Page 78 of 182 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128178 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 2723
  1. #1156
    One Hoopy Frood Schmed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    6,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Sure, and if you take a few offensive words out of the things people here are whining about that get said to Wacker & Slott, then they wouldn't be a big deal either . . .
    Yeah, make the criticism constructive and it's really not that bad at all. But pissing, moaning and name calling isn't the way to go. As with any discussion about the behavior of public figures we also have to examine how we, the public, interact with them too. I think we can agree that every time Wacker "snarks" somebody it didn't just fall out of the sky, there was some back and forth/misleading statements that lead to it.
    Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without trying to invent any more of it.

    "First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."

  2. #1157
    Man of Marvel Raphael Edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Il.
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    So you believe everyone has to like everyone? Calling a writer lazy is taking a shot at them. Telling a writer you dont like them is pointless but at least you arent name calling and attack them.

    How does my post saying that I think you're trying to be obtuse translate to having to like everyone?

    Taking a shot at them by calling them lazy is far less offensive than not liking their personal existence.



    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Why? "B" suggests that the person doesn't take their work seriously. It has an impact on the quality of the material.
    And A, the far worse one, puts them off from even being necessary. I'd think a writer would easily get over someone taking a small shot at them calling them lazy as compared to saying that you don't even value them as a human being, but maybe that's just me.

  3. #1158
    Man of Marvel Raphael Edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Il.
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    There's a difference between being angry at a character's nefarious actions and being angry at a writer because you don't approve of how he used your toy.

    Not getting mad at comic writers over stories we don't like is a good starting indication.
    My dude, have you even at least attempted to look at Schmed's previous posts? He went back and forth, a.k.a flip-flopped, on both positions saying at first he never got upset at any work of "serial fiction" then changed that to "creators" to now playing the semantic game by saying I was talking about the actual "physical comic".


    Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    What happened in 1995?

    Bonkers was created. >_>

  4. #1159
    Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In Moderator land
    Posts
    28,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    EDIT: So to be clear, if I posted in a comment on Wacker that I don't like him as a person, we'd all be cool with that? But when I say I don't like how he belittles criticism of Marvel with ad hominem attacks, then I'm out of line?
    It would honestly depend on what words you chose to use. I have no problem with you stating you dont like him because you feel he belittles/attacks others. Now if you go further to name calling or what not, you are violating rules. Likewise, hes perfectly fine in saying he doesnt like you too. Although, Id prefer you just place him on ignore and keep him there. Saves you from accidentally going too far. (See my posts again, i also find such things to be pointless)

  5. #1160
    One Hoopy Frood Schmed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    6,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Edwards View Post
    My dude, have you even at least attempted to look at Schmed's previous posts? He went back and forth, a.k.a flip-flopped, on both positions saying at first he never got upset at any work of "serial fiction" then changed that to "creators" to now playing the semantic game by saying I was talking about the actual "physical comic".
    Let it go man, you're frothing at the mouth over here. Everyone else got exactly what I was saying, so much so I've gotten PM's about it. It's time to stop flogging the dead horse Ralph.
    Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without trying to invent any more of it.

    "First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."

  6. #1161
    Man of Marvel Raphael Edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Il.
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schmed View Post
    Let it go man, you're frothing at the mouth over here. Everyone else got exactly what I was saying, so much so I've gotten PM's about it. It's time to stop flogging the dead horse Ralph.
    You're nothing to "froth" over. Don't flatter yourself.

    I called you out on your BS, and you dodged the questions like a politician.

  7. #1162
    Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In Moderator land
    Posts
    28,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Edwards View Post
    How does my post saying that I think you're trying to be obtuse translate to having to like everyone?
    Considering im not being obtuse because one of said comments comes close to breaking a rule (IMO it pretty much does) and the other is just a pointless statment of personal fact... I still believe "B" is far worse. As to why it moves to that.... its human nature to not like everyone, you believing "A" is worse makes me question whether you believe that or not?

    Taking a shot at them by calling them lazy is far less offensive than not liking their personal existence.
    Again do you feel everyone has to like one another? If not everyone is going to like everyone else, how is it more offensive to be told you arent liked personally by someone... than to be called a name and have your work ethics called into question?




    And A, the far worse one, puts them off from even being necessary. I'd think a writer would easily get over someone taking a small shot at them calling them lazy as compared to saying that you don't even value them as a human being, but maybe that's just me.
    I think its just you, many of us know that others dont like us personally. I know a few posters here hate my guts. They are allowed to as its only human. However name calling and attacking are not allowed.

  8. #1163
    Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In Moderator land
    Posts
    28,618

    Default

    Id also say its time to let the conversation of what Schmed said or didnt say go.

  9. #1164
    One Hoopy Frood Schmed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    6,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Edwards View Post
    You're nothing to "froth" over. Don't flatter yourself.

    I called you out on your BS, and you dodged the questions like a politician.
    Settle down Ralph.
    Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without trying to invent any more of it.

    "First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."

  10. #1165
    Man of Marvel Raphael Edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Il.
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    Considering im not being obtuse because one of said comments comes close to breaking a rule (IMO it pretty much does) and the other is just a pointless statment of personal fact... I still believe "B" is far worse. As to why it moves to that.... its human nature to not like everyone, you believing "A" is worse makes me question whether you believe that or not?
    I think A is worse because as I said it calls that creators existence into question. To me, that sounds like a bigger step of an insult than "*insert writer here* is lazy". In the end aren't they both pointless statements of personal fact?

    And no, I don't think that at all, but me believing A is worse has no bearing on that anyway. I'm speaking in terms of what's a violation of the rules in these types of topics on this public a forum because to me it comes off as more of an insult than B does.



    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    Again do you feel everyone has to like one another? If not everyone is going to like everyone else, how is it more offensive to be told you arent liked personally by someone... than to be called a name and have your work ethics called into question?
    Because someone saying "I don't like you as a human being" is far worse than someone telling me I'm "lazy".


    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    I think its just you, many of us know that others dont like us personally. I know a few posters here hate my guts. They are allowed to as its only human. However name calling and attacking are not allowed.
    Nah, it's more than me naturally as Ari called it into question to begin with. But you know what, let's agree to disagree I suppose.

    .

  11. #1166
    Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In Moderator land
    Posts
    28,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Edwards View Post
    I think A is worse because as I said it calls that creators existence into question. To me, that sounds like a bigger step of an insult than "*insert writer here* is lazy". In the end aren't they both pointless statements of personal fact?

    And no, I don't think that at all, but me believing A is worse has no bearing on that anyway. I'm speaking in terms of what's a violation of the rules in these types of topics on this public a forum because to me it comes off as more of an insult than B does.

    Because someone saying "I don't like you as a human being" is far worse than someone telling me I'm "lazy".
    I disagree in this case because it is not him being called lazy its his writing being called lazy. Thats his job and a creative expression of himself. Its a two fold insult, where as someone thinking someone is a terrible human being is pretty common, unless again you feel everyone should like everyone else.

    But I will agree that they are both mostly pointless. (In fact I think the term "lazy writing" has been used so much for "story i dislike" that its begun to lose its meaning.)

    Nah, it's more than me naturally as Ari called it into question to begin with. But you know what, let's agree to disagree I suppose.
    My response was in direct reply to your words. You said "maybe its just me", If you didnt mean that.... why say it?

  12. #1167
    Veteran Member Ari Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    (In fact I think the term "lazy writing" has been used so much for "story i dislike" that its begun to lose its meaning.)
    Agreed. Which is why I don't think it's nearly as offensive as an actual, personal insult. But to each his own.

  13. #1168
    Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In Moderator land
    Posts
    28,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Agreed. Which is why I don't think it's nearly as offensive as an actual, personal insult. But to each his own.
    Its more a justification of why one wouldnt get upset. Hell said person may be using it correctly this time. (the fun of hypothetical situations)

  14. #1169
    Senior Member oldschool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    10,556

    Default

    I think it was Malcolm Forbes who said "To be agreeable while disagreeing---that's an art". Seems to me we could all take a cue from a man who not only made billions, but knew how to have a civil discourse.

    One more tidbit from the same man: "Keeping score of old scores and scars,getting even and one-upping, always make you less than what you are."

    I think the vast majority of us here on these boards are knowledgable and passionate fans with a lot to contribute to conversation but we seem to get side-tracked with trying to win "imaginary internet argument points" way too often. I really try to stay out of these circular and no-win arguments; perhaps these reminder quotes from a wise man can help us avoid even a few of them in the future.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

  15. #1170
    Man of Marvel Raphael Edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Il.
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    I disagree in this case because it is not him being called lazy its his writing being called lazy. Thats his job and a creative expression of himself. Its a two fold insult, where as someone thinking someone is a terrible human being is pretty common, unless again you feel everyone should like everyone else.
    Excuse me here but, so what? It's his writing being called lazy. A, has his entirety of humanity being worthless. That > lazy writing to me simply because it encompasses more and says that his writing is of little to no consequence in the grand scheme of things. Unless you think a writer or any artist values a personal opinion of their writing over their existence common or not. I'm sure they've experienced both enough times.


    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    My response was in direct reply to your words. You said "maybe its just me", If you didnt mean that.... why say it?
    It was just a saying. Not sure why it was worth mentioning anymore honestly.
    Last edited by Raphael Edwards; 01-07-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •