View Poll Results: What main story would you like to see in Batgirl for 2013?

Voters
84. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Continues to rebuild relationship with mom

2 2.38%
  • Get's a job

8 9.52%
  • Goes back to school to further degree in Forensic Psychology

6 7.14%
  • Starts dating

2 2.38%
  • Gets a steady boyfriend

6 7.14%
  • Adds new ongoing supporting cast members

3 3.57%
  • Increases her computer skills, as promised to Knightfall

17 20.24%
  • More new villians

12 14.29%
  • Spinal health scare

2 2.38%
  • Divulge TKJ recovery arc

8 9.52%
  • Other

18 21.43%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I'm very happy for Gail and look forward to Babs-Bats in 2013.

I voted for computer skills, as I like that little nugget and easter-egg nod to her time as Oracle. Babs as the tech/computer guru gives her a niche in the Batfamily (yeah, I know that Bruce already knows all about everything ). But, I really wanted to vote all of the above. School, work, dating, more villains, etc - I want it all for Babs.

Oh, forgot to mention, I like the suggestion of Babs working at Arkham. Creepy as all ####, which is why I like it.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

I wouldn't mind new villains, the recurring use of New 52 villains, such as Mirror or Knightfall, but I would like her former villainy also aknowledged.

Seriously, truly seems like only the big guns, mainly "men" plus partial of Wonder Woman's, of DC gets to keep their enemies, while the "Girls" Supergirl and Batgirl, and the "Boys" I suppose, like Nightwing, has to be dependent on new sets all over again, as if their previous enemies, histories did not mattered.

Batgirl-wise, how about, re-plucking from classic Batgirl history, "bad guys" like General Max Scarr, the Cormorant, Doctor Voodoo, and Velvet Tiger?

Seriously needed to be a multiple options poll.

Xorn removes the nano-sentinels he used to repair her spine, reveals himself to be Magneto and burns half of Gotham. When Superman shows up, Magneto's last act before being taken down is to put an explosive chip of Kryptonite in his head, giving him an aneurysm that kills him in a minute. Then he has to convince Batman and Wonder Woman to hook up or the future is doomed, entirely due to Hank Pym's stupidity and no one listening to Quentin Quire. Who was also murdered by Xorneto.
    Hmmm. I can see this working very well... Not sure what Henry Bloody Pym has to do with anything though.
    Last edited by carabas; 12-23-2012 at 02:15 AM.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Hmmm. I can see this working very well... Not sure what Henry Bloody Pym has to do with anything though.
    I know, right. What the hell did Pym do.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-23-2012 at 02:32 AM.

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

Bother. Meant to say Beast. Here Comes Tomorrow was Beast's fault, that genocidal git. Pym is the Avengers equivalent. He's meant to be a hero, and a genius, and sympathetic, but no one's buying it. Apart from being a hypocrite and a cad, all they have is some minor technical skills. Beast recently tried to destabilize the time stream after Jean Grey sacrificed so much to avert his evil future. At least Pym hasn't beaten his formerly deceased wife or created a genocidal robot recently. Though Wasp is alive again, and if she doesn't cook the man some eggs, he'll go Jack the Muss on her.

Batgirl, Twilight and Hunger Games have a couple of things in common. First person female narrative, and a tendency to eventually turn the reader against that POV character. First Hunger Games book was swell. By the end of the third, reading was a test of endurance and Katniss' narration was a strong argument for rotating POV or 3rd person, omniscient or limited, whatever. Comics, particularly solos, should not default to 1st person narration. That is an artistic choice made for specific reasons. Overuse ruins the effect. It tells you everything and it tends to get annoying depending on the voice. It is practically native to poor comics and absent to better ones now.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

Eh? Well-
    With Samone returning, anything good could happen to the Batgirl comics 2013. However, based on your poll I would certainly like Batgirl to find a job and actually keep to it-.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    I'm very happy for Gail and look forward to Babs-Bats in 2013.

Oh, forgot to mention, I like the suggestion of Babs working at Arkham. Creepy as all ####, which is why I like it.
    I wonder if this was the original intention by Ms. Simone all along in terms of where this new Forensic Psychology degree is supposed to be going in terms of world building. If so, of course I reiterate this is an awesome change that makes sense for the narrative of the ongoing story as is currently being penned by her.
    Last edited by batGRRRl4ever; 12-23-2012 at 08:13 AM.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

I gotta say, I actually really like the idea of Babs working in Arkham as a psychologist, or some such. I don't know how it would work with the whole DotF thing, with what the Joker knows and doesn't know, but if it works after that conclusion, then I think that would be a good direction for Babs. I could see Papa Gordon not being too happy about it, though.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Yeah, lot's of drama potential with how upset Jim would be if Bab's were to be in Arkham every once in awhile. With a degree/job such as a Forensic Psychologist she would also make visits to Blackgate Prison, and have prisoners from Belle Reve Prison shipped in to talk to on cases that have Gotham jurisdiction. I wonder with interest now if that was the initial kernel that Gail Simone was setting up with showing three of Batgirl's past rogues in all three of those places at the end of issue #13, that Barbara Gordon would be making future associations with each of those locations in terms of her new job with the new degree she has.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Yeah, that really works. Plus, I like the idea that she would go into this line of work -- the too biggest inspirations in her life, should be Batman and her father, so with her, more than the rest of the bat-clan, it makes sense that the two halves of her life would be focused on crime. She is a Bat and a Gordon, after all.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

My only reservation with Batgirl utilizing Arkham as routine work setting is that it would cater to certain trends of characterization that I don't care for. For those unfamiliar, I am not of fan of how Gail defines Babs through Batman's darker attributes or trying to reinvent her as some intense, dysfunctional weirdo misunderstood by her genius. For the record, I've had trouble with this tone for Barbara since mid-late BoP.

Working at Arkham seems like an easy vehicle for the author to indulge that overtone; Every case will get personal. Every patient relationship will 'cross the line' in some form. She'll become the fetish object or psychological target of the inmates. The lines between costume life and personal life will blur and the book will effectively eat itself.

Its not that I don't find Arkham a logical place for a forensic psychologist to work at, but I'm certain that out of all the career fields chosen for Barbara, this one was chosen very deliberately by the author. I think Arkham should be restricted as a rare or occasional work setting and not her primary one. If anything, reinforce the more positive aspects of her personality and have her work in a clinic that brings her closer to the people of Gotham and gets her exposed to cases often overlooked.

It would be unethical for Barnara to work with patients as a psychiatrist at Arkham, and then potentially fight these same inmates as Batgirl.

Psychologists and Psychiatrists are two completely different things. And Peter Parker and Clark Kent have for decades made money off of their alter-ego's for their papers, essentially lying to the public. This isn't the real world, its' a COMIC BOOK. Issues that are brought forth by a main protagonists personal life or work are merely the means to forward the story. I hardly think an ink and paper fictional creation has to worry about the American Psychological Association censuring her license, lol.
    Pull list:

Seriously needed to be a multiple options poll.
    I completely agree. A number of these would be good options and I'm not sure any one stands out as being particularly more needed than another.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

I voted for the schooling. Maybe internship at the forensic lab due to who her dad is. I think school has more opportunity for stories than a full time job would. Especially since we'd have to put up with how come she doesn't ever show up yet gets a full paycheck. Opens the way for some dating. Younger and older guys there. Maybe find some other friends even if they are named Cassandra and Stephanie (who are doing other things than trying to steal her cowl). I could see many of those things offered in the poll to be found at school (including more exposure to computers).