Page 127 of 182 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137177 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 2723
  1. #1891
    .
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    24,789

    Default

    I swear some people enjoy being butthurt.

  2. #1892
    Future XPOTM Majinoaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    9,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    I disagree. Nitpicking every detail of an issue including making up potential rape cases, spending time telling an Editor how they should act online, calling people trollish.... these are all examples of users continuing to behave in ways that spark such behavior.

    Its a circle, not a line.
    That whole rape discussion made me ill. Posters, you took this stuff waaaaaaay too far. not editorial... but the posters did who labeled this as such. It was a disgusting display.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    Are you implying I did this? When did this happen?

    In college I think you studied "Pre-Mad"

    SW
    I think you need to make sure that the Cardiac series launches in August.
    Quote Originally Posted by Home made ectoplasm View Post
    I swear some people enjoy being butthurt.
    Not me. i actually won. This should be the year of the Majin. Cardiac is coming back and the Spider-Man stories are fresh and as enjoyable as ever. It might be time for me to retire.
    Check out the O.A.W. Report at www.majinoaw.blogspot.com. You want to see why I say the things I do or understand what's in my head... this is the place to go.

  3. #1893
    My Turn. Kevin Nichols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    6,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    If a 49ers fan got on a message board to vent after the loss, I wouldn't expect the players to show up there and mock him for not knowing anything about what really happens.
    I also wouldn't expect anybody on the management side to show up there and start defending the team either. It's just not generally accepted practice. And in fact, when someone representing the company does fire off at discontent fans, they get publicly reprimanded for it.

    I get that it may be different within comic books since the niche is so small, and people's buying habits are what they are. But there is still a clear difference, in my opinion.

    And again, even within comics, there are dozens of creators with online presences, all of whom receive criticism at some point or another online. They don't all bust in here though and start calling the fans names.
    This happens a good bit though. When the Packers lost to the Seahawks this year because of that lousy interception call, there were tons of sports professionals telling fans that they didn't understand the rules and so they shouldn't be upset.

    On Leno the other night, Charles Barkley said that Dwight Howard's father needs to "shut the hell up" because he's not involved in the game and doesn't know what's going on.

    People are going to say what they are going to say. If you find it insulting, don't listen. Or go on being insulted, whatever floats your boat. However, you shouldn't expect to be able to change someone else's behavior.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

  4. #1894
    Elder Member The Batman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Otisburg, USA.
    Posts
    10,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    Are you implying I did this? When did this happen?

    In college I think you studied "Pre-Mad"

    SW

    Sad trombone....

  5. #1895
    Moderator Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    23,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    If a 49ers fan got on a message board to vent after the loss, I wouldn't expect the players to show up there and mock him for not knowing anything about what really happens.
    I also wouldn't expect anybody on the management side to show up there and start defending the team either. It's just not generally accepted practice. And in fact, when someone representing the company does fire off at discontent fans, they get publicly reprimanded for it.

    I get that it may be different within comic books since the niche is so small, and people's buying habits are what they are. But there is still a clear difference, in my opinion.

    And again, even within comics, there are dozens of creators with online presences, all of whom receive criticism at some point or another online. They don't all bust in here though and start calling the fans names.
    I don't know if the football thing is a good example, because we're not talking about losers. Many of the arguments are about whether the win could have been bigger.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    It's a great question, and it's where the real tension lies.

    Is CBR Boards a forum for fans to talk comics, or do they need to walk on eggshells lest they insult a writer's feelings?
    So should writers and editors walk on eggshells to avoid insulting the feelings of fans?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

    Formerly,
    Cyberman

    Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

  6. #1896
    Moderator Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    23,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poneley View Post
    I see Gail's point (thank you for posting that.) I imagine that would be like Chris Claremont suddenly sitting at the lunch table that you and your friends are using and suddenly arguing that everyone is being unfair with their unfiltered and private conversations about his work. But this stuff is not private, its a public forum. My disconnect is that the community has always had a long history of interaction between fans and creators that stemmed from the early days of letter pages, to conventions and now message boards. Maybe the best option is for creators to be more absent from the boards? I still see no problem with them giving a snarky response to a rude post-- that was birthed the day we had creator panels at conventions.
    These aren't unfiltered private conversations. This is stuff we're all putting up for public consumption. That comes with a higher responsibility on certain things. There's more of an obligation to get the facts right (it's often easy to google) and to express yourself in a clear manner.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

    Formerly,
    Cyberman

    Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

  7. #1897
    One Hoopy Frood Schmed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    6,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Majinoaw View Post
    That whole rape discussion made me ill. Posters, you took this stuff waaaaaaay too far. not editorial... but the posters did who labeled this as such. It was a disgusting display.

