Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 257
  1. #181
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    somewhere nice
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    We see him then floating there. You assume he made a sudden stop. Your assumptions aren't automatically right because you say they are you know.
    No, it's not because I said so.

    It's because that's how the feat is depicted in the story. Whether you like it or not.

  2. #182
    Member Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oshawa, Canada
    Posts
    963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Man View Post
    No, it's not because I said so.

    It's because that's how the feat is depicted in the story. Whether you like it or not.
    Except it isn't. Whether you like it or not we just see him floating there. We know he did in fact travel FTL but we do not know if he made a sudden stop. It was not described as if he did that. He see him there, hovering. That's it.

  3. #183

    Default

    X
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Man View Post

    No, it's from our perspective. We are the one's reading it and seeing what happened.

    Though, Red Hood is the one narrating the story.
    Semantics.

    Its from the perspective of us, the readers, who are watching Red Hood talking and interacting with people at normal human speed and we didn't even have Superman on panel until he'd already stopped (and since his cape was flapping in the wind instead of still flying forward once he was on panel, he presumably had stopped long enough for it to have stoped as well, though of course, comic book physics might not care about capeodynamics).

    It was not told from the perspective of a reader who was keeping track of Superman at insanely superhuman speeds during his trip. Hell, we can't even say HOW Clark found them, much less how long it took him to stop. Therefore, not a reflex feat beyond "superhuman. "
    Fox Mr. Sinister (holding Rogue's chin): "So beautiful, yet so strong."

    Fox Wolverine: "Well, I always did think I was kinda cute. Nice of you to mention it."

    Official Board Ostrichizer

  4. #184
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    somewhere nice
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Except it isn't. Whether you like it or not we just see him floating there. We know he did in fact travel FTL but we do not know if he made a sudden stop. It was not described as if he did that. He see him there, hovering. That's it.
    No, we see him come to an abrupt stop. That is where he stopped his flight.

    We see and hear nothing else to suggest otherwise.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    X
    Semantics.

    Its from the perspective of us, the readers, who are watching Red Hood talking and interacting with people at normal human speed and we didn't even have Superman on panel until he'd already stopped (and since his cape was flapping in the wind instead of still flying forward once he was on panel, he presumably had stopped long enough for it to have stoped as well, though of course, comic book physics might not care about capeodynamics).

    It was not told from the perspective of a reader who was keeping track of Superman at insanely superhuman speeds during his trip. Hell, we can't even say HOW Clark found them, much less how long it took him to stop. Therefore, not a reflex feat beyond "superhuman. "
    Pedantic assertations.

    We should simply take the feat at face value if there is nothing in-story to warrant otherwise. The cape flapping proves nothing. As I said before, physics do not correlate correctly in fiction.
    Last edited by Gram; 12-24-2012 at 03:01 PM.

  5. #185
    Blind Resolve Hazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,567

    Default

    Okay so, just for fun take #2.

    Using the New York Academy of Medicine's Library claim of it having over 550,000 volumes.

    Like before lets assume each book has 1000 pages and that each page takes 1 minute to reach for a regular human.

    So, 550,000,000 minutes.

    Now let's change that into seconds, because seconds are cooler and easier to work with.

    550000000*60 = 33000000000 seconds. It would take you that to read all books there.

    Now let's go with the logic from the first calculation. If you are X times faster Y, you can do everything Y does X times faster.


    Now if your average joe can run at 10m/s (He can't actually. This is faster than most humans save Olympic athletes, but once again this is a high end).

    Now sound speed is at 340 m/s, so that's 34 times faster than a regular human.

    Actually you know what? Let's raise the time to 34 000 000 000 seconds. Make it easier for me.

    So if you're 34 times faster, you will do what takes a regular human 34 000 000 000 seconds in just 1 000 000 000.

    Now let's go 1000 times faster than that (Mach 1000)

    It would take you 1 000 000 seconds to read it all.

    Now again a thousand times faster (Mach 1 000 000)

    It would take you 1 000 seconds to read it all.

    Now just double it (Mach 2, 000,000) to make it 500 seconds. That's one hundred less than the 600 seconds (10 minutes) Superman did it in.

    That's a little more than twice the speed of light. It is also absurdly high end given that I used one of the largest collections of medical books, assumed they all have one thousand pages, and so on.

    Mind you, this is all assuming this method actually works, which I'm not even sure. Brains are so not my specialty.

    Edit: Wait, it's actually 5 minutes (300 seconds). Forgot about that. Meh, double it again. Four times the speed of light. Kind of.
    Last edited by Hazard; 12-24-2012 at 03:03 PM.

  6. #186
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    somewhere nice
    Posts
    406

    Default

    That seems pretty good to be honest.

    Though, the Pluto to Earth feat still puts Kal-El at higher speeds than that.

  7. #187
    Member Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oshawa, Canada
    Posts
    963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Man View Post
    No, we see him come to an abrupt stop. That is where he stopped his flight.

    We see and hear nothing else to suggest otherwise.



    Pedantic assertations.

    We should simply take the feat at face value if there is nothing in-story to warrant otherwise.
    We aren't going to take it at face value because you say so. There is nothing from the scene that proves your theory.

    Unless there is sometime in the story that he traveled at the insane FTL speeds that he did in that issue and made a sudden stop due to ftl reflex's, and was actually shown to us other than him floating in one place. Then we should not take it at face value. Take another look at the scan I posted. We actually see the feat happening. We read about it, we see him dragging along the planets. In another issue we have that supes moving so fast he is about to bust into heaven. We see him doing this, it is explained to us via narrator and then again by the Specter.

    You are trying to say he has super reflex's merely because he is floating there. He traveled at FTL speeds. But that is all we know.

  8. #188
    Member Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oshawa, Canada
    Posts
    963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Man View Post
    That seems pretty good to be honest.

    Though, the Pluto to Earth feat still puts Kal-El at higher speeds than that.

    It doesn't.

  9. #189
    Blind Resolve Hazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Man View Post
    That seems pretty good to be honest.

    Though, the Pluto to Earth feat still puts Kal-El at higher speeds than that.
    It's a fictional value though. The actual number would be way lower due to, well, the stuff I list at the end.

    Had it been like Metroman's feat (blink of an eye as opposed to minutes) the value would be higher.

  10. #190
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    somewhere nice
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    We aren't going to take it at face value because you say so. There is nothing from the scene that proves your theory.

    Unless there is sometime in the story that he traveled at the insane FTL speeds that he did in that issue and made a sudden stop due to ftl reflex's, and was actually shown to us other than him floating in one place. Then we should not take it at face value. Take another look at the scan I posted. We actually see the feat happening. We read about it, we see him dragging along the planets. In another issue we have that supes moving so fast he is about to bust into heaven. We see him doing this, it is explained to us via narrator and then again by the Specter.

    You are trying to say he has super reflex's merely because he is floating there. He traveled at FTL speeds. But that is all we know.
    We also know that he stopped his flight near Red Hood.

    That's a fact from what we can see in the scans. Any other assumptions are unwarranted and baseless. Also, if every feat had to be explained in detail then the DBZ side would also be much slower.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    It doesn't.
    It does.

  11. #191
    Blind Resolve Hazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,567

    Default

    Dudes, seeing as we are entering a yes no argument.

    Wait a day or two for a mod to settle this.

    In the meantime, sit back, relax, go to a Christmas party. Whatever you wish to, just stop the thread from growing another three pages overnight.
    Last edited by Hazard; 12-24-2012 at 03:21 PM.

  12. #192
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    somewhere nice
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Okay, that's something I can agree with.

  13. #193
    Member Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oshawa, Canada
    Posts
    963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Man View Post
    We also know that he stopped his flight near Red Hood.

    That's a fact from what we can see in the scans. Any other assumptions are unwarranted and baseless. Also, if every feat had to be explained in detail then the DBZ side would also be much slower.



    It does.
    He stopped his flight. That doesn't mean he was moving at FTL speeds when he did. The only one seeing otherwise is you. Cause guess what? it isn't a reliable scan and it does not show he has ftl reflex's. We only see him hovering there.

    And on these boards, EVERY feat has to be explained in detail. That is the point.

  14. #194
    Member Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oshawa, Canada
    Posts
    963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Dudes, seeing as we are entering a yes no argument.

    Wait a day or two for a mod to settle this in.

    In the meantime, sit back, relax, go to a Christmas party. Whatever you wish to, just stop the thread from growing another three pages overnight.

    Word. Would be better off just copy and pasting the stuff we have already said over and over again.

  15. #195
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    somewhere nice
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    He stopped his flight. That doesn't mean he was moving at FTL speeds when he did. The only one seeing otherwise is you. Cause guess what? it isn't a reliable scan and it does not show he has ftl reflex's. We only see him hovering there.

    And on these boards, EVERY feat has to be explained in detail. That is the point.
    That aside, let's just wait for the mods or whatever.

    I still think my claim is more likely but differing opinions and all that.
    Last edited by Gram; 12-24-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •