Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Conqueror Worm? Was that a Hellboy story? If I'm being honest I've never read many of the Hellboy stories, the writing style just feels different to me between it and BPRD and I just can't get into Hellboy the same as BPRD.

And as long as Liz and Abe survive I'll be happy. If they die. . . Well, then I don't know what I'll do, but it'll involve alot of crying and violence. Violence must likely against the wall with various things.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    I think the world will end. As Scott Allie said in the last Hellmail, "Mike has always said that when a character dies in his books, they just become more interesting. The same might be true for the Earth."

Whatever comes after that will be really interesting...
    I think that even if the world wouldn't end, the narratives are still gonna push and challenge any readers' viewpoints onto the possibility of it, to the extreme.

Because narrative would be about how any stuff would matter, about how the world or some stuff at least would be hanging in the balance, with any agents both as Hellboy with his destiny - or be it the Ogru Jahad's destiny as linked to that - also as hanging in the balance. It seems obvious to me any characters or any story-world would need to be subject to change on a constant.

Because such would be imperative for narratives to be doing: keeping things subject to change, with putting anything under the strain of potentially getting affected.

Stories always do that, as if 'status quo' would really be the death of them.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 12-28-2012 at 08:00 AM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCollector222 View Post
    And as long as Liz and Abe survive I'll be happy. If they die. . . Well, then I don't know what I'll do, but it'll involve alot of crying and violence. Violence must likely against the wall with various things.
    So you feel you wanna be favoring only certain characters in certain moments in time? You can do that 'though, can't you?
    Stories and story moments can be revisited due to being fiction?
    For all the action figures or statues or illustrations on certain freezeframed shots or presences that are out there for fiction? As if the want for such would be totally allowed or up to you?

Although you couldn't blame or fault any narratives or stories for being to continue past such points with being to alter and change and end and all that, I'd say.
    Since that would be what fiction is like as well: stories and narratives that pass or develop.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~

Oh look at you with all you're philosophical questions, lol.

But yeah, I understand that you can always reread the old stories, but that doesn't change the fact that they died, if they die, I get really attached to certain characters in media and it always hurts if they die, I just don't want to see it happen to Liz or Abe, as I know that while I can always re read their old stories, that won't change the fact that unless a miracle happens in their world there will never be a new story with them.

And that's what I think, that they may push the end of the world happening, but then it won't cause they'll manage to stop it, if that's what you're saying in that previous post. Cause digging through my old comics I found my copy of Conqueror Worm, which it seems was my last Hellboy book, and a swamp world inhabited by frogs, well, I honestly can't imagine as great storytelling coming from that as what we got. Then again I'm not a great writer like Mignola, so I may just be to limited a thinker, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCollector222 View Post
    Oh look at you with all you're philosophical questions
    Haha me philosophical? I just take any stuff for what it could be I guess.

Be it stories or drink or food or hammers and nails for a fence to mend.

Although yeah if philosophizin' would loom or lurk among anything I wouldn't ever shy away.

You should hear me at sheds or around any tools or like when any hammer would come banging me on the finger.

I'd philosophize or give it a name 'till it hurt, but then who wouldn't?
    . ~

hello do you guys think DH will collect a omnibus for BPRD 1947-1948, being human and (possibly) vampire? they could name it BPRD: the early years :D if they are going to do that im inclined to get the PoF HC. the only thing that is keeping me from doing so is that i am pretty anal when it comes to the 'look' on my bookcase and it would be odd to have a bprd trade that has a spine with a volume number 13 (for 1947) at the base..

i'll probably get the HoE trades. i cant wait 2 years for an omnibus!

Quote Originally Posted by lex1126 View Post
    hello do you guys think DH will collect a omnibus for BPRD 1947-1948, being human and (possibly) vampire? they could name it BPRD: the early years :D if they are going to do that im inclined to get the PoF HC. the only thing that is keeping me from doing so is that i am pretty anal when it comes to the 'look' on my bookcase and it would be odd to have a bprd trade that has a spine with a volume number 13 (for 1947) at the base..

i'll probably get the HoE trades. i cant wait 2 years for an omnibus!
    Well, Mike Mignola has said he wants to do an omnibus for 1946-1948 (the Secret Origins trilogy), but Scott Allie has also said there are no current plans (especially since the final issue of 1948 isn't even out yet). I think it's very likely there will be a B.P.R.D.: Secret Origins omnibus at some point in the future, but not the near future. The fact that Mike Mignola wants to do it though says it'll probably become a priority sooner rather than later. I wouldn't expect it for at least twelve months minimum.

Vampire continues on from the Secret Origins trilogy, and it's likely there will be more stories to follow, but they aren't written yet, so an omnibus at this point is just too far off into the future to contemplate.

B.P.R.D.: Being Human doesn't really fit with the 1940's stories. If it is ever collected in an omnibus, it will be with stories that are of a similar type. Mike Mignola doesn't just put out a book because there's enough material to fill it. That would be too haphazard.

Hell on Earth omnibuses are still a long way off. However, Scott Allie has spoken about the possibility of Hell on Earth becoming a fortnightly title. Keep in mind this is a very big maybe at this point, but if it happens, there will be about 4 trades of Hell on Earth a year. At that rate, it's possible Hell on Earth may actually be finished in three or four years time.

But until anything is announced, this is all just speculation. The simple fact of the matter is omnibuses take time to come together, especially if DH wants to maintain the high quality they've displayed so far.
    Last edited by Middenway; 01-22-2013 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    Well, Mike Mignola has said he wants to do an omnibus for 1946-1948 (the Secret Origins trilogy), but Scott Allie has also said there are no current plans (especially since the final issue of 1948 isn't even out yet). I think it's very likely there will be a B.P.R.D.: Secret Origins omnibus at some point in the future, but not the near future. The fact that Mike Mignola wants to do it though says it'll probably become a priority sooner rather than later. I wouldn't expect it for at least twelve months minimum.

Vampire continues on from the Secret Origins trilogy, and it's likely there will be more stories to follow, but they aren't written yet, so an omnibus at this point is just too far off into the future to contemplate.

B.P.R.D.: Being Human doesn't really fit with the 1940's stories. If it is ever collected in an omnibus, it will be with stories that are of a similar type. Mike Mignola doesn't just put out a book because there's enough material to fill it. That would be too haphazard.

Hell on Earth omnibuses are still a long way off. However, Scott Allie has spoken about the possibility of Hell on Earth becoming a fortnightly title. Keep in mind this is a very big maybe at this point, but if it happens, there will be about 4 trades of Hell on Earth a year. At that rate, it's possible Hell on Earth may actually be finished in three or four years time.

But until anything is announced, this is all just speculation. The simple fact of the matter is omnibuses take time to come together, especially if DH wants to maintain the high quality they've displayed so far.
    thanks! i just realised that being human is not numbered on its spine, so it could be just a standalone collection of stories, much like masks and monsters. i will wait and see if the 1948 trade is numbered 15 :D.

on that note, any idea if there is a 1949? i've seen speculations floating around on other boards..

i guess for my bookcase, its gonna be hellboy trades, PoF omnibuses, and HoE trades, with Hellboy in Hell Singles! i can now die a happy man.

thanks! i just realised that being human is not numbered on its spine, so it could be just a standalone collection of stories, much like masks and monsters. I will wait and see if the 1948 trade is numbered 15 :D.
    B.P.R.D.: Being Human was the first B.P.R.D. trade released after the omnibuses came out. When each omnibus hits the shelves, all the books it collects will no longer be reprinted, which means B.P.R.D. trades 1-8, 10-12, and 14 will no longer exist when their current print run is sold out. This means the numbering on the spine would only serve to confuse people, so it was removed (a number 15 on its spine would make people wonder where the twelve missing B.P.R.D. books are). Unlike Masks and Monsters, Being Human is in continuity.

I'm not sure what will happen with 1948 or Vampire though. There is no immediate plan to collect Being Human, so no number on the spine makes sense if it's going to be on the shelf for several years, but 1948 will probably get collected relatively soon into an omnibus, so maybe it will be numbered. We'll have to wait and see.

on that note, any idea if there is a 1949? i've seen speculations floating around on other boards..
    Unless their plans change, no. When 1946 first came out, Joshua Dysart spoke about writing 1949 and on into the fifties, but that's no longer the case. Mike Mignola has since said 1948 is the last of these B.P.R.D. [insert date here] stories. Dark Horse also started to refer to these books as "the Secret Origins trilogy," I think as a way to indicate the third book would be the last. However, this doesn't mean the end of these flashback books as Vampire has already shown. Mike Mignola has already spoken about the possibility of more books with Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba with the Simon Anders character, so there could be much more to follow.