    It really was. QFT.
    Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without trying to invent any more of it.

    "First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."

  8. #1898
    My Turn. Kevin Nichols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    6,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schmed View Post
    It really was. QFT.
    QFT isn't a word. Idiot!
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

  9. #1899
    Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In Moderator land
    Posts
    28,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    But . . . that is a line . . . since the behavior continues you still get (2) people "telling an Editor how they should act online" and (3) calling people trollish . . . That's not a circle. i.e. if it did indeed cease, people would no longer be claiming (2) or (3).
    Thats a circle.

    If one constantly repeats step 1 and it leads to step 2, which leads to step 3.... and that in turn leads back to step 1... thats a circle. Think of it like a globe. While you are on the line it looks linear, yet the world you trace is circular.


    And in regards to (1) fans keep picking apart comic books - You think that should change? Fans should only focus on positives? Simply, if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all.
    Not at all, but I do think the way its done at times breeds the reactions that are being complained about in this thread.

  10. #1900
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

    So should writers and editors walk on eggshells to avoid insulting a writer's feelings?
    I assume you mean fans, but it generally doesn't work that way as the fan puts nothing up to criticize, while the writer and editors do. Unless they start posting fan fiction, then by all means, judge away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majinoaw
    ;16630785
    That whole rape discussion made me ill. Posters, you took this stuff waaaaaaay too far. not editorial... but the posters did who labeled this as such. It was a disgusting display.
    Yeah, I thought about just giving up on the site after that thing. \
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

    As a former McDonalds employee/assistant manager.... I would give back rudeness to overly rude customers. Hell I watched my boss tell someone that the sign says 1 million served and that he didnt need that customers business.

    Funny enough the guy was back the next weekend buying the same big mac.
    Funnily enough I have worked at McDonalds (and friends have worked retail.) and this is honestly my exact opposite experience. I am sure you have heard the mantra "The customer is always right" which is a big thing in retail and fast food joints. They will bend over backwards to accommodate a customer so much that we actually had a customer that we knew would come in and lie about getting her food wrong to get more free food. She did this because she knew we could do nothing about it. Its been a while but I doubt anythings changed on that front.
    Last edited by charlesthehammer; 02-14-2013 at 09:23 PM.

  11. #1901
    Veteran Member Ari Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    Thats a circle.

    If one constantly repeats step 1 and it leads to step 2, which leads to step 3.... and that in turn leads back to step 1... thats a circle. Think of it like a globe. While you are on the line it looks linear, yet the world you trace is circular.

    Not at all, but I do think the way its done at times breeds the reactions that are being complained about in this thread.
    But as you said . . . there's nothing wrong with repeating Step 1. Step 1 is a part of being a comic book message board, sometimes there will be things you like, and sometimes there will be things you don't like.

    And if there's nothing wrong with that, which you appear to agree with, it shouldn't constantly be met with ridicule and belittlement from the creators.

    EDIT: I think the problem seems to be that you're working from a premise that Mr. Wacker and/or Slott are provoked to respond a certain way by how the readers/fans address them.

    This is confusing to me because I have been in several conversations where posters are talking among themselves and Mr. Wacker drops in and begins mocking a poster for seemingly no reason other than that poster expressed an opinion negative of Marvel.

    You then seem to suggest that since Mr. Wacker is a proud employee of Marvel, any time a fan criticizes it, it is like a personal affront and he deserves the right to respond in kind.

    And it is this level of interaction that I wish would change on the Boards. Where users should be free to post how they feel about a particular direction without expecting some childish response calling them names and not addressing their actual points of criticism.

    P.S. I like how moderators can edit their own messages and don't get the little "Last edited" note at the bottom.
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 02-14-2013 at 09:27 PM.

