Page 73 of 182 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 2723
  1. #1081
    Dying Wish goes "Boink" Farmernudie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,284

    Default

    of course! :)

    ...speaking of which..i haven't even SEEN coco since my return...where is he??...hopefully not in your refrigerator?!? ;)
    Ok....Superior Spider-Man is kinda interesting, i admit....that being said....i miss Peter Parker and that there isn't a "real" spider-man monthly being published

  2. #1082
    One Hoopy Frood Schmed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    6,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Farmernudie View Post
    of course! :)

    ...speaking of which..i haven't even SEEN coco since my return...where is he??...hopefully not in your refrigerator?!? ;)
    He better not be in there! THAT'S WERE I KEEP MY FOOD!!!
    Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without trying to invent any more of it.

    "First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."

  3. #1083
    Man of Marvel Raphael Edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Il.
    Posts
    544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schmed View Post
    He better not be in there! THAT'S WERE I KEEP MY FOOD!!!
    Is that what you're calling those girls you kept in there now?

  4. #1084
    Just Sayin'
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Middle of Hell, OH
    Posts
    8,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    When I call them lazy it is an opinion on how they write and I can't think of any other word that describes the laxity of continuity.
    It's still an insult.
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

  5. #1085
    Just Sayin'
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Middle of Hell, OH
    Posts
    8,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    I just don't believe this, though I do believe you've never gotten seething mad over a game, or carried an anger about because of a game. But I'd be amazed if you never, ever got angry while playing a game.
    Some people can separate fiction and reality. Crazy, I know.

    Before you say anything, yes I've been pissed when I played a game, like if I don't beat a boss or whatever, but it's not the type of anger I carry with me for years and years or even a few minutes. It passes quickly because IT'S JUST A FUCKING VIDEO GAME (sorry for the cursing mods). Let me just say, I agree with Schmed, I find it bizarre to get mad at a comic book.
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

  6. #1086
    One Hoopy Frood Schmed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    6,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Brown View Post
    Some people can separate fiction and reality. Crazy, I know.

    Before you say anything, yes I've been pissed when I played a game, like if I don't beat a boss or whatever, but it's not the type of anger I carry with me for years and years or even a few minutes. It passes quickly because IT'S JUST A FUCKING VIDEO GAME (sorry for the cursing mods). Let me just say, I agree with Schmed, I find it bizarre to get mad at a comic book.

    That's the short and long of it. Also, I think we can get away with the occasional swear word or two..

























































































    FUCK!!
    Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without trying to invent any more of it.

    "First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."

  7. #1087
    Man of Marvel Raphael Edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Il.
    Posts
    544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Brown View Post
    Let me just say, I agree with Schmed, I find it bizarre to get mad at a comic book.
    I find it bizarre that anyone who has been following anything for years, particularly a continued story as we have in comics, don't get upset or angry over things here and there. Sounds like a disconnect to me. Like maybe the writer isn't doing their job well enough for you or something.
    Last edited by Raphael Edwards; 01-05-2013 at 07:59 PM.

  8. #1088
    Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In Moderator land
    Posts
    28,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Edwards View Post
    I find it bizarre that anyone who has been following anything for years, particularly a continued story as we have in comics, don't get upset or angry over things here and there. Sounds like a disconnect to me. Like maybe the writer isn't doing their job well enough for you or something.
    Sounds normal to me. If a book doesnt entertain me / bores me or I just dislike it, I drop it. I dont have time or the energy to let myself get angry at a book. If i begin to dislike the direction, it falls off my list.

  9. #1089
    Man of Marvel Raphael Edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Il.
    Posts
    544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    Sounds normal to me. If a book doesnt entertain me / bores me or I just dislike it, I drop it. I dont have time or the energy to let myself get angry at a book. If i begin to dislike the direction, it falls off my list.
    Do you honestly think, Schmed and Mikey here are on this board discussing this character and recent events because they dislike and find themselves not entertained by this book? Really?

    It's not normal to invest in something and have no emotional connection. It's as was said, bizarre.

  10. #1090
    Moderator Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    23,004

    Default

    There's a major distinction between the two ways you can get upset at a work of art.

    You can be upset by something when you're supposed to feel that way. For example, I really don't like Fantine's coworkers from the "At the End of the Day" sequence of Les Miserables. They're horrible, nasty people. But I'm not angry at Tom Hooper or Victor Hugo. I acknowledge the craft.

    You can also be upset because of something that you feel an artist does wrong. This often occurs with the violation of something that's a personal taboo. I remember some people who were glad to see South Park mock religion and celebrity get angry at the show's take on the Writers Guild strikes. It's often due to a disagreement over what you believe the artist is saying about the way the world works.

    "It was totally unfair how Spider-Man died" is an example of the former.

    "The cynics at Marvel killed Spider-Man because they don't know how to write true heroes" is an example of the latter.

    It's considered more acceptable to express your outrage at the latter than the former, although that could just be snobbery. One problem with the discussion is that we're sometimes conflating the two.

    If we can rationalize our reasons for objecting to a work of art, we should be able to discuss it without losing our cool. Part of functioning in human society is the ability to discuss disagreements civilly, even if we believe the other guy's mistakes have tremendous consequences. So I don't think fans can claim it should be okay to act like jerks, just because a work of art upset them.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

    Formerly,
    Cyberman

    Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

  11. #1091
    Man of Marvel Raphael Edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Il.
    Posts
    544

    Default

    Sometimes a mixture of the two happen I've seen. I've seen many movies where the antagonist left me upset and I had a negative notion of that actor in real life afterward. Of course it faded away, but it still happens I think.

    But regardless of that, I find it really odd that one can constantly read, watch or play something and say that they have no emotional reactions, whether it be anger, sadness or happiness whatsoever. It doesn't seem likely.

  12. #1092
    Just Sayin'
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Middle of Hell, OH
    Posts
    8,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Edwards View Post
    I find it bizarre that anyone who has been following anything for years, particularly a continued story as we have in comics, don't get upset or angry over things here and there. Sounds like a disconnect to me. Like maybe the writer isn't doing their job well enough for you or something.
    I know that these are made up stories. They're nothing to get upset about. If I don't like something then I stop reading it, it's that simple.
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

  13. #1093
    Just Sayin'
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Middle of Hell, OH
    Posts
    8,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Edwards View Post
    Do you honestly think, Schmed and Mikey here are on this board discussing this character and recent events because they dislike and find themselves not entertained by this book? Really?

    It's not normal to invest in something and have no emotional connection. It's as was said, bizarre.
    I am emotionally connected, but I still realize that these are not real people and the stories are made up. And I'm here discussing the recent change in Spider-Man because I am interested in the direction Slott is taking the story. Again, if I don't like the story/direction/creative team then I just don't read it. I recently found myself not interested in Scarlet Spider. I gave it a few issues just in case I started enjoying it again, but I didn't so I dropped it. I'm certainly not mad about anything that Yost was doing, it just wasn't for me. I'm not gonna get pissed because the title isn't going the way I want it, that's selfish.
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

  14. #1094
    Just Sayin'
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Middle of Hell, OH
    Posts
    8,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Edwards View Post
    Sometimes a mixture of the two happen I've seen. I've seen many movies where the antagonist left me upset and I had a negative notion of that actor in real life afterward. Of course it faded away, but it still happens I think.

    But regardless of that, I find it really odd that one can constantly read, watch or play something and say that they have no emotional reactions, whether it be anger, sadness or happiness whatsoever. It doesn't seem likely.
    I don't think I or Schmed or Shaggy said that we had no emotional connection to these stories. I'm not sure where you're getting that.
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

  15. #1095
    Man of Marvel Raphael Edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Il.
    Posts
    544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Brown View Post
    I know that these are made up stories. They're nothing to get upset about. If I don't like something then I stop reading it, it's that simple.

    Just to let you know, you can multi-quote if you click on the furthest icon under a message.

    I don't think you're being honest to me or yourself if you can claim that these made up stories have never got you upset. But let me ask you, how long have you been reading Spider-Man? What's the longest book you remember following? Or hell, do you treat all made up stories this way in all media?

    Why even follow anything if your connection is so minuscule?



    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Brown View Post
    I am emotionally connected, but I still realize that these are not real people and the stories are made up. And I'm here discussing the recent change in Spider-Man because I am interested in the direction Slott is taking the story. Again, if I don't like the story/direction/creative team then I just don't read it. I recently found myself not interested in Scarlet Spider. I gave it a few issues just in case I started enjoying it again, but I didn't so I dropped it. I'm certainly not mad about anything that Yost was doing, it just wasn't for me. I'm not gonna get pissed because the title isn't going the way I want it, that's selfish.
    In anything you like/love reading/watching it's normal for people to want things to go a certain way, and get upset or disappointed when it doesn't. It's a bit selfish, but that's human nature.

    And you're talking about a new book in which you only gave a few issues of your time, while people are talking about a book and character who they've been following for decades. It's a big difference of time, dedication and emotion between the two.



    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Brown View Post
    I don't think I or Schmed or Shaggy said that we had no emotional connection to these stories. I'm not sure where you're getting that.

    It's a hyperbolic statement because of you and Schmed's claim of no anger on your parts on anything made up, and I call shenanigans.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •