Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    Not quite. You criticized me for using complexity as an insult against the Golden Age characterization of Superman/Clark, including George Reeve's version of the character. I made it clear to you that I never said a lack of complexity was a bad thing.
    So then stop arguing with yourself, we already went over that.

The question of nuance was a debate I having with other people (not myself), but you agreed with this person about Reeves's portrayal being nuanced due to his subtle performance. A subtle performance is not analogous to a complex characterization.
    Because in my opinion, you have to be subtle to nail golden age Clark (because he was subtle and complex, the story wasnt subtle or complex). And George, did a good performance with subtility.
    You said Golden Age Superman was complex because he "was always trying to do his best and was always on the job even as a reporter while remaining aloof yet sociable/likable and was hard working." That's not complexity, and it doesn't even scratch the surface in terms of the questions I asked. Golden Age Superman was a great character, but he wasn't a particularly deep character with a complicated emotional life that was explored on the page.
    Well thats a really neat opinion, misslane. A subtle portrayal doesnt mean that the writing doesnt necessarily have to be deep writing material. A man who can nail the difference in personality is subtle and complex, aloof yet sociable, ect. Even if the source material doesnt have deep story telling.

There you go. /waits for the impeccable circle of misery (for which I already have a reply for)

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher-Z View Post
    So then stop arguing with yourself, we already went over that.
    I'm not arguing with myself. I was correcting you for putting words in my mouth. You never admitted you were mistaken or in any way acknowledged you had jumped the gun by misconstruing my initial remarks. My conversation about the complexity of Reeves's Superman was with two other people who, again, were not me or you.

Because in my opinion, you have to be subtle to nail golden age Clark (because he was subtle and complex, the story wasnt subtle or complex). And George, did a good performance with subtility.
    Reeves did do great with subtlety, but he wasn't given a lot of meaty material to work with. He nailed a Golden Age version of Superman/Clark that wasn't a very deep or layered character.

Well thats a really neat opinion, misslane. A subtle portrayal doesnt mean that the writing doesnt necessarily have to be deep writing material. A man who can nail the difference in personality is subtle and complex, aloof yet sociable, ect. Even if the source material doesnt have deep story telling.
    I've been saying this for at least three posts now. Thanks for finally getting the message.
    Last edited by misslane38; 12-26-2012 at 12:34 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    You won't regret it man! Best Lois and best Clark in my opinion.

I think 'Superman and the Mole Men' is included in that set but if it isn't, you should get your hands on that as well. Some of my all time favorite Superman moments are in that film. Especially when he takes all the guns away from the townsfolk.
    It's on the set both as the full movie and as the two-parter from the TV show.

Frankly, Reeves gave his Superman strength and masculinity without having to degrade or talk down the other characters. He didn't make Superman a stronger character by making Jimmy or Lois feel like fools. That is extremely difficult to do when dealing with such a character. I don't care what people say about Reeves wanting something more substantial than this television show for kids. It doesn't mean he gave less to the show. Any suggesting such are quite disgusting.

I'm not arguing with myself. I was correcting you for putting words in my mouth. You never admitted you were mistaken or in any way acknowledged you had jumped the gun by misconstruing my initial remarks. My conversation about the complexity of Reeves's Superman was with two other people who, again, were not me or you.

Reeves did do great with subtlety, but he wasn't given a lot of meaty material to work with. He nailed a Golden Age version of Superman/Clark that wasn't a very deep or layered character.

I've been saying this for at least three posts now. Thanks for finally getting the message.
    What are you trying to pull a switcharoo? Thats why I said you've been arguing with yourself this whole time.

All that was established on my first post of the last page.

Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    Frankly, Reeves gave his Superman strength and masculinity without having to degrade or talk down the other characters. He didn't make Superman a stronger character by making Jimmy or Lois feel like fools. That is extremely difficult to do when dealing with such a character. I don't care what people say about Reeves wanting something more substantial than this television show for kids. It doesn't mean he gave less to the show. Any suggesting such are quite disgusting.
    No one is suggesting that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher-Z View Post
    What are you trying to pull a switcharoo? Thats why I said you've been arguing with yourself this whole time.

All that was established on my first post of the last page.
    The only way a person can argue with themselves is if they are contradicting or disagreeing with something they themselves have said. My views have been consistent, and I've been arguing this point with other people who are neither you nor me. If you'd like to continue to argue for the sake of arguing, take it to PM with me because there's no need to clutter up this thread.
    Last edited by misslane38; 12-26-2012 at 01:25 PM.

We'll Be Waiting For You godzilla2099's Avatar

Hell yeah I was a fan.

George Reeves did a phenomenal job portraying Superman.

He was confident, powerful, and inspirational.

My favorite George Reeves moment was actually when he guest starred on the I Love Lucy Show.

Lucy told her friend that she would get Superman to show up at Little Ricky's Party but she thought he wasn't going to
    make an appearance so she dressed up like Superman but got stuck on the building's ledge.

Superman shows up at the party and managed to get her out. Ricky is pissed.

Ricky: In the 15 years we were married, this is the stupidest thing you have done!!
    Superman: You were married to her for 15 years?
    Ricky: Yes! 15 Years!!!
    Superman: And they call me Superman

I also met Noel Neil. Her and her husband were extremely polite and friendly

Was kryptonite used on the show? Think about it, if you have a powerful man fighting human villains in a 1950's show, how can you hurt/kill him? Was Reeves Supes ever in ANY trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Fanofthegoblins View Post
    Was kryptonite used on the show? Think about it, if you have a powerful man fighting human villains in a 1950's show, how can you hurt/kill him? Was Reeves Supes ever in ANY trouble?
    Kryptonite showed up a couple times. Most of the conflict was Superman trying to stop bad things happening to other people, like Lois or Jimmy. Which is how it should be.

Creator Bill Finger The Bat-Man's Avatar

I love the show so much I have all of the DVDs, even the I Love Lucy "Lucy and Superman" episode DVD.

It isn't childhood nostalgia because I saw Christopher Reeve's version first as a kid with his first two movies in the theater in 1978 and 1980 and I was dazzled by them as a child, with the flashy special effects. I didn't really have the attention span to watch and appreciate George Reeves' more grounded, slower paced, character driven version, especially the black and white episodes, until I was an adult and it aired on Nick At Nite from 1991 to 1994, and I preferred George's Superman and Clark Kent, especially after I had rewatched the Christopher Reeve's movies as an adult and found them to be cringe-inducingly cheesy and campy (Christopher Reeve's Superman being more concerned with romancing Lois Lane than fighting for Truth, Justice and the American Way, and acting like a buffoon as Clark, to the point to were Clark's even eating dog food in Superman III, etc.). George Reeves is the live-action actor that personified the character the fullest in my opinion. Overlooked by too many (including me as a kid and teen) due to the popularity of Christopher Reeve's more recent and often imitated version, George Reeves captured Superman's charisma, confidence, aggressiveness, maturity, and dedication to a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American way. George Reeves captured both Superman's rugged and distinguished sides, authoritative fatherly figure, yet gentlemanly, and polite, positive role model, and Clark Kent's coy, believably mild-mannered persona without acting bumbling and inept (Christopher Reeve's Kent). Christopher Reeve's Superman was none-aggressive, seemed more interested in dating Lois Lane than fighting crime and even wanting to give up his life as Superman to be with Lois.

Of all of the live-action actresses that portrayed Lois, I like Phyllis Coates best in Superman and the Mole Men and the first season of the Adventures of Superman, because I feel Phyllis Coates best captured the feisty, competitive aggressiveness of Lois as Clark's rival reporter, which made her more believable as a successful reporter. Noel Neill was the second best Lois actress in my opinion.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane, William Moulton Marston. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre and its powerful legacy.

The George Reeves Superman show was my favorite when I was watching the reruns in the early 60s. Like many kids at that time, it was our first exposure to the character and led us into purchasing the comic book version.George and the entire supporting cast were terrific actors, clearly having as much fun as the kids watching the show.
    Why anyone would bring up the issue that the show was not complex enough, not dealing with the existential quandries of an alien godlike being, is beyond me. Clearly that person no longer has an inner-child within

The almost psychotic fixation on Lois has ruined many an issue for Kal. Who can forget the sheer idiocy of Clark ignoring crisises because he had to keep her alive with heat vision - Which made absolutely no sense.

Or the last movie - with abandoning your kid and going stalker.

Yep, that was a great portrayal of a hero. Give me George anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanofthegoblins View Post
    Kryptonite appeared in "The Defeat Of Superman" and "The Deadly Rock". As to Superman's own perils, mostly they were few and far between with the occasional power loss. Mostly, he was arriving to save Lois and Jimmy, or having to protect his dual identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ish Kabbible View Post
    Why anyone would bring up the issue that the show was not complex enough, not dealing with the existential quandries of an alien godlike being, is beyond me. Clearly that person no longer has an inner-child within
    I guess you didn't read the multiple posts where I said the lack of complexity didn't affect the level of enjoyment I received from the portrayal. I didn't bring up the level of complexity as a criticism. Why you would show such unfortunate lack of reading comprehension ability is beyond me.

I guess you didn't read the multiple posts where I said the lack of complexity didn't affect the level of enjoyment I received from the portrayal. I didn't bring up the level of complexity as a criticism. Why you would show such unfortunate lack of reading comprehension ability is beyond me.
    Must have got you confused with another poster with your name and their snarky comment that Reeves was one dimensional. If it wasn't a criticism, then I guess it was a compliment. That darn reading comprehension of mine couldn't fathom the nuance