Page 149 of 182 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 2723

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    OK, new-ish question, on topic.

I've said earlier in the thread that when most people complain about a comic book at CBR they're not actually presenting it as constructive criticism. But is that the model we should be using?

Either say something positive about the book, or if there was something you didn't like, assume that you're saying it to the creator's face and not just venting about it on an online fan-community message board? Would that help alleviate some of these situations between fan & creator?
    You can say whatever you want, however you want to. It's just important to remember that everything you say on here is public and is subject to other posters' reactions. Sometimes those reactions will be pleasant, other times they won't be. Some posters may react rationally, others may overreact. Sometimes a poster may respond with a what is meant to be a joke, but you take it seriously/take offense to it. There not much you can do about others' responses. The only way to 100% ensure that you don't get insulted or criticized is to not post anything at all.

If you absolutely need a model to follow, I would suggest representing everything you post as your opinion. That doesn't mean that you need to write IMO or IMHO in every single post, but it's probably best to avoid saying things like "objectively bad," "my four-year-old could do better," "the creators need to hear the truth," or "Wacker needs to respect the fans." Statements like these (all of which I have seen on these boards, by the way) are not provable, add little or nothing to the conversation, and only serve to stir up emotions in other posters.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Mike View Post
    That was the joke... :-/
    It was a good joke. I laughed quite hard when you wrote that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    You can say whatever you want, however you want to. It's just important to remember that everything you say on here is public and is subject to other posters' reactions. Sometimes those reactions will be pleasant, other times they won't be. Some posters may react rationally, others may overreact. Sometimes a poster may respond with a what is meant to be a joke, but you take it seriously/take offense to it. There not much you can do about others' responses. The only way to 100% ensure that you don't get insulted or criticized is to not post anything at all.

If you absolutely need a model to follow, I would suggest representing everything you post as your opinion. That doesn't mean that you need to write IMO or IMHO in every single post, but it's probably best to avoid saying things like "objectively bad," "my four-year-old could do better," "the creators need to hear the truth," or "Wacker needs to respect the fans." Statements like these (all of which I have seen on these boards, by the way) are not provable, add little or nothing to the conversation, and only serve to stir up emotions in other posters.
    Uh, sorry, but those examples are quite different in tone and nature. And pretty much everything said here is just someone's opinion.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lars C View Post
    I'm gonna throw in another question, aimed to Wacker and/or Slott. Just curious:

Would you prefer a calmer, more content fan base? Or do you think even the negative buzz and the "haters" is good for the sales? When you hype an issue with saying it'll make fans angrier than about ASM 700 (for example), is that you dealing with the hand you're given, really wishing all fans would go with it, or is it the controversy sells schtick? I know there are probably many not vocal fans that do love SSM, but it's the negative opinions that often are brought up, even by you.
    My answer is that there is a lot going on in your imagination.

I couldn't care less how the "fan base" acts.

I do love threads like this though.

SW

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    OK, new-ish question, on topic.

I've said earlier in the thread that when most people complain about a comic book at CBR they're not actually presenting it as constructive criticism. But is that the model we should be using?

Either say something positive about the book, or if there was something you didn't like, assume that you're saying it to the creator's face and not just venting about it on an online fan-community message board? Would that help alleviate some of these situations between fan & creator?
    You assume a "fan/creator" tension that doesn't exist.

Just because you specifically say nutty things and get knocked back, it doesn't then become the fault of all fandom. You only represent yourself and you should be responsible for what you say.

SW

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    My answer is that there is a lot going on in your imagination.

I couldn't care less how the "fan base" acts.

I do love threads like this though.

SW
    What would be in my imagination, you mean? I just think that you're quite aware of some fans raging, and you kind of add fuel to that fire, hence that solicitation of Superior Spider-Man (was it?) #9. It must be how you choose to market your comics?

Veteran Member

What would be in my imagination, you mean? I just think that you're quite aware of some fans raging, and you kind of add fuel to that fire, hence that solicitation of Superior Spider-Man (was it?) #9. It must be how you choose to market your comics?
    There are fans who complain about the staples in our books. Fans have complained since FAntastic Four #1. It's nothing to get too concerned about and in fact it's part of the fun of Marvel Comics.

I wouldn't get so overwrought about it if I were you.

SW

Uh, sorry, but those examples are quite different in tone and nature. And pretty much everything said here is just someone's opinion.
    As I said, if you voice your opinion publicly, expect to get a response. You may not like the response, but you're the one who put your opinion out there. It's really that simple. If you live in a bubble, you will never get offended. If you talk and express ideas publicly, you may sometimes hear things you don't like.

Your other option, of course, is to ignore people who hurt your feelings. It's especially easy on a message board because you can literally hit the ignore button.

It was a good joke. I laughed quite hard when you wrote that.
    Did you lol? Or was it more of rofl?
    Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without trying to invent any more of it.

"First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    There are fans who complain about the staples in our books. Fans have complained since FAntastic Four #1. It's nothing to get too concerned about and in fact it's part of the fun of Marvel Comics.

I wouldn't get so overwrought about it if I were you.

SW
    Who's overwrought? And surely some complaints should be taken seriously? Anyways, I was just wondering. But okay. Never mind.

As I said, if you voice your opinion publicly, expect to get a response. You may not like the response, but you're the one who put your opinion out there. It's really that simple. If you live in a bubble, you will never get offended. If you talk and express ideas publicly, you may sometimes hear things you don't like.

Your other option, of course, is to ignore people who hurt your feelings. It's especially easy on a message board because you can literally hit the ignore button.
    Are you for real?

Spider Powered Time Lord Spider-Mike's Avatar

Are you for real?
    No. It's the personification of your inner anxiety sitting at a desk, typing your nightmares!
    SPIDER-MAN: Hey there, my name's Spider-Man, and this is my trusty sidekick Wolverine!
    WOLVERINE: *Growls*
    (Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes)

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Mike View Post
    No. It's the personification of your inner anxiety sitting at a desk, typing your nightmares!
    Oh, okay. I get it. Funny.

Spider Powered Time Lord Spider-Mike's Avatar

Oh, okay. I get it. Funny.
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!

*Waves arms*

:-)
    SPIDER-MAN: Hey there, my name's Spider-Man, and this is my trusty sidekick Wolverine!
    WOLVERINE: *Growls*
    (Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes)

Are you for real?
    What was wrong with Kevin's statement? It's spot on. I'm reading it trying to figure out what you are in disbelief about.
    Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without trying to invent any more of it.

"First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."