective in all comics.

Cyclops was acting strange, casually requested over 20 soldiers armed with dangerous tech to put their weapons down, then took them all out in one shot.
    Last edited by godzilla2099; 12-24-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiPatriot View Post
    Finally somebody who agrees that Jackman was a huge miscast.
    I agree too. Jackman is naturally likeable and personable instead of gruff and alone. He looks like hes never been angry in his life and comes off like the kind of guy who hangs out at a tennis club or something.

Jackman has been a commercial success for Fox, so it's unlikely they'd recast him at this point. But I really hope they do. Especially if they reboot after Days of Future Past. Just recast everyone, and put someone shorter, stockier and more abrasive/ornery in the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotm View Post
    I agree too. Jackman is naturally likeable and personable instead of gruff and alone. He looks like hes never been angry in his life and comes off like the kind of guy who hangs out at a tennis club or something.
    And he is way too tall.
    That's what annoyed me the most always.

Especially in Origins. Sabretooth and Wolverine should NEVER have the same size

People just root for the underdog. Wolverine was the underdog struggling to get a school up and running. Now Cyclops is the underdog cause he is on the run.
    “When ambition ends, happiness begins.” Thomas Merton

Wow! What a bunch of great posts. I read them all and appreciate every one of them. Especially the thought out posts that examined both characters plus/delta(s). A few things I read and agree with…

Cyclops doesn’t go around doing all of his own dirty work. BUT he has that influence over people that you must be born with. He can influence multiple people to do his will and that makes him (potentially) far more dangerous than Wolverine ever was.

Wolverine has assimilated. I don’t think Wolverine has lost his distrust of “the man” but he is now the pawn of Captain America. At least with Cyclops he was a respected 2nd. A right hand man. Some have stated Cyclops and Wolverine are better together than apart. Personally I enjoy them as a team. But I see that Cyclops stock has risen where Wolverine’s has stayed the same and maybe even fallen. This split has done wonders for Cyclops position in the MU and I’m not sure it was by design.

Who is “cooler”? Well as some have pointed out, there is no right or wrong answer. Cool is in the eye of the beholder. It’s personal taste. I don’t see Cyclops ever being mainstream cool. He doesn’t go around gutting people, drinking too much and getting all of the ladies. Cyclops is more cerebral and some (most?) people just don’t like that.

So what inspired this thread basically came down to the numbers. I like tracking monthly rankings of comics and was pleasantly surprised how well UXMv2 held up. Someone pointed out that it wasn’t “Cyclops and UXM”. But when Marvel decided to break up the band and create Wolverine and the X-men, UXM became Cyclops team and his alone. As expected WaTXM took top honors for a bit and everything was going as planned. But then things started to change. Soon UXM was taking top honors between the two. There is no way this should have happened, right? Cyclops and his rag tag bunch of Extinction Team members consistently outperforming the Mighty WOLVERINE and the x-men? So I thought, “Well this must be a KG and Aaron thing”. Let’s face it, KG is the man. So I look into November’s unit sales and see a continuing slide of WaXM and less than stellar sales for Wolverine’s solo title. So now the next test will be with the new Extinction Team. Will Cyclops coolness keep people coming back after the novelty of issue #1 wears off? Only time will tell…
    "A house divided against itself cannot stand"-Honest Abe

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Egg View Post
    He's still a dork, but NOW he's a dork that's posturing as someone willing to go as far as Wolverine might. He's probably more popular than he ever has been, but Wolverine is up there is Spider-Man territory. Also, unlike truly "bad-ass" characters, Cyclops doesn't take responsibility for anything he does.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	right_on.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	106170

Well Said!!!
    Last edited by Mia; 12-24-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    "People who believe they are successful, carry themselves well."-Peggy Klaus

Praiseworthy Analyst Emerald_616's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut punch View Post
    hell yeah, they've essentially switched places.

Cyclops is now the hardcore loner who does what needs to be done and wolverine is the by the books square.

Which is really sad, because wolverines sudden shift in attitude was awful. Wolverine suddenly became old cyclops out of the blue. There was no build up, no indication, just bam he's professor x and cyclops is magneto now. With cyclops we had a decade of build up. A decade of horrible situations, of tough decisions and of a slide to a willingness to do what it takes. Wolverine was shoe-horned into this position, simply because they thought a storm and the x-men book wouldn't sell.

Wolverine was still running x-force when he became professor x and continued doing so for some time and was still the resident "do what it takes" guy on avengers. Storm on the other hand, had doubts about the direction cyclops was moving for years. She had clashed with cyclops for leadership before and had even led the team for extended periods. If anyone should have fought with their shirt off against cyclops while a giant robot watches in the distance, it should have been storm. Wolverine should have remained a utopian until avengers vs x-men, when he'd finally change sides to storm's x-men. This would have made sense. Wolverine's characterisation in all the other books would be just fine.

Frankly, the idea of a professor x and magneto conflicting figures is antiquated in the x-men and has been since claremont plunged the two of them in shades of grey.
    this!!!!!!!!!
    "Claremazons are made to be punished." - jarrod

Essential reading

Summers cooler than Wolverine?
    NO! Absolutely no,no,no!

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Summers cooler than Wolverine?
    NO! Absolutely no,no,no!
    Wolverine has sex with dogs. Summers is cooler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pLyMQ.jpg  
    Last edited by ogrekiller; 12-24-2012 at 11:57 AM.

I would Like Scott more if he wasn't A Crappy Boyfriend and Husband. He screws up relationships by refusing to talk to his Partner. I mean for fucks sake how many times did Emma and Jean try to talk to him about Their Feelings and He didn't give two fucks about them? Its really no wonder all his relationships fall apart in the end. Also i will Never forgive him for Leaving baby Cable and Maddie in the cold.

As if Wolverine would be any better in terms of relationship, LOL.
    At least Cyclops is not a creepy pedo.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

he's certainly cooler than that riverbottom nightmare band reject, Beast.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

He is boring like ever. Nothing happened to him unpredictable.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiPatriot View Post
    As if Wolverine would be any better in terms of relationship, LOL.
    At least Cyclops is not a creepy pedo.
    Really? He was creeping mighty hard on teen Jean in the latest Issue of All new X-men.