  12. #1902
    Veteran Member Ari Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Home made ectoplasm View Post
    I swear some people enjoy being butthurt.
    This guy's funny.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    This happens a good bit though. When the Packers lost to the Seahawks this year because of that lousy interception call, there were tons of sports professionals telling fans that they didn't understand the rules and so they shouldn't be upset.
    I could be wrong. I certainly don't scour every NFL message board. Did you come across all that many where sports professionals were mocking fans for not understanding the rules?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    On Leno the other night, Charles Barkley said that Dwight Howard's father needs to "shut the hell up" because he's not involved in the game and doesn't know what's going on.
    And if Mr. Wacker or Mr. Slott wanted to get on Jimmy Kimmel and make fun of the fans, we'd have a comparable situation . . . Or when Charles Barkley shows up in the CBR NBA thread b/c when someone says Shaq sucks as a commentator. But I don't see the relevance to Barkley's Leno segment and the situation we're discussing here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    People are going to say what they are going to say. If you find it insulting, don't listen. Or go on being insulted, whatever floats your boat. However, you shouldn't expect to be able to change someone else's behavior.
    . . . It's only insulting because he's literally saying insults . . . I could "not listen" or . . . he could stop insulting people who say negative things about Marvel. I just don't think that's what I want from a message board; a place where having negative opinions deserves the insults of Marvel professionals.

  13. #1903
    Veteran Member Ari Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't know if the football thing is a good example, because we're not talking about losers. Many of the arguments are about whether the win could have been bigger.
    I think you're being overly specific in order to evade a relevant comparison. Take for example a baseball team. The fans could spend all off-season arguing about free agents or trades the team should or shouldn't have made. Nobody's talking about losers. It would still be inappropriate for the team's employees to step in there and make fun of the fans criticizing the team.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    So should writers and editors walk on eggshells to avoid insulting the feelings of fans?
    If my football example wasn't a good one, this certainly shouldn't qualify. But assuming that the comparison was relevant, I would still think the fans should be treated respectfully. But still not really the point.

    If every time I say something negative about double-shipping or a book I didn't like, I am simultaneously personally insulting Mr. Wacker, then we are left with a few possible outcomes.
    1) I could stop saying negative things about Marvel, so as not to personally offend him.
    2) He could stop taking personal offense to fans criticizing Marvel.
    3) We can continue as is. But seemingly nobody will be happy.

    It seems that most comic book professionals take approach #2. They either ignore the criticism, or don't feel the need to fight back at the fan for expressing a negative opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    These aren't unfiltered private conversations. This is stuff we're all putting up for public consumption. That comes with a higher responsibility on certain things. There's more of an obligation to get the facts right (it's often easy to google) and to express yourself in a clear manner.
    Yes, but you seem to be working under a false premise. Nobody here is arguing that Mr. Wacker, Mr. Slott or any other professional shouldn't correct a fan who is wrong. We may be asking to be treated more politely when doing so, but that's still not the main part of the discussion. We're talking about instances where the creators are not looking to correct mis-information, they are simply looking to poke at fans who voice a negative opinion.

  14. #1904
    100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    I personally save negative comments for work and not individuals, but if I called someone a hack and they got back to me, they just went from a hack to a creepy hack. Those that don't think less of you still aren't gonna be impressed by the way you freaked out on a public forum.
    So, you admit you maintain a double standard? You can post what you want for the public to see, but any responses are automatically creepy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramage View Post
    Lord knows, I would fire Wacker if I could. But alas, even as a Disney shareholder, I can't get to him.

    So as long as he remains competent in his job or kisses the right ass, he can say whatever he wants on line without repercussions. He's untouchable.
    ^Nobody ever provokes saracastic responses from Wacker. Regular ole posters never say things that might elicit a negative response. Nope, doesn't happen
    "I'm sending him a bouquet of cans."

    SW

  15. #1905
    100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    If a 49ers fan got on a message board to vent after the loss, I wouldn't expect the players to show up there and mock him for not knowing anything about what really happens.
    I also wouldn't expect anybody on the management side to show up there and start defending the team either. It's just not generally accepted practice. And in fact, when someone representing the company does fire off at discontent fans, they get publicly reprimanded for it.
    so....what's your point? Other businesses handle their customer relations differently? Success!
    "I'm sending him a bouquet of cans."

    SW

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •