View Poll Results: Should the Diana Prince secret identity exist

Voters
93. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

37 39.78%
  • No

30 32.26%
  • Maybe

6 6.45%
  • Depends on the reason

20 21.51%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Gone

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I feel having a secret identity, forces the character to have a set supporting cast and a city to live in. Something that has been surely missing since Perez removed her secret idenity.
    She now can live in any city she feels like. London- Paris-New York.
    And she can hang with everything, from english rockmen to pregnant farmgirls.

Your post suggests you want to ground her, in effect "limiting" her to your notion of a "normal person´s" sphere of existence:
    A 9 to 5 day job, meek human attire, putting up with a boss, watching soap operas on the couch.... all things I wouldn´t want to see in an empowering Wonder Woman.

Well, maybe except watching soap operas on the couch.
    That's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia View Post
    She now can live in any city she feels like. London- Paris-New York.
    And she can hang with everything, from english rockmen to pregnant farmgirls.

Your post suggests you want to ground her, in effect "limiting" her to your notion of a "normal person´s" sphere of existence:
    A 9 to 5 day job, meek human attire, putting up with a boss, watching soap operas on the couch.... all things I wouldn´t want to see in an empowering Wonder Woman.

Well, maybe except watching soap operas on the couch.
    That's awesome.
    Unless Diana opens up her own place to work.

Gone

Quote Originally Posted by UsagiTsukino View Post
    Unless Diana opens up her own place to work.
    You talking private enterprise or base of operations?

In that case, she should have come up with Diana Princess.
    Hence the line or two of cutsey dialogue:

Steve: Yeah, Princess, is, a bit on the nose, doesn't really sound like a surname. If you like, sure, we can use it. There are people named Moon Unit for crying out loud. Whatever you like!

Diana: What do you suggest?

Steve: What about Prince?

Diana: Well, if it's just for the paperwork... but I do like the ring of it.

Done. Not that I'm in favor of it, but it could be done. (And my dialogue is intended to be an example of great banter, btw, just a really, rough ham handed way of how one might get from a to b)

I'm all for Wonder Woman gaining back her Diana Prince secret identity.

She wouldn't be deceiving anybody in the sense some here think.
    Diana needs down time from Paparazzi and villains. It would also serve her in
    blending into society and learning more about the everyday life of a normal person.
    Can't be an ambassador if you don't know what you're talking about or to whom.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk_fan View Post
    I'm all for Wonder Woman gaining back her Diana Prince secret identity.

She wouldn't be deceiving anybody in the sense some here think.
    Diana needs down time from Paparazzi and villains. It would also serve her in
    blending into society and learning more about the everyday life of a normal person.
    Can't be an ambassador if you don't know what you're talking about or to whom.
    She doesn't need to be Diana Prince to do that. Being, I don't know, Jennifer Smith, or even Diana Smith would be much better. A two-year-old woul see right through anybody called Daina Prince who looked exactly like Wonder Woman.

To compare, if it was publically known Superman is an alien called Kal-El, and his secret ID would be Kal Aliens, nobody'd buy it for a heartbeat, glasses and hair or not.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

The most important aspect of the secret id in terms of narrative is to allow the reader to see the hero in situations where people are not treating them as a celebrity. Tony Stark was already famous so it hardly mattered.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

Gone

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    The most important aspect of the secret id in terms of narrative is to allow the reader to see the hero in situations where people are not treating them as a celebrity. Tony Stark was already famous so it hardly mattered.
    There are plenty of moments in the Ironman comic where Tony Stark is not treated as a celebrity.
    Same would happen to Diana.
    At some point, people will go from
    "- ZOMFG! Princess Diana is having a latte at my joint!!!!!!!1ONE!!"
    to
    "- Hi, Diana! What can I get you?"

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    She doesn't need to be Diana Prince to do that. Being, I don't know, Jennifer Smith, or even Diana Smith would be much better. A two-year-old woul see right through anybody called Daina Prince who looked exactly like Wonder Woman.

To compare, if it was publically known Superman is an alien called Kal-El, and his secret ID would be Kal Aliens, nobody'd buy it for a heartbeat, glasses and hair or not.
    I think that if anyone is bound to guess that Diana is Wonder Woman that they will do so way before hearing the name "Diana Prince". In fact, I'm willing to bet that if she changed clothes into Wonder Woman in front of someone she already knows they'd say 'Gee, you look like Wonder Woman'.

If someone doesn't want her to be Diana Prince, it's fine. To each his/her own.... but I don't think the name would be pivotal in giving her away. Unless they were blind.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I'm not sure I follow your line of thinking here, Mr. Brett.

Sure, a secret ID can allow for the narrative to provide such opportunities - and such can make for good stories. But it isn't so important that a very good story can't be told without it. Also, I don't see why every hero in DC (and WW specifically) need it. Iron Man did just fine without having "people are not treating [him] as a celebrity," right? Do we want all DC heroes playing at the same basic secret ID games?

Also, it reminds me of a celebrity story I heard a few years ago. An American pro football player said he likes to go home for Thanksgiving because there his sisters just treat me as their little brother; he's not a celebrity to them. In other words, there's more than one way to show "situations where people are not treating them as a celebrity," and a secret ID is not required.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

So my real familiarity with Diana is the original tv show and the Justice League cartoon. I never really read her comic, which is a shame. So, it may sound bias, but I liked the idea of Diana being known as an ambassador and Wonder Woman. It just made her so much cooler. She was like Tony Stark to me. No secret idea.

By the way, if someone recommends some great issues to read, please let me know!
    Check out my sci-fi webcomic https://www.facebook.com/eonviant
    Connect with me on Twitter https://twitter.com/TristanMcClark

No. No ID.

10char

You talking private enterprise or base of operations?
    I like that her base of operations is where every she lives. Private Enterprise.

Gone

Quote Originally Posted by UsagiTsukino View Post
    I like that her base of operations is where every she lives. Private Enterprise.
    No argument from me there.

What if Diana opened a fitness center and counseling center . Lol imagine if she got her citizenship from Zeus.